Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 or 1.8 or 2.0!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche72914
recently i picked up a 1972 porsche 914 and im not sure if its a 1.7 , 1.8 or a 20
if someone could give me any tips on this i would be very thankful.

also the previous owner had said there were borsch exsuast on and an 911 reflector on the back im not sure if this is any good but now theres an electric trunk popper so i could open the trunk
ArtechnikA
if it is the original engine and has not been swapped out or enlarged during a rebuild, it is a 1,7 -- them's the choices for 1972.

lots of engines have been enlarged at least a little during rebuild, and lots of early cars have had later (larger) engines swapped in (they're all pretty much interchangeable). a check of the engine code (serial number prefix) will tell you what it was before a rebuild.

i owned a '72 1,7 for a while and liked it a lot; they can be lots of fun.

oh -- and -- WELCOME !!!
porsche72914
thankyou and are "bursche" exuast any good i was looking at them yesterday and they have some type of bizare like twistey pipes
ArtechnikA
some people like Busch exhaust; they seem to work on /4 but Roger never really made them work as well as the factory stuff on the 6-cyl cars. the mild steel rusts in a flash. there are exhausts that will make (a little) more power but with more power comes more price.

headers want equal-length pipes; on a flat engine, that's going to involve some twists and turns.
SirAndy
QUOTE (porsche72914 @ Aug 26 2005, 12:19 AM)
recently i picked up a 1972 porsche 914 and im not sure if its a 1.7 , 1.8 or a 20
if someone could give me any tips on this i would be very thankful.

find the engine number and compare it to the list in the "914 Info" section.
1.7/1.8 have 4 studs where the intake runners mount to the heads, 2.0 have 3 studs.

as for the bursch exhaust, they are a good choice. if the exhaust has more than one exhaust pipe (like 4 tips, 2 on each side) it's not a bursch, but rather a monza, which is not very much liked by the guys around here ...

cool.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.