Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Into the light......after 20 years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chromatech
I asked for advice awhile back on restoration, whether to restore to stock or lightly customize.......and had some really good arguments from both sides.

I thought I was starting out with an unmolested car but the PPO did some really nasty repairs.

Here are a couple of pics as it emerges from the garage where it's been hiding for 20 years.

I'll be looking for alot more advice and probably parts over the next few months.

Thanks

Todd
Chromatech
....and on the truck
Chromatech
oops....such a newbie headbang.gif
Ferg
Are those Amber/Yellow Fog lights up front? If so how about a close up pic?

Good luck on your project. Love the wheels, I have a set as well.

Ferg
Chromatech
QUOTE (Ferg @ Aug 26 2005, 09:31 AM)

Good luck on your project. Love the wheels, I have a set as well.

Ferg

Yes they are amber fog lights which I thought were on cars destined for France, but no euro tail or front signals??? I'll post some pics tonight (I'm in the process of tearing everything off).

Todd
JerryP
A little more rust and I would have thought you took that right out of my garage.
Chromatech

Ferg, you wanted a close-up of the amber fogs. I pulled the front bumper tonight and took a pic before I removed the fogs.

Todd
maf914
QUOTE (JerryP @ Aug 26 2005, 09:42 AM)
A little more rust and I would have thought you took that right out of my garage.

I thought I was looking at the same car, until I reread your post and checked the screen names! laugh.gif

Two yellow cars with ATS wheels. What a coincidence. idea.gif
JoeSharp
I bought a yellow 2L with ATS wheels, but the frame was bent and along with some rust probalems it got parted. So the ATS's went on my bug.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Midtowner
All right! Another 914 rescued from the garage! Mine was kept in my fathers garage for 16 years! We pulled it out of there last December. IMHO: Replace your brake rotors. They have deep rust in them. Congratulations! aktion035.gif
Chromatech
While stripping down the car I noticed some tell tale signs of filler.........after a little digging I couldn't believe how bad it was.....
Chromatech
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Aug 27 2005, 12:20 PM)
. IMHO: Replace your brake rotors. They have deep rust in them.

Rotors are the least of my worries........sawzall-smiley.gif

Todd
Ferg
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Aug 26 2005, 06:20 PM)
Are those Amber/Yellow Fog lights up front?  If so how about a close up pic?

Ferg, you wanted a close-up of the amber fogs. I pulled the front bumper tonight and took a pic before I removed the fogs.

Todd

thanks for the pic.

Ferg
SirAndy
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Aug 27 2005, 03:01 PM)
While stripping down the car I noticed some tell tale signs of filler.........after a little digging I couldn't believe how bad it was.....

icon8.gif
that's quite a layer of filler you got on there ...

looks like it's time for another acid-dippin ...
smash.gif Andy
Katmanken
Yup,

Bondo is porous and I have always found rust under it. That grey primer is too.

Better get some self etching primer- it's waterproof. Some fillers are too. Read the can.

Ken
pete-stevers
thats a little rough, what does the underside look like?
rhodyguy
is the plate on the bumper from canada?

k
turbo914v8
Where in Ontario Canada are you located, I am in Courtice. Always looking for a local teener to hang out with beerchug.gif
Chromatech
The bondo was pretty much limited to the sail panel and front top of the quarters. They did a poor job of the patching but the rust you see is from the recent exposure.Some bondo on the drivers door as well. Someone had brazed newer metal (20+ years ago) right over the existing rocker panels..... The longitudinals will need repairing but the floor, hell hole, firewall, tunnel etc are in pretty good shape. smash.gif

It's officially a project ....

Cheers beerchug.gif
Chromatech
Someone asked about the plate..yes it's the PO's plate from New Brunswick (1978) last registered in 1981.

Turbo Paul:

I'm located in Brockville and I drive through your area (Oshawa/Courtice) at least once a month.

Todd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.