Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freaky...Check it out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Mess with your head...its all spinning...
Jenny
Okay, if you're not paranoid before, you will be after looking at those. Thanks! headbang.gif

Jen
ThinAir
Just what is it? It's pretty wierd - stuff only spins when it is in your peripheral vision. When you look right at it, it stops!
Alfred
They don't ever really spin (they're jpeg images) it just seems that way. It's probably our brains interpolating or somethin'.

Alfred
TimT
most of my world looked like that through HS and college

Oops

LOL

dance.gif tunez.gif
MarkV
Binocular vision? Close one eye & it stops. w00t.gif
TheCabinetmaker
1970, college at O.U., orange sunshine, flashbacks.
Oh yeah!
Mike D.
QUOTE(MarkV @ Jul 29 2003, 01:22 PM)
Binocular vision? Close one eye & it stops. w00t.gif

nope...

visual memory retention. each circle is a little different and your brain trys to make them all the same. so in peripheral vision they appear to move...

I just made that up... laugh.gif

-Mike D.
airsix
Cool. It's the worlds first animated jpg! I guess you'd call it "passive animation".
That old Russian commic would say "Moving pictures? No. In Soviet Russia picture is move you!"
-Ben M.
drew365
If you stare at one spot and don't move your eyes they stop moving. I'm sure it has something to do with the refresh rate of the monitor. If you had that sheet in your hand they wouldn't move, I hope. Or maybe they really are coming to take me away, ha, ha.
Dave Blackburn
Try this one. Stare at the center of the spiral for 20 seconds then look at the other picture.
I used to have a vinyl music record with this picture on it. Good party trick.
http://dogfeathers.com/java/spirals.html
Pnambic
QUOTE(Alfred @ Jul 29 2003, 04:18 PM)
They don't ever really spin (they're jpeg images) it just seems that way. It's probably our brains interpolating or somethin'.

Alfred

I hate it when my brain interpolates...
EdwardBlume
OH NO MY EYEBALL POPPED OUT. Well actually it didn't. Cool pict... cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jul 29 2003, 02:31 PM)
visual memory retention. each circle is a little different and your brain trys to make them all the same. so in peripheral vision they appear to move...

actually, you're dead on wink.gif

look at each pic closely and you'll notice that the black/white stripe next to the green is reverse in every other pic.

your brain "thinks" they're all the same and then trys to adjust for the differences ...

cool!
Andy
Jenny
You're so smart Andy. wub.gif Your explanation sounds much better than our brains interpolating. That sounds scary.

Jen
Mike D.
Wait, I should be the smart one! I'm the one that came up with what Andy Confimed... smash.gif

"hey, I get no respect, NO respect!" - r.d.

Good Guesser,
Mike D.
Alfred
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jul 30 2003, 09:58 AM)
You're so smart Andy. wub.gif  Your explanation sounds much better than our brains interpolating. That sounds scary.

Jen

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

interpolate

v 1: estimate the value of; in mathematics [syn: extrapolate] 2: insert words into texts [syn: alter, falsify]

Your brain is trying to make sense of what you're seeing and it's "giving its best estimate". You got a better word?

Alfred
Jenny
You know Alfred, it's a good thing you've always got the Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary in your back pocket to keep us all in check. Thanks. Really.

Jen
Alfred
I "Googled" it and you're welcome.
Aaron Cox
lol....make it stop!!!! ahhhh!. thanks. thats cool smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.