Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tire issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
I put the tires on the teener to actually DRIVE it...

I eased it down, I noticed the rear was too low and the front is too high(no hood and almost no gas in the tank though)

the rear tires were rubbing the fender (which it didn't do before) I had changed shocks, and put new rear Bils on with shorter, 120# springs on, so I thought it just needed adjusting... I raised it up 2 spots, same thing, still rubbing(just not as much, but if I hit a bump, whoa nelly... ) so I inspected further... fronts and rears are BOTH 195/50s, but different brands... on the rear was Federals and the front had FIsk... don't blame me, I didn't pick them... they were put on by the PO...

the rears, eventhough they are the same size and rims are the same, the rears(federals) were ballooning MUCH more on the OUTSiDE than the fisks on the front... so, out of curiosity, I swapped the tires to where the fisks are on the rear now... no rubbing. everything great! smilie_pokal.gif

is that not the most F'd up thing?!?! wacko.gif

btw, the car moved under it's own power for the first time in 2 over years!! today I drive it to make sure everything is ok(other than the front sticking up too high) and tonight it goes to the new house.

beerchug.gif
URY914
clap.gif Good for you!!! clap.gif

As far as the tires, not all tires with the same numbers on them are the same size. And also you need to drive it a little for the shocks and springs to "set".

Paul
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 26 2005, 02:51 PM)
...the rears, eventhough they are the same size and rims are the same, the rears(federals) were ballooning MUCH more on the OUTSiDE than the fisks on the front...

is that not the most F'd up thing?!?!

that, my friend, if the difference between the treadwidth - which is the number on the tire, and the "section width" (which is what most of us care about in dealing with fitment issues). if you're lucky, you can find the section width listed in a table at a site like Tire Rack's or the tire manufacturer's.

it gets really extreme with "cantilever" slicks. the common " 8" " slick has a section width over 10".
Tom Perso
Whoh... Wait a minute.

Your car drives?

Get the F outta here... smilie_pokal.gif

How's that 2056?

Tom
tat2dphreak
How's that 2056?

running good, I need to play with the timing, but it's close... when I started it last night it was trying to idle WAY too high, but now it's idling a little low... seems strong though!! starts and runs like a CHAMP!!! starts as easy as a new car!

Your car drives?

I drove it a little today... I need to bleed the brakes again... I bled them about 2 months ago when I got the rebuilts from Eric( shea) but I also messed around with a bunch of crap since then, and the brakes felt squishy and required a few pumps to get going... keep in mind this is the first time I've driven THIS 914 EVER... it was trailered from houston, and has been in a garage for 2 years without moving under it's own power...

that, my friend, if the difference between the treadwidth - which is the number on the tire, and the "section width" (which is what most of us care about in dealing with fitment issues).

ok... I'll have to look it up, but thesse tires are a few years old so I won't hold my breath. they work in the arrangement I have now... until I get some better Rims and tires anyway.

And also you need to drive it a little for the shocks and springs to "set".

yea, it already looks better... the fronts are lower, more level.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me this far!

tat2dphreak
the car made it, under it's own power to the new house... 14 mile trip... small accomplishment, sure, but good feeling all the same...

some of my quick, temp fixes didn't last... first of all, the front shocks are bad(I knew already, and have the replacements) well, they are so bad they shook the battery cables loose and changed the adjustments on the headlights... not a show stopper though...

the other things was I'd used little screws on the carbs to connect to the linkage arms... well those fell off... so, wire ties had to make it the rest of the way...

also, the throttle needed a good spring to pull it off the carbs, BUT the one I used was too strong... it felt like I had to give a LOT off pressure to get a little throttle... again, no biggie for the purposes

the carbs were backfiring a little above 3200 rpm, so I need to adjust the timing, I'd adjusted it by ear at idle and it idles freaking great!!

more tommorrow...been a long ass day in 100+ temps
Bertus
Cool Wayne, congrats on getting the teener to the new home! How did your move go? Stressful I'm sure. Hope you enjoy your new home!

Bert
spare time toys
I think the big move is next weekend cause he is not going to the MUSR so he can move. I am glad to hear about the drive CONGRATS smilie_pokal.gif
tat2dphreak
yep, big move next week, which is why I miss MUSR this year... we moved some boxes and the garage stuff this weekend to avoid paying garage rent for an extra month...

you'll have to come over to the new place when we have our big BBQ Larry! beerchug.gif it'll be when things cool down though.

Bert, I think the night we officially move -in we are going to break into the Bourbon and get toasty! drunk.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.