Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No starty
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I just put in my 2.0 from the white car. Hasn't been run in a year or so, but it ran great when I drove it last. New CHT and ballast resistor, checked out MPS, ECU and wiring. It is a 73 2.0 with all checked and matched components.

It turns over, fuel pump runs but won't catch. I popped the valve cover on cyl number one and reset my timing, so I know I am close enough to start and am not 180 degrees off.

Wiring is all where it should be, I know I need to check the CHT again with a meter, and set the dwell again to be sure. What else should I check?
bondo
Narrow it down by pulling plugs after an attempt and check for gas.. if there's gas, look for ignition probs, if no gas, look for FI probs (trigger points, relay board, etc.)
TravisNeff
Relay board was fine as of about 4 days ago, trigger points are new. I will do the plug check and also check for spark
Trekkor
Make sure the plug wires are right.

( is the rotor in there? dumb. i know. )

Power at coil?

Does it fire if you squirt sarting fluid?

Start simple...

KT
TravisNeff
Rotor is there, first thing I checked. Plug wires are right, hard to goof on a 2.0 with the short and tall connectors. Haven't tried starting fluid yet.

I'll take a look tomorrow. I am tired and getting loopy, I replaced the starter because it wouldn't turn over. Turns out I put the main wiring plug on the relay plate 1 plug off. At least the starter I put in spins a lot faster than the other, so I guess it was worth the wasted effort.
JoeSharp
Hey Travis: I never think time is wasted on a 914 if nothing I learn how much head space I have to fill in. It always the same thing, go back to the basics, timing, spark, compression and is it getting fule? Even if your starter is working check your grounds and the batterie wires and terminals at both ends, the red wires that are on the positive batterie terminal. Besides it spins faster now and that means faster starts.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Joe Ricard
Ground wire to the tranny?
TravisNeff
Thanks Joe, you are right - back to basics.

I have the ground strap hooked up on the tranny, and another on on the case going to the battery ground point. FI Grounds are good too. I am sure it is something simple.
TravisNeff
smilie_pokal.gif

Basics it was... The points were fried!

I think when I had the engine harness plugged in 1 slot off that did it. Did what Trekkor suggested with starting fluid and it woulnd't run. Took a look at the points and though the wire sheathing on the points was a little bubbly.

Replaced the points and it started right up. It needs some adjustments here and there but I am on the home stretch.

Glad I didn't put my new pertronix in before I put the engine in the car - I would have killed it for sure.

Thanks all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.