Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting sails
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pfierb
Some place I saw an article about painting the sails can't remember what kind of black paint was used it was textured that I remember.....anyone know? I have a new set of vinyl sails but hate the looks of them.

Paul F.
campbellcj
I believe that 3M makes a textured "splatter" satin paint that is pretty 'close' to the look of vinyl. I may have the info on file somewhere but a good paint shop should be able to steer you in the right direction.

This may actually be the same type of splatter paint you would use on a (bare/sanded) 914 targa top as well.
campbellcj
Or, esp. if you are painting the rest of the car anyway, you could go to body color and also ditch some of the polished aluminum trim. That looks nice if done well. If you're not painting the whole car, however, then getting the sail panels to match the body paint could be difficult.
flesburg
There is a rattle can paint made (by Duplicolor I think) called truck bed liner. About $10 a can.

I painted the front FG bumper and spoiler and rockers panels on my DE car with it. Does not look bad! Withstands chips better than paint.

Get a can and try it on some scrap metal.
TravisNeff
Rocker shutz? Would match the top and the rockers...
flesburg
A picture of the truck bed paint on FG front of DE car
maf914
Dale, Where did you get your front spoiler/air dam? Is it still made? Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.