Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Family Member!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbenitah
Hey guys,
Well, I did the trip to Huntington Beach tonight abd picked up my car! My first 914 1.8L -74... I was so excited!
Although it wasnt as smooth as i was dreaming this past week.. I had to go through LA traffic and on a friday night, dunno if anyone has been through it, it sucks! anyhow, i started when the sun was up, bu after a mile going 2.3 MPH I hit the dark and it was time to turn on the lights... well, It was only the left light that turned on.. well, i shouldnt say turn on, but opened up... So i was scared of getting a ticket all the way home, so i stoped at a gas station... to try to fix it.. I was looking for the emergency "pop up" but couldnt find it since im not sure there is one???? anyhow. Since i told you guys earlier, the alternator wasnt charging the battery, so when i turned the car off to try to fix the light, i couldnt turn it back on again.. NO BATTERY! Well, had to find someone with jumper cables.. so this Land Rover pulls up next to me in the parking lot and out comes three HOT girls.. I asked them nicely if they had jumper cables and they did! All good so far... The this patroll officer comes up and asks whats going on at this dark parking spot... Sorry officer I just bought my dream car and now i have troubles with the battery. But these nice young (18 maybe hahah) Ladies helped me get it stared again... So back on the road! The end of this WAY to long story is that even though it seams like the worst night ever! It was the best night of my life i a car! I am so happy with my 914! I was going down I-5 with the top of and feeling like the king of the world! Dunno if you guys have the same feeling, but i just felt that i had to post this when i got home!!!
Here is some pics i took of the car before i drove it home!

Thanks for listening and ANY tips for a newbie is helpful!
I'll take the car to my mechanic tomorrow and hopefully I only have to switch the Shocks and the alternator, but im guessing its more, since the previous owner did not take good care of her!

Looking forward of being a part of your "family"!!!

Sincerely

Cristopher

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
VegasRacer
Congratulations and Welcome to the Club. smilie_pokal.gif
No wonder those hot girls stopped to help. That is a sexy looking car.

To get the headlights to pop up by hand, turn the knob at the back of the motor.
MecGen
Hey Cristo

Welcome to the club smilie_pokal.gif

Electrical problems are a bitch but believe me, worst things happen with a 914

welder.gif

Your gonna love it here

later
joeav8tor
cristopher,
welcome to the club...get a Haynes manual...between that and guys here at the club...your questions will be answered about repairs. You should attempt to work on your car yourself...it will give you a good understanding of how the car works...if you have to take it to your mechanic every time it breaks down...it will become extremely costly due to the fact that you have to drop the motor for a lot of repairs. Get a good jack and lots of jackstands. Good luck with the car, it looks great.
Joe flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
plas76targa
Christopher,
Welcome aboard. And yes, we experience the same excitement driving our cars. You'll see it here posted by many of us. For me, the weather here in MD has cooled nicely that I've been driving my car the whole week to work - 120 mile round trip.

keep your fingers away from the headlamps while turning those manual pop ups knobs. With the power on, the lights can open and close surprisingly. You wouldn't want to have your fingers pinched into the car when those girls drove up in the land rover!

and read, read, read. ditto on the haynes manual. Use the search function here too. Lot's to learn by others trials and tribulations.

oh and btw, nice looking car. Interior looks sharp!
Bertus
QUOTE (joeav8tor @ Aug 27 2005, 04:00 AM)
cristopher,
welcome to the club...get a Haynes manual...between that and guys here at the club...your questions will be answered about repairs. You should attempt to work on your car yourself...it will give you a good understanding of how the car works...if you have to take it to your mechanic every time it breaks down...it will become extremely costly due to the fact that you have to drop the motor for a lot of repairs. Get a good jack and lots of jackstands. Good luck with the car, it looks great.
Joe flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif

agree.gif

Welcome to the club and congrats on the car. Wish my interior looked like that! btw this place is an awesome resource for information!

Bert
ThemWyatts
Welcome to the club, Christopher!

There are some really super people on this board, I am glad that you found it.. READ READ READ all that you can!

I hope you that have more Land Rover episodes in your teener, minus the breaking down part!

All the best!

skline
Well, none of the images pull up for me but welcome to the club. If you are ever back up in this area, stop by and let me take a look at your car. I have tons of parts I am sure you will be needing and we have get togethers all the time. You are more than welcome to join us and share in our friendship. If you have questions, ask away, someone here has already had the same problem you will run into with these cars.
Gint
Welcome to the club! You need to learn the "roll start" method. But then you wouldn't have gotten help from the hotties.

Looks like a pretty nice teener.
cbenitah
Thanks guys for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to be apart of the non club for non members like someone so nicely put it in my last thread.

I just came back from my PPI (i think thats what it is) anyhow, here is what was "wrong" with the car,

( i apologize if i dont know the right terms yet, but i learn as i go..)

I needed a new regulator board, new air flow meter, A FAN BELT! Who doesnt have a fan belt, hahah.. New right headligt motor, shock adjustment, oil change, and some minor details i forgot for now. The car runs strong right now, charges the battery just fine and I feel great driving along the beach targa off.

My mechanic said it will be around $3800 (included carbureturs convertion) for everything that needs to be done, which i wasnt super happy about. But I did do the minor ones so i can drive it.

I will continue and read on and let me know if anyone is close to san diego and like to help newbies beer.gif

Thanks Cris in San Diego!
MoveQik
Welcome! Nice looking car. beerchug.gif
Trekkor
Alright!

great looking car and interior.
Western wheels with the "legendary" center caps. clap.gif

Dunno if you guys have the same feeling

Uh, yeah... rolleyes.gif

Welcome and have fun.

KT
Brando
welcome aboard the club. Please keeps your seatbacks and tray tables in the upright position... The ride will be bumpy and offensive, yet satisfying and pleasing smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
you vil like it here --welcome ! before too long, you'll know everything about that car wink.gif
Marty
hmeeder
Welcome Cris!

Car looks good!

You happen to be in luck! Not only do you live in San Diego (has it been hot as hell or what? It's like driving on the surface of the sun) but you also happen to live in a 914 rich zone. I personally know about 30 owners within a 1 hour drive and every damn one of them will help a fellow teener out (as will any of the people on this forum.)

What shop are you taking your car to? There are good ones and better ones. None are cheap.

Some of that stuff can be had right here on this board. Just post a Needed or WTB ad in the classifieds. You'd be surprised at how quickly you will get a response.

One of the best ways to touch base with some knowledgeable guys is to stop by the next Autocross (September 10 at the 'Q'.) There are always a handful of teeners there and we'll be glad to help get you going in the right direction (just don't ask me any 1.8l questions. I don't fool wit none dat l-jet voodoo wink.gif )

Good luck and remember, the only stupid question is the one Miles knows the answer to. biggrin.gif
cbenitah
Thanks!
its been SO hot here in SD.... Fill me in on all of the owners wink.gif havent seen a single 914 here though....
I'm taking my car to Volkers German in Santee.. He is the only one I know i can trust.. personal reasons why..

Sept 10th... dont i have to b a member of the PCA before i go there? I would love to though, need to meet some people down here.. have lived here for a year now an havent meet to many good people..

looking forward to meet more SD people here!
Thanks!
Cris
ejm
Welcome to the club Cris! nice looking car

QUOTE (cbenitah @ Aug 27 2005, 01:44 PM)
I needed a new regulator board, new air flow meter, A FAN BELT!

My mechanic said it will be around $3800 (included carbureturs convertion)

Get a Haynes manual and ask a lot of questions here...you will soon be smarter than your mechanic and have money in your pocket
SirAndy
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Aug 27 2005, 02:44 PM)
My mechanic said it will be around $3800 (included carbureturs convertion)

you might want to start looking for a new mechanic ...

not so much because of the $3800 price tag, but because it sounds like your mechanic doesn't know how to deal with the stock FI thus suggesting to convert to carbs.
that's not the kind of mechanic i would trust to work on my car ...

besides that, nice car!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Get a new wrench....anyone that asks you to loose the FI and put on carbs is a moron. The light motor more than likely has a relay problem...etc...

BTW....PPIs are PRE purchase inspections and any defects are used to negotiate a better selling price... wink.gif

Go www.pca.org click on regions and find the San Diego PCA...they have MANY pro 914 wrenches and shade tree mechanics that will help you out....especially if you join.

You are in luck as the SD PCA is one of the best in the US....
Allan
Nice to meet ya.

If I was you I would try and hook up with some other non-members and have them take a look at your car.

You might only need a relay for the head light and not a new motor as an example.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.