Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Well I started the rebuild of my rear calipers and have found that they aren't exactly the same as the ones in Eric's rebuild thread. The retaining clip for the inner adjuster is different and has no provision for removal. headbang.gif

And how the hell do you get the little retainer clip off of the outer adjuster???
Allan
Got the retainer clip off of the outer adjuster and found that there is no seal on it. confused24.gif
Allan
Just got off the phone with Eric and after some pointers it's OUT!!!
Eric_Shea
Just got off the phone Alan... here's some answers for the ROW.

Outer Adjuster Clip (small one on the adjuster shaft outside the caliper) - The best method is a small screwdriver and a pick. Use them on each end of the clip. One to hold it stationary and the other to push it off the shaft. Get it partially off then put a finger on it and pry it the rest of the way off. The finger keeps it from flying across the garage. You'll never find it if it does...

Inner Adjuster Clip (large one inside the caliper holding the inner adjuster mechanism in place) - Alan is blessed with a late model car. 75-76's have this clip that has no holes in it for the spring pliers. The trick here is the small flathead screwdriver and pick again. The ends of the clip are cut at a 45 deg. angle. Slide the pick under the corner of the clip and pry toward the center. Slide the screwdriver under the back part of the clip that's exposed. Scoot the screwdriver along the back of the clip pulling more and more of it out of the groove. Get enough out and pry up with the screwdriver. It's best to mount it in a vise for this proceedure as you'll need both hand. Also, when getting ready to pry up to dislodge the clip... put you hand over the bore. Those clips can fly across the garage as well. And while you may not ever want to see it again, you'll need to. wink.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Aug 27 2005, 12:15 PM)
Also, when getting ready to pry up to dislodge the clip... put you hand over the bore. Those clips can fly across the garage as well.

agree.gif I was lucky and remembered at the last second. It WILL fly out.

Everything is clean and ready to re-assemble.

Any special grease or is any good quality grease okay?
Eric_Shea
No... get caliper lube.

Grease, like that carb cleaner you were going to use, can have an adverse effect on your seals. Use Mobile 1 synthetic on the inner adjuster sausage.

E.
TravisNeff
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Aug 27 2005, 11:33 AM)
Use Mobile 1 synthetic on the inner adjuster sausage, I personally like Jergens on my sausage.

E.

Damn, that was a little more than we needed to know! ohmy.gif
Eric_Shea
slap.gif
Allan
Just got back from my FLAPS. Jeez, synthetic brake caliper grease is expensive.

$15.00 for a little tub...... dry.gif
Allan
smilie_pokal.gif One down!!!
Allan
Well I got the calipers done and back on the car but for some reason I can't get the new rotors to line up true. Do you have to hammer them on to get them to seat up against the hub or someting? I tried using some spare lug nuts to cinch them down but I think I need a washer behind them because it looks like they are hitting the splines on the studs.

I notice a gap on the inside diameter of the rotor that is not even. The hub face and rotor are clean,
TravisNeff
No spacers or washers are needed that I am aware of. Are your hubs clean and free of rust and crap? That could hang you up.
Allan
monkeydance.gif I'm done!!!

Just gotta go out for a test driving.gif and see how it all works....

Prolly gonna need some more bleeding when I get back but I think I got most of it by myself.
Brando
if you hear SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHCHHCHCHHCHCHHCHCHHSKCH I think something might be broket still. :|
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.