Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An D - Jet Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
Driving to work the other morning it was cold and I pulled on the heat lever and the smell of gas was over powering. Pulled over and towed it home. It is a stock 1.7 w/ D Jet. What I found was the #1 injector is leaking between the yellow switch side and the black injector side. Well not just leaking, it looks like the gas station hose. I am really lucky that things didn't go boom when I turned on the heater fan.
So my question is can I repair this injector or do I need to replace it? And If I replace it is there a need to replace all 4? And of course if I can just replace one does someone have a used one sitting around.
Thanks guys.
JeffBowlsby
So my question is can I repair this injector or do I need to replace it? And If I replace it is there a need to replace all 4?

No. and Yes. If one is bad the others are not far from the same condition. Don't risk losing your car for such an important part.
lapuwali
It's most likely the hose at the end of the injector, unless the injector itself has somehow broken (seems unlikely). Pull the injector off the engine, and look at the small bit of hose on the end. These hoses are still available, I believe. If the hose is bad, plan on buying about 30 ft of FI hose and replacing ALL of the hoses on the car. If you don't, they'll progressively start leaking one after the other.
Michael J
I have the injector off the car and the little 90 degree hose is OK. Also the clamps were good and tight. Looks like the two halves of the injector are just separating.
TravisNeff
have had 3 or 4 injectors do that to me over the years. I assume there is an O-ring inside - but as far as I know it is not really servicable. I woulnd't risk using or trying to repair it.
Brando
Definitely replace with a set of new ones. Don't take chances when it comes to failing injectors... not something you want to mickey-mouse.
Michael J
After I cleaned up the fuel and just general dirt I pulled the coil wire and had the spousal unit crank the engine while I watched the injectors. Bad news. 3 of the 4 are leaking at that joint between the colors to one degree or another. At $195 each I had to go crack open the Jack D's. Oh and I also need a throttle position switch at about $100. So there is $900 into an old, running good, but old 1.7. Maybe this is the time to make the 2.0 liter swap. headbang.gif
JeffBowlsby
We feel your pain Mike. Someone had done an internet search recently for fuel injectors and founds sources that were much less expensive than the usual suspects. See if you can find the best deal, maybe someone will chime in and help out.
Michael J
Ok, so I wrapped this problem up. Searched back posts and found a couple similar problems. Also some past research on pricing. Parts America (Schucks online partner) has new Bosch injectors for a 1.7 D-Jet for $90.99 each. Much better than fighting with rebuilt or our usual over priced providers.
Ordered 4 new injectors and seal kits and should be on the road in a week.
clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.