Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trip Odometer Reset Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThemWyatts
Can anyone please tell me or show me (with pics) Where the trip odometer reset was originally installed? It eems that the previous owner thought this might be a bright idea to have it come out of the dash. By doing this, he left a metal prong protruding out of the dash. When you pull the prong cable comes snaking out of the dash. I have searched high and low to find a knob that will work. No luck. If anyone could please help me, I would greatly appreciate it.
Where was it originally? What should I do now?

ThemWyatts
Better perspective of where it is located...
Michael J
Look right under where the cable comes out of the dash now. The cable and knob pointed straight down. Should be a hole in the dash frame. Knobs are really hard to come by on there own and you will need a nut to hold the cable in the hole. Good Luck.
thesey914
How easily should the knob turn? Mine is seized...any ideas about lubricating the cable??
SpecialK
QUOTE (thesey914 @ Aug 27 2005, 01:11 PM)
How easily should the knob turn? Mine is seized...any ideas about lubricating the cable??

Not sure how far you want to dive into this, but there's a good article on the PP site that describes a speedo rebuild with lots of pics.

Hijack over:

Sorry Danna, can't help you with the knob. Maybe you could check at an electronic supply house for a knob that fits the shaft.
VegasRacer
Here is what a dirty spare looks like.
VegasRacer
Apart.
markb
Danna, send me a pm on monday, I'll check my parts stash at the shop and get back to you tuesday.
Michael J
So Danna, look at John's picture apart and compare the end of your cable to the picture.....different. That must be why the hole in the face of the dash. Looks like you need the whole cable. It's easy to install in the speedo. It just has a nylon plug that pops into the speedo case. But you need the right cable.
John
Isn't the cable (the one shown assembled and dissassembled) an early style cable.

IIRC, my 1974 has a cable similar to the one shown in the original post. On my car, there is simply a black plastic push-on knob that turns the trip reset cable. There is no way to "fasten" the cable to the hole in the lower dash hole other than the friction of the knob to the shaft.

I may be able to post a pic tomarrow.

I just wish my trip gage would reset correctly. I have some defect in mine where it starts out resetting correctly, but ends up with one of the digits wrong. I think it ends up on 1 mile or something. I can never get it to 0000. At least it does count miles....
bd1308
mine is the same way...black knob...looks like something from a 8-track stereo unit...
ThemWyatts
Thank you for the info. I just need the knob. The reset works, when I picked up the car it was at 6666 and the visor mirror is broken (I hope it is not a bad sign.)

I think you are correct in assessing the need for a knob and possible a back clip or something to keep the cable from turning, increasing the turning friction. If anyone knows where to get a knob or what might work, please let me know. Thanks once again for helping a girl out.

Does anyone on the board refer to their 914 as "The Little Demon", if not, that is what I am calling it, the name seems to fit.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (ThemWyatts @ Aug 28 2005, 01:41 AM)
Does anyone on the board refer to their 914 as "The Little Demon",  if not, that is what I am calling it, the name seems to fit.

I like it. cool.gif Elvira thinks it's a good name.
I am sure Jimmy would approve too.
flesburg
Hi:

Send me a pm and if you need one, I know that in my parts boxes I have what you need, because I have probably 6 or 8 old speedometers. Could send you the whole cable if yours is bound up.

I will need a shipping address, and confirm the year of your car. From you picture of the speedo it looks like the 74s which I know best. Some of the older ones had silver colored disc in the center of the guages.

I will ask you to pay for shipping after you get it. Will not be able to ship for a week tho, because I will not be home til next Saturday.
John
ThemWyatts,

With your later model cable, the entire cable is supposed to turn. It is a later version than the multi-piece unit shown in the thread.

Those knobs tended to fall off and dissappear.

I've been looking for a knob that would stay in place for quite some time.....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (ThemWyatts @ Aug 28 2005, 02:41 AM)
Thank you for the info. I just need the knob. The reset works, when I picked up the car it was at 6666 and the visor mirror is broken (I hope it is not a bad sign.)

I think you are correct in assessing the need for a knob and possible a back clip or something to keep the cable from turning, increasing the turning friction. If anyone knows where to get a knob or what might work, please let me know. Thanks once again for helping a girl out.

Does anyone on the board refer to their 914 as "The Little Demon", if not, that is what I am calling it, the name seems to fit.

How about "Christine" ? ohmy.gif
ClayPerrine
Oh.. and a note about your trip odometer. If you want to keep it working, NEVER reset it while the car is moving. It will break the plastic odometer gear, and your whole odometer will quit working.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.