So I'm down in Austin, playing with my brother's 914-4 and the megasquirt I installed on it. Unfortunately I took it out for a little tuning drive only to find that it gets a little smokey when warm. Looks like I'm getting some oil leakage from somewhere and it's burning off on the H/E's. I bought a set of VC gaskets while waiting for it to cool off, but creeping around under there with the droplight it's as dry as the last time I adjusted the valves. Looking more towards the front of the car though, there is definitely some wetness and splatter.

It could be the oil cooler, there is a little bit of oil towards the mounting portion, but it looks mostly like spray to me. The real concentration seems to be around the oil pump. It definitely is not coming from the fan/front seal. I did a search and found that the pump is replaceable with the engine in situ. Based on one of Sklines post's, it look slike I ahve to just pull some sheetmetal and the fan & housing off to do the job. The question is, once that's out of the way, how should I proceed?

To be honest I don't know when the leak started, the engine had definitely been leaking a little as there was a pretty large spot where it had been sitting for a few months. However, I did overfill the engine a little bit yesterday, and that may in fact have precipitated this particular leak. So a few questions. Is it conceivable that the oil pump seal just started leaking, or should I look elsewhere for the source? Is it reasonable to believe that I can just reseal this, or is leakage a sign of warpage and the necessity for a new pump? If either one, how do I remove the pump. I've rebuilt T1's before, but never cracked a TIV, so any advice/tips would be much appreciated. I assume this will be difficult to remove, is there a special technique?

Thanks for any advice.

Adam