Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salzburgring Classic - report of a track day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gustl
Yesterday morning I started to a 2 1/2 hrs trip to the "ADAC Salzburgring Classic", a track event for oldtimers, also known as "Sounds of Speed". I've read about it in a german forum. When I saw the entry list it was clear that I have to go! There were 3 "Porsche 914/6 GT" listed and 1 "VW-Porsche 914/6".

When I arrived at the circuit the group with the pre-war cars raced, so I decided to visit the paddock first. There were numerous fantastic race cars - impossible to show you all ... there were all kinds of Triumphs, Alfas, Porsches, Lotus, Minis, Fiats, Austin Healeys, Fords, Veritas, BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguars, and and and ... and all kinds of Formula racing cars from the 60ies to the 80ies ... and lots of cars I've never heared before biggrin.gif

But hey - I was looking for the GTs - and I've found them.
First of all, this yellow GT. The driver told me that's no "factory car", but a conversion from the late 70ies or early 80ies - and that it has the 906 engine.

Gustl
Continuing ma way through the paddock I found this one. It's the original factory GT test car #914 0 43 0983 (practice marathon de la route). After it was sold from Porsche it was raced on track and hill-climb events up to 1975, then was stored for 22 years.

Gustl
Then I've found the motorhome of Knüpfing Motorsport. I knew that they should have the other two 914-6 from the entry list. From the distance I saw the blue GT wannabe, which was restored/built from Knüpfing Motorsport last year. It's a conversion with a carbed 2.4 liter engine at 170 PS.
Looked nice with these minilites.

Gustl
When I steped into the tent I found the well known Strähle GT with his driver Günther Steckkönig - but there was another orange car behind it idea.gif

Gustl
I can't believe what I saw w00t.gif it was the famous "1971 Monte Carlo #1" car - #914 1 43 0141 - one of my all time favourites wub.gif
The owner - Walter Näher - told me that it was an absolutely short term decision to bring this car, therefore it isn't on the entry list ...

Gustl
Now that I had to calm down laugh.gif I decided to watch "the rest" of the paddock - here are a short overview (not really that interesting, after seeing the GTs rolleyes.gif )

here's the "transplant donator" of our beloved GTs laugh.gif

Gustl
another nice P-car (there were at least 30 P-cars)
a 1973 911 2.8 RSR

Gustl
even a fascinating 550 was there

Gustl
an extreme rare 1948 Veritas RS

JeffBowlsby
That does it....I am moving to Europe. You have alot of cool hardware there Wolfgang...

pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif cool.gif laugh.gif
Gustl
with exactely this car Niki Lauda - Austrias world Formula 1 driver (3 times World Champion) - won the 1979 Pro Car race in Monte Carlo

Gustl
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Aug 28 2005, 03:07 PM)
That does it....I am moving to Europe. You have alot of cool hardware there Wolfgang...

pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif cool.gif laugh.gif

hey Jeff - you're welcome wavey.gif

when is your flight laugh.gif
Gustl
this one was a hit user posted image
did you ever hear about a car named "Davrian IMP" from 1971 - I don't confused24.gif

this one was extreme loud and fast - and every fast corner it lifted the inner side front wheel blink.gif - unfortunately I only have a little pocket DigiCam, so there was no chance to get this detail during the race sad.gif

Gustl
paddock overview from the grandstand

Gustl
some cars at the pre-start, waiting for their race

Gustl
historic formula racers waiting at the pre-start

Gustl
a couple of cars running from the pre-start to the circuit

the red one in front is a 1965 Ford Tornado
the yellow in the back a 1976 Porsche 935 RSR

Gustl
back to teener content wink.gif

3 GTs in this run - the yellow Singer-GT and that red Alfa ('70 2000 GTA) had a nice fight mueba.gif

Gustl
and Singer managed to get in front smilie_pokal.gif

Gustl
2 GTs just before their 2nd run
Gustl
after the corso (displaying all the cars on the circuit, but in non-race speed) they parked the 3 orange GTs together
Gustl
some guys (including me cool.gif ) asked if they would display the cars in a line - and they did clap.gif
Gustl
just enjoy wub.gif
Gustl
one more rolleyes.gif
Gustl
we compared a few details of the cars - the most interesting (at least to me wink.gif ) was the different types of fuel tanks

914 0 43 0983 has got the 100 liter tank:
Gustl
914 1 43 0141 "only" has the 60 liter tank:

Gustl
and the Strähle-GT also has 100 liter, but a little different:
Katmanken
Kenny is in Lust!

Er... I mean in Love wub.gif

With the color orange.

Thanks for the Pics Gustl!

They are great.

Ken
Gustl
finaly I asked the drivers to pose next to their cars - well, and that's it

(I mean, I would have another gazillion of pics from this event, but I guess the admins would kill me for server-space-wasting and you guys would get bored cool_shades.gif )

maf914
Gustl,

Thanks for the nice photos. Looks like a good day at the track. Beautiful weather too.

Back in the 80's while working in Frankfurt I attended the big annual historic event at the Nurburgring several times. Always fun. smilie_flagge6.gif
Gustl
there's one question left

I made some little video clips with my DigiCam. Due to the nature of my DigiCam the quality is no good, but the sound of theese 906 engines is that impressive, that I would like to share 'em.

But how to do it?
AFAIK they're too large to simply attach confused24.gif

any ideas ??
Gustl
QUOTE (maf914 @ Aug 28 2005, 04:03 PM)
Looks like a good day at the track.  

due to the screaming engines and all the noise and the sunny weather I got a sunburn, a headache and I still can't hear anything blink.gif

but I guess that's the price for such a great day laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif mueba.gif
balljoint
smilie_pokal.gif

Awesome.

More pics please.

Is there another place that you can use to host the video clips and then post a link?
Gustl
QUOTE (balljoint @ Aug 28 2005, 04:12 PM)
Is there another place that you can use to host the video clips and then post a link?

maybe I could borrow a little webspace from the Oldtimer Club Tirol - I'll check this
but I'm afraid I can't keep this space forever idea.gif
VegasRacer
Ausge - fricking - zeichnet Photos Gustl. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_flagge6.gif clap.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
Lou W
These pictures are awesome, thanks for showing them wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
Jeroen
Thanks for the pics and report!
Awesome schtuff
sixnotfour
WoW , great event. you dont see that many 914-6GT's in one bunch very often. smilie_pokal.gif
Gustl
well, I got it managed - here are at least 4 little video clips
I shrinked them a little (low res for less space biggrin.gif ) and got a little webspace

1) Singer GT moves to the pre-start (my friend Rudi services this car)

2) Strähle GT and #9140430983 coming back from the track

3) 914 1 43 0141 and 914 0 43 0983 on their way to the corso-run

4) Singer GT leads in front of Alfa, hunting slower cars
Howard
Gustl, as always, your pictures are great. If you can email the clips, I will post them. info@thehowardagency.com
Gustl
Howard, 11 video clips are creeping through the web biggrin.gif

due to an error message I had to split them to 3 mails

@ all: when Howard made the videos available I'll remove them from the above links

Howard
Here ya go! Gustl.wmv
Maltese Falcon
Wolfgang, looks like a perfect day at the track --thanks for posting these pics. Nice orange teeners wink.gif I have a sudden urge for an orange popsicle .
Marty
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Gustl @ Aug 28 2005, 07:07 AM)
the sound of these 906 engines is that impressive, that I would like to share 'em.

Wow. Thanks. Those sounds make my spine tingle. boldblue.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Gustl @ Aug 28 2005, 04:55 AM)
I can't believe what I saw w00t.gif it was the famous "1971 Monte Carlo #1" car - #914 1 43 0141 - one of my all time favourites wub.gif
The owner - Walter Näher - told me that it was an absolutely short term decision to bring this car, therefore it isn't on the entry list ...

The #2 car of the three car team is here in Florida at the Collier Automotive Muesum. Collier had the restored the car by Gunnar Racing years ago.

Paul
URY914
I think the quality of the video makes it seem like it was recorded in 1971. Cool!

P
Gustl
QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 29 2005, 03:20 PM)
The #2 car of the three car team is here in Florida at the Collier Automotive Muesum. Collier had the restored the car by Gunnar Racing years ago.

Paul

I guess you mixed that up a little idea.gif

AFAIK the Miles Collier private museum owns the #2 car from the Marathon de la Route, 1970?

this would be # 914 0 43 2542

the car at the "ADAC Salzburgring Classic" was the #1 car from the Monte Carlo Rallye 1971 ...

wavey.gif Gustl
URY914
QUOTE (Gustl @ Aug 29 2005, 05:39 AM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 29 2005, 03:20 PM)

Paul

I guess you mixed that up a little idea.gif

AFAIK the Miles Collier private museum owns the #2 car from the Marathon de la Route, 1970?

this would be # 914 0 43 2542

the car at the "ADAC Salzburgring Classic" was the #1 car from the Monte Carlo Rallye 1971 ...

wavey.gif Gustl

wacko.gif Well you know they're the same color so it screwed me up wacko.gif

I stand corrected. smile.gif

P
tdgray
Great Stuff Wolfgang. Thanks for sharing smilie_pokal.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (balljoint @ Aug 28 2005, 04:12 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif

Awesome.

More pics please.

thanks for all compliments pray.gif

here's another nice pic from the corso run
on the left theri is the Monte Carlo GT, but watch the black Beetle in the front

one told me that's a '66 Bug with a turbo-charged type 4 engine at about 300 PS w00t.gif
this little car reminded me at good old Herby laugh.gif
in his fast run it overtook all Porsches (911 S, RS, RSR, 935 !!!) - only a 2.8 RSR was faster blink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.