Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car shopping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robby750
My ex-wife is looking at this 1956 Caddillac for our son to drive. He just turned 15 and has a year to go before he could drive it. (I think she really wants it for herself) I told him several years ago that I would give him my 914 but I think I've changed my mind.
ninefourteener
SWEET!!!!!

What else is there to say?? My car when I was 16 was a 1984 Olds Cutlass...... Cool, but not exactly a 56 Caddy.

Does everything work? Even the A/C

How much??
robby750
She says everything works. The guy is asking $6500.00
Qarl
What a neat classic.

Definitely buy it for yourselves... but I would not think this would be appropriate for a new driver, no matter how good a kid he is.

Plus... I'm sure the fuel economy is not the best.

It would be fun for your kid and his friends, but after the first accident, you will be hating life as I am sure replacement parts are hard to find.
boxstr
Just curious, Purple Reign, are you buying this from the artist formerly known as Prince?? It is kewl, I'd buy it for a cruiser, slam it down and throw in some thumpin sounds. Fuzzy dice,price is not that bad.
CCLINPURPLEKREWZINCADDYDADDY
ninefourteener
As far as it being too much car for a 16 year old...... NO WAY!!

Think about it..... yea, it probably gets shitty gas mileage, but that will teach him budgeting techniques--LOL

Safety?? Doesn't get any better than this!!

Insurance? I do recommend full coverage. It won't be that bad cause the car is so old (By comparison to a rice-burner import car)

Oh, originality is great..... but this thing DEFINATELY needs some tunes. You can fit a lot od stereo crap in one of these.... just what a 16 year old needs.

two words....... CHICK MAGNET

Your son NEEDS this car ohmy.gif)
Lawrence
A lavender car? Probably a bit effeminate for a 16 y/o.

Unless your son attends an all girl school, he'll get his ass kicked driving that.

These young kids have no respect for such a classic, original car.
Alfred
That car is not appropriate for a 16-year-old male. Unless he's going to one of those new "alternative" high-schools, he's gonna get his butt kicked.

Alfred
seanery
no, the color is ok, but it will need some shiney polished wheels to pull it off.

If I were to get it for my 16 year old, I would go through all the safety devices. Replace the seatbelts right away!
Brad Roberts
Tell mom to drive the Caddy and "let" him drive the Caravan in the background...LOL

It needs wheels and tires.. other than that..I would drive it.

B
Andyrew
Being the youngin in the crowd, If he wants it I would think that would be a good buy. If I had it, I would shoot some kind of accenting paint on it, lower the car, and put nice rims/tires on it. I would also put a very loud open exhaust w/ headers and some other performance items. Ya the riceboys will be laughing, till you open er up!

I would most likely do more things, but that car is so perfect I wouldnt quite want to..
It all depends on your kid..

Ps. How big is your kid? wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Buy him a late 80's early 90's Chevy 1/4 ton (1500) single cab short bed. Cheap to maintain and cheap on insurance.

And.. he can haul stuff for dad.

B
Eric Taylor
As the other young kid in he crowd I would agree with Andyrew. It would be fun for him to have something other than a Civic. If your talking safety deffinatly do the belts. but if you ever get hit in someting like that it will take it like a tank. It's huge! Don't worry about the color. Everyone will want a ride.
Eric
ninefourteener
Ok, so maybe the color isn't the greatest...... I would prefer black myself...

Then again..... my girlfriends calls my teener the "kermit the frog" car.... but she still loves the attention it gets

But still, I seriously doubt that just cause it's purple, it will attract ass-whoopings.

Need to buy a few things ASAP:

Seatbelts
Stereo
Condoms

Good Luck!!
Hawktel
You really want your 16 year old to have a back seat that big Grandpa?

You might not be a Grandpa yet, but with that 1/4th acre back seat, I'd say your chances are greatly improved!

Its a cool car, if I had 6500, and a place to store it, I'd like one.
anthony
Those old cars may be huge and have a lot of metal on them but I don't think they are the safest. You're lucky if they even have lap belts and they have metal dashes that will make a nice crease in your forehead if you hit it.

I'd be torn between wanting to give my teenager a cool car and a practical car. My neighbor has twins that are 17 now and in their first year of driving they've had three fender benders between them. Their primary car is trashed after just a year and they also crashed their father's truck.

I definitely wouldn't give a kid a classic car unless they wanted it to be their hobby. We all know that even the most cherry old car always needs a little something here and there.
J P Stein
"You can't send a kid up in a crate like that"

The brakes on them things are gawd awfull....no, worse than that. You have to drive them like a granpa...like me.
They don't go around corners well....nor in a straight line...other than that, no problem.
robby750
She bought it.
seanery
congrats. I think you'll enjoy it!
redshift
Plenty of room for a wild mid /6 conversion!

=o\

M
echocanyons
I'm pretty sure you can fit your 914 and race tires in the trunk for DE's MDB2.gif

Looks like a good deal that should only appreciate more with time.
Dad Roberts
Mine's BIGGER... wink.gif ...neener......neener...neener...lol. Sorry, couldn't resist. If I had got one of those for Brad when he was driving age, lots of you folks woulda been in deep chit wink.gif . All I could afford was a clapped out baha bug.........which he justly declined for some ole 914 smile.gif . Nice car!!!!!......Hope he appreciates it for what it was, and is. ... Dad driving.gif
Aaron Cox
being a 'nuther young'n. that car is pretty tight. color is iffy~ id run a set of headers and maybe a flowmaster for that rich throaty sound. it needs some wheels and needs to be slammed rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.