Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Soft Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrofive
I really would like to add a soft top to my 914, however can't seem to find one anywhere. I dont really care if I have to construct it myself or not. A friend of mine has a 05 Lotus Elise, the soft top for it is really simple in design (3 fiber glass rods and "pop" into place supporting the canvas) . I dont see why something like that for the 914 would be too difficult.
neo914-6
QUOTE (retrofive @ Aug 28 2005, 08:25 PM)
I really would like to add a soft top to my 914, however can't seem to find one anywhere. I dont really care if I have to construct it myself or not. A friend of mine has a 05 Lotus Elise, the soft top for it is really simple in design (3 fiber glass rods and "pop" into place supporting the canvas) . I dont see why something like that for the 914 would be too difficult.

You're right, the Elise design could be adapted. I doubt anyone has done it yet. It is on my list to do but not in the very near future. Go for it...
Brando
Take original F/G 914 top.

Cut out insides, leaving a square-shaped frame on the outside (with hooks and mouting pins for front and rear).

Stretch semi-transparent fabric across and secure.

Voila, soft-top 914 smile.gif
boxstr
I remember seeing a pic of what appeared to be a "bikini top " on a 914 in pics from one of the bay area saturday 914 gatherings. A few years ago. Anyone have a pic. it was in a parking lot and if I remeber correctly it was overcast and might have been rainy.
CCLINMEMORIES
Mueller
I like the fold up tops on the early 911 targas, same basic idea but they seem a little more robust
Brando
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 28 2005, 09:20 PM)
I like the fold up tops on the early 911 targas, same basic idea but they seem a little more robust

They also won't protect you in a roll over. Nor survive if you run it over.
bd1308
QUOTE (Brando @ Aug 28 2005, 10:29 PM)
Take original F/G 914 top.

Cut out insides, leaving a square-shaped frame on the outside (with hooks and mouting pins for front and rear).

Stretch semi-transparent fabric across and secure.

Voila, soft-top 914 smile.gif

just like the old buses.....

i like that idea...

Cano, lets switch targa tops..... I have a project.....

smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Brando @ Aug 28 2005, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 28 2005, 09:20 PM)

huh??

are you saying the 911 targa bar offers no protection?

run what over? the top, heck, the stock 914 top won't survive that smile.gif
Mueller
however can't seem to find one anywhere

no real commercial market for it...you might find a few people that would want one, but it's not a item that a company would go spend the money for R&D on....if you do make one, you might sell a few to recoup your costs smile.gif

another reason why you cannot find one is that it's a non-issue since the targa top stows in the rear trunk..the Elise hard top cannot be kept in the car once removed...there is no room for it, hence the "need" for a top that folds up....

redshift
QUOTE (Brando @ Aug 29 2005, 01:20 AM)
Nor survive if you run it over.

laugh.gif

Goof ball... what'dya run over?

M
lotus_65
no market? i have a standard walking golf bag that won't fit with the top! wink.gif
honestly you're probably right, not many buyers, but i need something.
i've been pondering for a while, and these ideas help.
VegasRacer
Put me down on the list of potential customers.
JerryP
Get rid of the Al Cervik bag. I have 2 Ping J bags and the top in my 72' right now. biggrin.gif

That is true but, seriously, I know what you mean and I'd be up for a bikini or similarly useful soft top as well.
jd74914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 29 2005, 12:20 AM)

Those tops are a bitch to put on though with the special key wrench and all. The 914 top is a much better design. smile.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE (JerryP @ Aug 29 2005, 08:00 AM)
Get rid of the Al Cervik bag. I have 2 Ping J bags and the top in my 72' right now. biggrin.gif

That is true but, seriously, I know what you mean and I'd be up for a bikini or similarly useful soft top as well.

dude, i need my tapper 'cause i suck so bad! beer.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif icon8.gif
mudfoot76
Just this morning I saw another 914 here in downtown Indy that had a cloth-looking top on it. Sean (seanery) apparently knows the guy. I've passed him on the interstate a few times. It looks like one of those ragtops that are fastened into a cutout on solid-roof car (a la classic BMC Mini, or the Renault Twingo). I had never seen him with the roof "open", and I was wondering if that was a DIY mod or he bought it from somewhere...(BTW-I believe the car is a '71 1.7, black)
JerryP
I hear ya...me too. Now there's an idea. Forget about designing the soft top. How about a Weltmeister Beermeister? beerchug.gif
Brando
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 28 2005, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (Brando @ Aug 28 2005, 10:20 PM)

huh??

are you saying the 911 targa bar offers no protection?

run what over? the top, heck, the stock 914 top won't survive that smile.gif

The targa bar will... My nay-saying was in relation to the soft vinyl 911 tops...

And FYI... the stock 914 top will survive if you run it over. Might take a 5lb sledge to get it on but it will.
smash.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 28 2005, 10:47 PM)
however can't seem to find one anywhere

no real commercial market for it...you might find a few people that would want one, but it's not a item that a company would go spend the money for R&D on....if you do make one, you might sell a few to recoup your costs smile.gif

another reason why you cannot find one is that it's a non-issue since the targa top stows in the rear trunk..the Elise hard top cannot be kept in the car once removed...there is no room for it, hence the "need" for a top that folds up....

MikeP and I held one up to a 914 and the adaptation wouldn't be difficult. The mating parts will require some mold or fabrication. Sell a few, depends how much they will cost...

The benefits are:
-quieter than hard top, believe it or not.
-rolls up so you have more trunk space, great for those who carry spares, batteries, or tools in the back.

Downside:
-less theft protection
lotus_65
QUOTE (JerryP @ Aug 29 2005, 02:00 PM)
I hear ya...me too. Now there's an idea. Forget about designing the soft top. How about a Weltmeister Beermeister?  :beer2:

be the (beer) ball, danny!

you're not being the ball danny.
retrofive
Thanks for all input. Sounds like I am going to have to make one myself. Off the the fab shop. I post pics on completion smile.gif (maybe directions too if I can remembet what I did!)
STL914
When I bought my first 914 back in 98, I also had the thought of making an alternative to the F/G top.

My idea was a retractable soft top much like the spring loaded, roll up covers found on many SUVs to hide packages in the rear compartment.

The housing for the soft top would mount to the top of the targa bar using the same factory latches with a couple of brackets under the rear of the targa. The front of the soft top would pull out from the housing and attach to the windshield frame, again using factory latches.

That was seven years ago, and this idea of mine had been forgotten until recently due to this thread. Back to the drawing board!!

maf914
Long ago, I had a 61 Sunbeam Alpine convertible for several years. One day I go out to the car and someone had slashed the top from the center to the side window then along the window. There was nothing worth stealing and the car was not otherwise tampered with. Talk about P-O'd! mad.gif

When I bought the 914 many years later the removable fiberglass roof panel was a selling point for me. I'll stick with it over a soft top. biggrin.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE (STL914 @ Aug 31 2005, 08:42 PM)
My idea was a retractable soft top much like the spring loaded, roll up covers found on many SUVs to hide packages in the rear compartment.

The housing for the soft top would mount to the top of the targa bar using the same factory latches with a couple of brackets under the rear of the targa. The front of the soft top would pull out from the housing and attach to the windshield frame, again using factory latches.

That was seven years ago, and this idea of mine had been forgotten until recently due to this thread. Back to the drawing board!!

i am soooo with you!

i have detailed drawings on my cad system at work.

i personally do not think there's room under the targa inside for the canvas roll. it also doesn't allow for the added material needed to flap over the windows. my thought was to mount the roll to the ski rack mounts and wrap around the targa. it would be a simple mount there, the complex part would be to engineer the framework inside. you should see my design. (btw, i've applied for a patent)

i want a peice of this action, guys. let's get it done.

good vibes~
paul

p.s.~maf914~ man that sucks about the sunbeam, but vandalism is just gonna happen sometimes. i'm not excusing it or anything like that, but we get keyed, door-dinged, tire-slashed etc. all the time. just the ignorance and lack of common decency of our society. nothing pisses me off more...

...but it won't stop me from getting the full enjoyment out of my life and property. 'sides, these rolls can be had cheap, and it would be a snap-and-go, presto-change-o operation with my setup. stay tuned.
neo914-6
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Sep 1 2005, 06:29 AM)
QUOTE (STL914 @ Aug 31 2005, 08:42 PM)

i am soooo with you!

i have detailed drawings on my cad system at work.

i personally do not think there's room under the targa inside for the canvas roll. it also doesn't allow for the added material needed to flap over the windows. my thought was to mount the roll to the ski rack mounts and wrap around the targa. it would be a simple mount there, the complex part would be to engineer the framework inside. you should see my design. (btw, i've applied for a patent)

i want a peice of this action, guys. let's get it done.

good vibes~
paul

p.s.~maf914~ man that sucks about the sunbeam, but vandalism is just gonna happen sometimes. i'm not excusing it or anything like that, but we get keyed, door-dinged, tire-slashed etc. all the time. just the ignorance and lack of common decency of our society. nothing pisses me off more...

...but it won't stop me from getting the full enjoyment out of my life and property. 'sides, these rolls can be had cheap, and it would be a snap-and-go, presto-change-o operation with my setup. stay tuned.

Do you know what a patent costs? Last time we did one it was at min. $10k. Considering a very limited market, are you sure your design will pay off?

I suggest you examime the simplicity of the Elise design.
lotus_65
i didn't say i was going to buy a patent! i did look at the elise. i'l be selling my parts to those guys too. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.