Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actually moving to the Ocean
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
I mentioned this in another thread, but thought I should start a new one. Big changes for Carla and me. We sold the Seattle house I've been in since '78 and bought a small vacation rental motel in Moclips on the Washington coast. Three rental units and a unit for us. The garage is tiny, but it will have to do for now. I've had to haul 4 stepvan loads to the scrap metal yard and dump so far. Gave up my dream of a gullwing doored, mid engine Ghia, for a more conventional Fat fendered 2.6 type 4 (914 content) rear engine, t-topped Ghia that I can actually finish in this lifetime. I had been planning and testing gullwing door fabrication techniques for over 15 years, so it was a tough decision. Sometimes you just have to face reality and realize how much time you have to work with.

We are both excited to start our new life away from the giant traffic mess that beautiful Seattle has become. I hope some of you will come test the twisties on the way to Moclips for a visit. I plan to do metalshaping and dent repair lessons, as well as continue on with my videos. We hope to be up and running over the next few months. Perhaps we can find out how many 914s will fit in the parking lot at some point?

So, this all this has delayed my second video. My appologies to those who are waiting for it. We have a lot of work ahead of us....still moving and hauling tons of stuff.. taking a stepvan load of Ghia parts that I have sold to Sacramento, fixing up the motel etc. Depending on how business goes, I may take on a few flare projects over the next few years. Shit, I'm going to have to get a clam-digging outfit....

As for the name of the motel.... I was thinking Tsunami Flats? Carla wants to call it Gullwing Inn. Guess who gets their way.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
rhodyguy
best of luck in the new venture, to you and carla. let us know when the "vacancy" sign is lit up.

k
SGB
Karmann House?

I like both names mentioned already.

g'luck! cool.gif
jonwatts
Maison Derriere?

Congrats on the next chapter of your lives. Sorry about the compromises it has brung.

(it's a word, look it up)
boxstr
John, Best of luck in the new adventure. I hope it goes smoothly. I am sure it will be a big change from your location in Seattle. That was a little cramped. Maybe your metalworking skills will transend into the way of life in Moclips. Like a John Kelly designed clam scoop.
CCLINB&B
Toast
Congrats and Good Luck!

Enjoy the Ocean life.
clap.gif
joea9146
Good Luck Sounds like a Nice Location.....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
neo914-6
clap.gif Congratulations to you both, that's a venture I ponder occasionally unfortunately it would be in Mexico... laugh.gif

Living on the coast is great but not metal friendly.

If you ever have time for another metal project I'm sure I will have the needs. I met Lazze Metalshaping school at the Historic races who are out of Fresno. I can't believe they never heard of John Kelley but you know you are famous in the 914 family.
reverie
I'm glad the leftover Ghia metal found a good home.

Ditto what Kevin said about the "vacancy" sign.

Gullwing Inn.. very inspired.. great story, too.

Already looking forward to visiting.. chatsmiley.gif
redshift
ohmy.gif I got it!

You say there are three rentals... idea.gif

How much is rent? smile.gif

Ok, how much is rent, and flares? biggrin.gif

Good for you John... did this whole Ghia concept get you started working metal?

M
Cap'n Krusty
Just think, if you lived in New Orleans, the ocean would be moving to you! All the denial in the world, accumulated for over a hundred years, ain't gonna stop it .................................... The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.