Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temperature guage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Hello,
Is there a procedure for testing the Oil temperature guage and sender? Mine does not work, the needle never moves from the cold position.

Thanks
type47
are you referring to the factory console gauge? the gauge is basically a voltmeter with the sender acting as a variable resistor. you could check a wiring diagram in a haynes. remove all the pieces from the car, hook up 12VDC to the gauge and stick the sender in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer to calibrate the gauge.
ArtechnikA
a factory gauge should peg at fullscale if the sensor wire is open, and min scale if it is grounded.
but this presumes that you have good +12V at the gauge - so check that too.
SLITS
With the key on, ground the wire that comes out of the main harness, below the battery box, that is connected to the sender. Wire comes from the Taco Plate, across the engine, up thru the sheet meta near the accel cable to one of those famous Geman kindaplastic connectors (spade terminals). Guage should read full.....if not:

1: You don't have power to the guage

2. Guage is shot (unlikely)

If guage works:

1. The above mentioned connector is loose and not making contact

2. Check connection at taco plate and the wire going to it

3. Sender is bad (unlikely)
solex
Thank you all I will check it tonight.
solex
I checked everything this weekend. The guage is getting power, I cleaned all of the connections and verified continuity from the guage to the sender. I disconnected the wire from the sender and ground it and the needle was pegged on the hot side of the guage.

I had a continuity problem which has been fixed so I guess it is the sender.

Thank you for your help
Dan
machina
My wife thought I was nuts but this is how I tested and calibrated my oil temp gauge.

At least I know its accurate at 212 deg F.
DNHunt
That's great. Wives don't get car stuff in the kitchen. I catch hell for using the oven (trailing arms and cam gear). I try to do it when she isn't home but I always get caught.

Dave
solex
Any idea on where to get a new sender? I check with Pelican but they have it as NLA?

Thanks,
Dan
machina
egauges.com

they got em all, and there are several....
solex
Dave,
I called egauges and the do not have a reference for my oil temp sender. I will have to call VDO tomorrow.

Dan confused24.gif confused24.gif
BigDBass
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 29 2005, 01:40 PM) *
With the key on, ground the wire that comes out of the main harness, below the battery box, that is connected to the sender. Wire comes from the Taco Plate, across the engine, up thru the sheet meta near the accel cable to one of those famous Geman kindaplastic connectors (spade terminals). Guage should read full.....if not:
1: You don't have power to the guage
2. Guage is shot (unlikely)
If guage works:
1. The above mentioned connector is loose and not making contact
2. Check connection at taco plate and the wire going to it
3. Sender is bad (unlikely)

My oil temp gauge in center console is not working (not moving from 0) and I want to run this this troubleshooting sequence if it is not too difficult to access, while I am on jackstands awaiting front brake renewal. I assume the engine does not need to be dropped to check the "taco plate" area? You access it from under the car behind the driver's seat?

lapuwali
Yes, it's easy to get at from underneath. Black plate in the forward/left corner of the sump. Green/red wire coming out of it. Note that you have to drain the oil before removing the sender or the plate, or you'll end up draining it unexpectedly...
BigDBass
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 26 2006, 12:44 PM) *
Note that you have to drain the oil before removing the sender or the plate, or you'll end up draining it unexpectedly...
Can I check the wiring and connector without draining?
lapuwali
Yes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.