Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Future engine build: got me a 78mm scat crank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
so i bought me a scat 78mm stroker crank, and it has 2.0L rod journals on it.

it is my understanding that VW journals are bigger than Chevy journals....

if i were to have the crank's journals machined down to chevy size, i would have a plethora of rod choices no?

also - since the journal of a chevy is smaller than a VW journal, could the journals be offset ground to achieve even more stroke?? ie 80+???

just thinking aloud....
AA
Jake Raby
Watch it!

Doing this causes a misalignment of the rod journal oiling passages..... Its really not worth the effort-

you have the 2.0 journals that are SMALLEST of ALL the possible journals.. These journals are FAR from my favorite because they are small and there are no performance rod bearings available- just Bi metal stockers.

The 2.0 journals also limit your rod choces basically to 3

(1) worked over stock rods (too damn heavy, too short and with a 78 stroke crank they send piston speeds through the roof)

(2) Carrillo rods @ 1500 bucks and a 3 month wait time

(3) Pauter Billet rods @ 925.00 and a 10 week wait for most lengths

The VW TI journals ARE LARGER than a chevy journal by .100- The TIV 2.0 journal is smaller than Chevy

The Chevy journal is larger diameter but more narrow than the Posrche 2.0 journal... With the 2.0 journal what you have seriously limits the possibilities- I only have one combo that uses a stock 2.0 journal size and its for a VW Bus..

my favorite 78 stroke crank has the TI journal... This allows the use of a 5.4" rod for a 1.75:1 Rod ratio- perfect for a street TIV engine with a nice broad power band and flat torque curve..

The stock 2.0 journal is about the worst journal to start with, it will create many challenges that you should not have to face and will further complicate the combination-

Never ever start out making a compromise to run a component..
Aaron Cox
awesome info jake, thanks foir clearing that up. Is is possible to have the journals welded up and machined to a chevy or a type 1 journal?

ive heard/read that stock 2.0 rods suck and have a horrid ratio....

AA
Twystd1
What Jake said..... smash.gif

Now sell that on Somba for big bucks and start from the beginning again.....

The Bug guys dong TypeIV conversions will pay bank for that CRANK....

If ya need a stroker crank... Just tell me man... I got da hookups... DPR or DMS.

If ya want the bad ass high perf, do it right no questions asked kinda COMBINATION. And you only want to do it once... (or twice in your case)

Buy a kit from Jake. Period... You would be money ahead buying it from Jake.

Ya pays the bucks and do it right ONE time...

Conversely. If you are a nut case like me. And love to design, implement and assemble your own..... And slowly learn to Master the process.......

AND...Blow shit up on occasion cause learning is more importatnt that anything in the world. Irrelavent of the financial and time cost associated with the learning curve....

Then you need proffesional help... (just like me, Scott, Matt, Joe, Etc...)

Aaron, even though I know a bunch of good accurate data. And I have built enough assorted engines to kill a cow. I couldn't built a Jake motor if I wanted to.

It's kinda like getting seat time for auto crossing. He simply has more seat time than we do. Or we will ever have. And he has paid the price for it. And the man is absolutely honorable. He also a nut case........ Just like you and me....

Thats kinda why I like him... I relate....

Conversely, if longevity isn't that important. And you simply wanna learn.. I have your back bro. wub.gif sheeplove.gif.............................................

Lets build da trannys and talk shop this weekend....

Not those kind of Trannys... (That's Slitz's bag) OOOps. tattle tale..... wink.gif

LaterZzzzzz

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
ill tell you how i 'accidently' won bought the crank....

clayton. ill call joe, see what we can do on saturday about all them 9 O ones....

AA
Twystd1
Roger Dodger my sandled friend.....

Twystd1
Twystd1
Just saw this on your moniker...

"stock jack NEEDED BADLY"

DONE.. I have one of both types in storage... There yours......

Twystd1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.