Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gated shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I have been thinking about getting a gated shifter for a while. I had my wife drive the teener to an autox event a few weeks ago and she hated the shifter (I had to haul the timing trailer with the Durango). We were talking about that today and I was talking about going to a short shifter or a gated shifter. She asked me which I wanted in the long run and I told her the gated shifter. So she told me to make it a winter project to get and install it. Lucky me.

Now I wonder who makes the various gated shifters and what the differences are. I know that someone on this board makes them and I would appreciate knowing more about his product and others that people know about.

TIA

P.S. Yes I am just full of questions today...
tat2dphreak
IMHO, if you still have a 901 box... there is ONLY 1 shifter: RENNSHIFTER made by a member, James Adams. he's backlogged, last I heard, but worth the wait...

it's not a "true" gate, but uses springs to create a gated feel... nothing else like it for the 901...

WEVO makes a kit for the 915... and the g50 IIRC
turbo914v8
Funny you should ask, I just did a search on evil bay and this turned up. Check it out. Comments anyone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ME:X:EMTFW:MT:1

Just incase the link does not work

Item number: 7911224665
JWest
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Aug 29 2005, 04:11 PM)
Funny you should ask, I just did a search on evil bay and this turned up. Check it out. Comments anyone.

The cars that had real gates from the factory (Ferrari, Lamborghini) are much maligned by all those that road test them. They look cool, but do not shift well.
jasons
QUOTE (James Adams @ Aug 29 2005, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Aug 29 2005, 04:11 PM)

The cars that had real gates from the factory (Ferrari, Lamborghini) are much maligned by all those that road test them. They look cool, but do not shift well.

Are you taking orders for shifters currently?
turbo914v8
Good day James, I was high on the list for reserved shifters, but by time I got around to ordering them you decided to move. biggrin.gif When can I order mine. sad.gif unsure.gif

PM me if you like
JWest
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Aug 29 2005, 04:21 PM)
Good day James, I was high on the list for reserved shifters, but by time I got around to ordering them you decided to move. biggrin.gif When can I order mine. sad.gif unsure.gif

PM me if you like

Sending PM...
GTeener
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 29 2005, 01:08 PM)
IMHO, if you still have a 901 box... there is ONLY 1 shifter: RENNSHIFTER made by a member, James Adams. he's backlogged, last I heard, but worth the wait...

it's not a "true" gate, but uses springs to create a gated feel... nothing else like it for the 901...

The WEVO Website says there is a 901 shifter kit.

http://www.wevo.com/wevoshifter.htm

Anyone used it?
Dave_Darling
Think about the shift linkage for a few minutes. The shift pattern on our 901-based gearboxes is determined by the movement of the "rake" piece inside the transmission. It can slide up and down (which gets translated to left and right movement of the gear shift lever), and it can twist fore and aft (which gets translated to fore and after movement of the gear shift lever). The whole lengthy shift linkage connects the gear shift lever to this rake part.

Now, say you put the gate waaaaaaaaaay up at the front of the linkage. If any part of the linkage wears at all, the whole shift pattern moves. The gate does not. Suddenly, you have no gears at all, rather than a little bit of slop in the lever.

Gated shifters are not a good idea on our cars.

--DD
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (GTeener @ Aug 29 2005, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 29 2005, 01:08 PM)

The WEVO Website says there is a 901 shifter kit.

http://www.wevo.com/wevoshifter.htm

Anyone used it?

*might* work on a tail shifter, not a side-shift
Wild 6
The Wevo shifter is not a gate shifter although it is a must better "spring loaded" precision shifter. Wevo does make a "gate" that goes inside a 915 gearbox. I have both. Shift performance is much better than a stock 901 set up.
mikelsr
Thanks to everyone for their valuable input. I know what I am going to do, now I just have to convience my wife that this should not be a "winter" project! rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.