Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I know you've been waiting for this!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Here's the link: American Pride National Race
My one win this season. smilie_pokal.gif
Pretty good resolution, so download to watch. (16Mb, about 6 minutes long.)
The link is also on my website in the Racing Gallery along with a few of my older videos.
Aaron Cox
way cool chris!

a few 914's in the mix smilie_pokal.gif
drgchapman
Dude.....that miata near the end that went off, then came back right in front of you.......oh sh*t! great eyes to stay with him. Almost ruined your day. How many different classes running together?
serge914
Look like a dream race, everybody else seem to slow down at the end to let you go. clap.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Aug 29 2005, 09:43 PM)
Dude.....that miata near the end that went off, then came back right in front of you.......oh sh*t! great eyes to stay with him. Almost ruined your day. How many different classes running together?

I had to think a little bit about what to do there but I figured he was going to still be out of control when he got back on the pavement. unsure.gif
I just backed out of the throttle, downshifted, and waited for him to cross the track.
He lost it because he was watching his mirrors, anticipating where I was going to lap him.

I think that Miata, the black GTI that was coasting down the hill and the Black/red/yellow 914 were the only other cars in my class that were visible in the video.
The yellow Caterham was a class above me but I should have never had to deal with him in front of me except I screwed up the left hander on one lap. So instead, it took at least 10 laps to get around him. mad.gif
In all, there were 5 classes on the track at once, 34 cars started the race.
ChrisFoley
You should recognize this scene from the video.
Lou W
That was awesome. smilie_pokal.gif
Mr.C
Were you holding back till the end of the race? It looks like you had some reserve at the end, because you were just flying around people. It also looks like that british tube car wasn't as capable in the turns as you.
Brent
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Aug 29 2005, 09:49 PM)
You should recognize this scene from the video.

that was at the 5:24 mark on the video. That British car was pissing me off. Sucked bad in the turns but was defensive driving.

Nice vid. Hopefully we'll see more of this on the site to get our juices flowing.
rpmmaxxed
seemed like a bit of pride in the yellow tube car's driver...

Very nice video. Congrats on the win.
Brent
QUOTE (rpmmaxxed @ Aug 29 2005, 11:49 PM)
seemed like a bit of pride in the yellow tube car's driver...

Very nice video. Congrats on the win.

The British do have their Pride!
Hammy
Cool video biggrin.gif
If you watch the video you can see the photographer (I think) off to the right who took the photo. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Cabasa @ Aug 30 2005, 02:34 AM)
Were you holding back till the end of the race? It looks like you had some reserve at the end, because you were just flying around people. It also looks like that british tube car wasn't as capable in the turns as you.

Quite honestly I was holding back for the entire race! smile.gif
This was the first successful track test of my new engine from Jake Raby. I kept it running rich all weekend and I was a little slow out of the last turn on nearly every lap. Also, there was a lot of traffic.
I have still turned a few slightly faster laps at Lime Rock with my old engine when the conditions were perfect.

The yellow car is a Caterham, a Lotus Super 7 clone with a Ford Zetec (2.0L) engine. It seemed to me that the driver just didn't get the flow of Lime Rock. That car should handle the corners as well as my car considering how light they are (under 1500 lb). I nearly hit him going into the uphill after we lapped a slower car.

Along with the new engine I was using a new gerbox for the first time with much closer ratios from 2nd to 5th (A, I, M, Q, V), and a ZF limited slip diff. I discovered that the limited slip makes the car drastically understeer if you enter a corner with the throttle closed. blink.gif That's how the yellow car got past me.

The white TR6 (E Prod) is pretty fast in a straight line but the driver isn't that good in cornering. With the old engine I used to have to set him up carefully in order to execute a pass. He made room for me to pass on the straight by moving to the right but normally I expect to be the one to go all the way to the right for a pass like that. What made me real happy was I could pass the front Datsun 510 under braking from such a big distance back. driving.gif
jd74914
Thanks for the video Chris, and congrats on the win smilie_pokal.gif
Racing916
That was Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing the video, and Good luck! Are you going to go to Watkins Glen anytime soon? If so I am sure my dad and I would love to come up and watch we only live a little while away. Congratulations on the win. Thanks Again.

Steve smilie_pokal.gif
Jake Raby
Great video Chris!!!!!

The engine seems to sound a bit different than the other videos of yours that I have watched.

Looking forward to the Runoffs... Tom Burdge's engine is on the dyno today. boldblue.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 30 2005, 11:07 AM)
The engine seems to sound a bit different than the other videos of yours that I have watched.

I guess that's what another 20 degrees of cam duration, .080" valve lift, and the additional 1000 rpm that goes along with it sounds like. smile.gif

Thanks Jake! for your perseverence,
Thanks Len! for the excellent repair,
Thanks Charles! for the best barrels in the business,
Thanks Guy! I really needed the new tires,
and special Thanks to Tony and Drew of American Specialty Products for helping with some installation details the night before qualifying day.

The engine arrived at my shop Thursday at 1:30 in the afternoon. I was on the track Friday morning.

What a team!! beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
Here's two more pictures taken from the sidelines:

user posted image

user posted image
ChrisFoley
Oh yeah,
If you want to see the full length, full resolution version of this race along with two other races from this season just send me a check for $12 and I'll mail a DVD to you.
eds72
Hi Chris. I've watched the video two times. It sounds wonderful. It really seemed as if the car got better towards the end of the race. You had some real good passing moves.

smilie_pokal.gif

Eddie.
ChrisFoley
Here's a pic of me crossing the finish line. The car is a little out of focus.
Thorshammer

This should have been a 914 EP Race win as well as Chris's 914 FP win. He drove a great race to win. I just wish I hadn't got plugged from behind while leading the EP race. One real interesting note is how far Chris looks down the track. When the Miata is in the grass, listen to how early Chris gets out of the throttle, he already knew what the Miata driver was going to do, and that saved his ass. Good Drive, Great Video.

Erik Madsen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.