Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires( Again )
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
As far as a/x, I'm staying with the Hoosier A3S05's smilie_pokal.gif
I actually got a sponsor. wink.gif

For DE/TT's I'll run a seperate tire altogether.

It's down to:

Kumho 700 Victoracer tw50 $153 ea.
Toyo Proxes RA-1 tw100 $160 ea.
Yokohama A032R ( hard compound ) tw60 $149 ea.

All three are OK in the wet ( treaded ) and will be acceptable as low milage street tires.

They should all last for about 10-12 track days.

I'd love to hear from clubbers who have run any of these tires and your impression/advice.

KT
DanT
Yoko AO32Rs fairly noisy on the track. Predictable at the limit, wear well. Lots of rubber to start. Good rain tire for beginning of season then dry as they break in and wear.
Used them on my 914-6 2.7RS and a 944 Turbo with 300HP. Probably the compromise tire of the 3. Yokos tend to like lots of negative camber! Expensive in comparison to other choices.
No personal experience with the others,
But I can tell you that Jeff Reitmeir has been using the Toyos on his 924S Cp car all seaon along with co-driver jim Lane. They seem to like the tire and it wears well.
Lots of timetrialers have been using them this year...so it either is working well or eveyone is following a few leaders.

Victoracers are probably the stickiest of the 3, but seem to wear well..especially on a lightweight car such as a 914.
The Kumhos will be my choice for next season of TT and AX.
Would consider the Toyos if I could find someone in the San Jose area that carries them and won't gouge me on the price. cool.gif cool_shades.gif
brant
the yokos rock on heavy cars. put them on a 944 turbo S and they were superior to the kumho's for that...

BUT.....

for a light car like the 914 it is the opposite (in my opinion)
they suck on the 914. I couldn't get them to work for crap for years....
finally when I added a locked diff and ran my car with much higher tire temps due to sliding constantly they worked the best they ever had on a teener...

my belief is that the teener and other light cars don't create enough heat for the yoko's...

kumhos are very good on a teener.
I hear the toyo's are also, but have only ran the other two and can't say

$.02

grantsfo
My selfish vote is for Toyo RA1 or Yokohama 032's. wink.gif Because you know Hoosiers are way faster than either of those tires.
VegasRacer
I have used both the Victoracers and the RA-1's. I like the Kumho's better. I found them to be more predictable. When pushed past the limit I could still drive on the Kumho's where the Toyos had no grip at all if they got to hot. I have also had the Toyo's get hard in the off season while the Kumho's were always good down to the cords.
Trekkor
I went off the board and ordered the Kumho 710's instead.

Good stick on dry. ( tw of 30 ) Can be a/x'd, of course. So I can try them to compare with the Hoosiers.

As far as wet track, that really doesn't appeal to me.
If I get in a spot where it's raining on a track day, I'll run my Yokohama street tires at 60% or less just to learn the track and the line. wink.gif

Thanks for your advice, It was a tough decision.
Wouldn't it be nice if I could afford all of them and just test them all day long? screwy.gif

KT

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.