Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need torque sequence and values
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm visiting the inlaws here in Riverside, and found out my bro in-law's buick has water in the oil. He had taken it to a shop, and they said it was the intake manifold gasket. We got the gasket, but no FLAPS here seem to stock the haynes manual (it's not a multi-model one, it only covers the buick century from like 97-02). I'm about to tear into this engine, and I think I can figure everything out except for the tigtening sequence and torque values. Does anyone have access to those?

I REAAAALY hope it's *JUST* the intake manifold gasket, and I sure hope he hasn't spun a bearing yet. It's overheated a few times now, but he's stopped driving it.

Wish me luck!
bondo
Oh, and to top it off, the car he has been using (2000 chevy blazer) has taken a nose dive as well. The transmission is slipping really bad at the 1-2 shift. Anyone have any advice about that? Do blazers have the infamous TV cable?
mightyohm
Do they sell foreign cars in Riverslide?

I think the torque values are sellbothandbuyacivic.

914GT
Usually the intake is tightened down gradually starting from the inside bolts, crisscrossing and working your way out to the ends evenly. About 30 ft-lbs is a typical torque. If you can't find a manual you'll probably be OK with the above procedure and values. You can put some Permatex silicone sealant around the water passages to help improve sealing in those areas. If enough coolant got into the oil to turn it into a thick sludge you should change the oil and filter and run it till it's hot, then drain it all out. Then do a second oil change and new filter and run it again. Keep checking it until no evidence of water in the oil.

One last tip - use Permatex thread sealant (not silicone or thread tape) on the manifold bolts for any that are exposed to oil inside the engine.
bondo
Thanks for the advice.

The gaskets are not "typical intake manifold gaskets". It's quite possible that the torque sequence is not typical as well. The gaskets are made out of hard plastic, probably injection molded. They are not flat. The sealing areas have a silicone ridge molded in for sealing. I've never seen anything quite like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.