Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 140 LB Coil spring thickness?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Bay 914
I ended up with a set of rear coil springs that are new, but I do not know what pound rating they are, these are orange in color, and are 10.5 MM thick. I put them on the car and it raised the rear end up like a drag car. Must be made for adjustable perches.

Anyone have a set of 140 pounders not installed, they could measure and tell me the coil outside diameter? Thanks in advance.
skline
Yeah Martin, I have a set here that are Weltmiester 140's, I will dig them out and take a measurment, give me a few minutes to find them.
North Bay 914
Stern was looking at a recent Mid America Motor Werk catalouge....he saw the rising prices of the 914 parts in there, and he was really...well, just not happy...
North Bay 914
Thanks Scott. You are most helpfull. How are your car this evening? My red car is running great...now gathering the parts to do the five lug conversion...these Fuchs seen in the photo will be for sale soon. 5 wheels, one perfect, 4 Good, all straight, 5 center caps. These wheels are 100% original finish, no polishing no painting, just like they left the factory. No tires, they will go on the five lug Fuchs... Like to sell to a local Guy/Gal.
Aaron Cox
Martin, i too have a set sitting up on my shelf, but my calipers are at my dads work.

there is a spring rate calculator on the net

number of coils/length/diameter of coils etc and gies you a lb/in rating
skline
Actually Martin, I dont know if this will help you or not, Here is a picture with the only caliper I could find. It's not metric but you can see the inch readings and do the conversion.
skline
Oh, and I may be wrong about these springs, they may be 165 progressives. I know they were either 140 or 165 progressives, I just cant remember which.
dmenche914
Get your springs tested. A good alignment shop should have the machine that compresses each spring,a dn then gives a reading on the pounds force. Used springs, and even new one might not be matched. depending on manufacture, the diameter of the spring wire is not the sole determinate of the rating. heat treating and alloy contribute to the spring rate.

i know Custom alignment in Mt. View CA has a machine to measure spring rate, as they did it too mine.

So if you want to be really sure what you got, get the srping rate measured. They could be 140's, or some other rating, or old 140's that are worn. Only a spring tester will tellfor sure.

good luck
North Bay 914
OK, you guys know if the orange tell us anything? These have no ID on them at all other than color. I was reading that Weltmiester made a 100 pound spring, slightly stiffer than stock, which is what my guess is on these. Not sure. All I know is after I put them on, it sat like my old Z28 Camaro...ASS up! Aaron, is your caliper metric? Do you have a link to the spring calulation table? I just hate to buy another set of 140s if I already have a set...
skline
Hey Martin, the picture of your car looks pretty cool, were you sharing the track with the CHP or something? I see a lot of B&W's in the background. My car is running, that is about all I can say at this point, I have not had time to check it out much. I want to put it up in the air and check out everything before I take it too far again. Things like CV bolts, lug nuts, suspension points and so on. I would hate to have to use my AAA card.
North Bay 914
This was Sacramento Police training facility at the now closed Mather AFB. It was an SCCA charity event, I finished 107th out of 197 entries. It was fun, and I was faster than allot of cars I shouldn't have been....I had worked all night, and put a new clutch in it the day before....the best thing was the different types of cars, and all the folks saying, Wow I had one of those back in 197_...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.