Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plug wire seals at engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
The plug wires I use are Accel 7mm (I think) and they are a universal application so they didn't come with those nice grommets to seal the holes in the engine tin.

Those holes should be sealed as best as possible to maintain the cooling air pressure on the heads. Any air that leaks out is not being used to cool the engine.

I'm thinking of some type of small aluminum cover that I'll use a sheetmtal screw to attach it to the tin. This will only be a little larger than the hole and I can shape it to fit tight against the tin. Than use a small grommet to insulate the wire from the aluminum. You would have to remove the screw to pull the pulg wire but thats OK.

Anyone seen anything different or better or have any thoughts on my plan? confused24.gif

Paul
rhodyguy
hopefully dave hunt will chime in with the size. he went to a local hardware store and found large grommets that fit the plug wire ends and the tin holes.

k
JWest
I just bought a cheap set of bug plug wires that had the type of seal I wanted. I built wires from various leftovers (I always by the universal V8 sets for every engine I build so there are lots of leftover pieces from the 4's and 6's).

A short length of rubber tubing was used to increase the universal plug connector up to the ID of the plug seal, and shrink tubing holds the seal in place so it pushes against the tin and seals the hole.
URY914
QUOTE (James Adams @ Aug 30 2005, 05:32 AM)
A short length of rubber tubing was used to increase the universal plug connector up to the ID of the plug seal, and shrink tubing holds the seal in place so it pushes against the tin and seals the hole.

I've read this three times and can't see it in my mind. sad.gif

Any chance of a picture?
JWest
QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 30 2005, 08:39 AM)
I've read this three times and can't see it in my mind. sad.gif

Any chance of a picture?

Yeah, I was afraid of that...

I'll try to snap a pic tonight.
Cap'n Krusty
Why don't you just buy the real seals? They're cheap and readily available. The Cap'n
URY914
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 30 2005, 07:10 AM)
Why don't you just buy the real seals? They're cheap and readily available. The Cap'n

'Cause I want something cool that works better and that no one else has..... wink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (URY914 @ Aug 30 2005, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 30 2005, 07:10 AM)
Why don't you just buy the real seals?  They're cheap and readily available.  The Cap'n

'Cause I want something cool that works better and that no one else has..... wink.gif

i bought some of aforementioned seals for like a buck each from cip1.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.