Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift rod adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
I chopped my shift rod because i wanted to straighten it for the V8 conv. And other reasons....

I'm thinking i would just put the tranny in reverse and then put the shifter in the reverse position and weld the shift rod where the two pieces meet.

Can anyone with some experience see any flaws in this thinking?
Is there anything I should watch for? Besides flying monkeys coming out my butt? wink.gif biggrin.gif Miles...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Aug 30 2005, 11:11 AM)
I chopped my shift rod because i wanted to straighten it for the V8 conv. And other reasons....

I'm thinking i would just put the tranny in reverse and then put the shifter in the reverse position and weld the shift rod where the two pieces meet.

Can anyone with some experience see any flaws in this thinking?
Is there anything I should watch for? Besides flying monkeys coming out my butt? wink.gif biggrin.gif Miles...

2nd or third is a little easier. no side to side tension. put the trans in 2nd and the shifter straight up. make sure you have some adjustment room at the shifter connection (splined rod meets the clamp at the shifter)

make sure BOTH cone screws are tight.....

should work
lapuwali
I'd not use reverse, as you have (or should have) spring tension on the shifter in that position. I'd use 2nd or 3rd. It doesn't matter all that much, as you have lots of leeway at the adjuster to get it aligned after you've welded the two pieces together. In fact, I'd consider doing a partial alignment, mark the two pieces, and remove them from the car so you can weld them on a bench so have a better chance of getting them straight.

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Aug 30 2005, 11:30 AM)
I'd not use reverse, as you have (or should have) spring tension on the shifter in that position. I'd use 2nd or 3rd. It doesn't matter all that much, as you have lots of leeway at the adjuster to get it aligned after you've welded the two pieces together. In fact, I'd consider doing a partial alignment, mark the two pieces, and remove them from the car so you can weld them on a bench so have a better chance of getting them straight.

Thanks Arron and James.

James, i'm not aware of an "adjuster" anywhere in the shift linkage. Where is it?
I know the cone things on each end of the rod. No adjustment there.

Is it something at the shifter?

I'm not being a smart ass, i really don't know... sorry.

Roger
Aaron Cox
first...its A A ron

second. a splined rod in the tunnel, meets the shifter. you can loosen the clamp on the shifter, and the rotate the rod left to right, and can move the rod forward and backward to ensure you hit all gears.

lemme know if you need a pic.

look straight down at your shifter. put the lever in third (this will bring the rod forward to where you can see it) and you will see a 13mm bolt head clamping the base of the shifter to the rod...

AA
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 30 2005, 11:53 AM)
first...its A A ron

second. a splined rod in the tunnel, meets the shifter. you can loosen the clamp on the shifter, and the rotate the rod left to right, and can move the rod forward and backward to ensure you hit all gears.

lemme know if you need a pic.

look straight down at your shifter. put the lever in third (this will bring the rod forward to where you can see it) and you will see a 13mm bolt head clamping the base of the shifter to the rod...

AA

AAron, =-) i'm bad...

Thanks so much for the info!

God will surely look down upon you and smile favorably upon you and your 914. cool.gif biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
now get'r done and go weld boy!!!

laugh.gif
736conver
I chopped my rod in half, that sounds bad, and then inserted a wooden dowel. Worked great for mock up. The I cut a steel shaft the same length and welded it up. It is pretty forgiving with the adjustment in the tunnel.
Red-Beard
The sleeve in the tunnel is for tail shifters. The adjustment for the sideshift is in the tunnel, near the shifter.

See here:

http:\\home.san.rr.com\pb914\
SGB
Hay AA
Is it ~w~e~i~r~d~ having that double letter thing going on? Makes me wanna say Ah-Aron. Like Le-Loyd. Y'know? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.