Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot please read
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
okay i have lots of time, and lots of knowledge and skills that would be very helpful to new orleans

i am a hiker, i have first aid training, and as most of you know i am an electrician

i have sent about 20 emails to various people about going down to volunteer, but i dont have the money to get there. if i hear back from them i will be posting a thread here to do a fund to get me and my canoe there to help

so this maybe a way for all of us to help, with out just blindly handing money to the red cross
zymurgist
Are you sure they're going to let you in, what with NOLA being under martial law?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you, but you gotta make sure that they'll let you help. I'll kick in to send you if you do.
scotty914
this is why i have emailed fema, the state gov, and the local gov down there. i wont go with out their blessing
zymurgist
Cool... keep us informed. What do you need, money for gas/food/sundries?
scotty914
i would need gas, food, water

i have water filters that can filter out anything, so any water would be for emergencys. i dont think i would be handing out food and water. it would be for me

my truck can handle a lot, plus the canoe
rick 918-S
Check with your charities to see if they need a driver to move local donations. Churches, hospitals, building supply companies, etc. If you know how to estimate property damage you may be able to sign on with an Independent Adjusting Company to help with claims. I have friends that make $ 100,000.00 in 6 months working storm claims.
scotty914
i am not offering to do this for money, i am offering to go help people who need help. i have the abilities that are/will be needed.

people will need help getting out, people will need first aid. i am worried more about the lives i could help, then them getting checks
rick 918-S
I know you mean well. I just came in from the car. On public radio, the authories are asking well meaning people not affiliated with an organized group to stay away until further notice. Find a group that is going in and join up with them. There are too many issues to deal with now. Dead bodies, Looting, transportation, blocked roads, no street signs, no place for a tourist alone. Again, join up with a group and go in in numbers.
MarkG
American Red Cross or Salvation Army best bets. Have you done disaster relief before?

I spent 13 years in public safety (Police/Fire/Rescue), and if you haven't done this sort of thing before (or been in a war) you have no idea what it will be like; believe me nothing will stick in your memory like the odor of mass decomposing bodies combined with stagnant water, human waste and other various contaminants......add to that the local animal life - water snakes, alligators, etc.

There will be enough construction jobs down there in a few months to end un-employment in America for years to come; my job ends in mid-October, may grab my hammer and saw and put in 12 hour days 7 days a week for 6 months or so....
scotty914
yes i have disaster releif training so i know what i would be running in to

but time for and update, i have been contacted by the governor of LA, i have been added to a list of volunteers. i will be contacted tommarrow if they want me to come down. right now they are just compling names and resources, they will make desisions tomarrow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.