Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Panasport wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
serge914
This look like a nice set at a great price but will they fit my 914 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2425655311
Brad Roberts
Not that set. Pano does sell sets for our 914's. Pricey..but worth it.

B
Mueller
serge914 Posted on Jul 30 2003, 01:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This look like a nice set at a great price but will they fit my 914 ?

No, they will not fit your 914, they will however, fit mine* smile.gif

*my hubs and rotors have been re-studded for the 4x100bolt pattern, you need 4x130 for a stock 914
ninefourteener
Nope, the lug pattern for a 914-4 is 4 x 130.

There aren't too many available options for aftermarket wheels on a teener. Trust me, I've looked

You can convert to a 5 lug setup, but htats pricey.

You can redrill the hubs, but you have to replace them if the rotors ever go bad, and drill the new ones again.

Or you can just keep what you have ohmy.gif)
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 30 2003, 12:25 PM)
Not that set. Pano does sell sets for our 914's. Pricey..but worth it.

B

Is there a website that has wheels pictured that will fot a teener?
Mueller
Panasport

They look just like those in the ad. AFAIK, Panasport only makes one style of rim for the 914.

For those out of state, Americas Tires or Discount Tires sells Panasport rims. You have to call and ask, they are not in thier database for on-line purchases.
serge914
I dont believe it. I hit refresh and I already get 3 answers to my question.

Thanks. Here is what I have now and believe me, I dont want to keep it:
Jeroen
Nice looking car!
I really like the color

cheers,

Jeroen
SirAndy
QUOTE(serge914 @ Jul 30 2003, 01:37 PM)
I dont believe it. I hit refresh and I already get 3 answers to my question.

Thanks. Here is what I have now and believe me, I dont want to keep it:

the wheels you have there are actually semi rare, the VW crowd would pay big bucks for them.
re-welded and widened original VW steel wheels ...

i had a set of 8" and 9" of those on my bug wink.gif

Andy
ninefourteener
Actually, the wheels don't look too bad at all. The tires don't fill in the car very well though... too low?

I bet a couple of those "moons" hubcaps would look really good!

Now..... the RED porsche grill lettering???????
ninefourteener
HERE YA GO!!!

I posted this in a different thread a couple days ago..... I knew someone would need them!!!

19 hours left!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=38662
SirAndy
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jul 30 2003, 02:10 PM)
The tires don't fill in the car very well though... too low?

the car needs to be lower ...
Anton
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2003, 01:04 PM)
the wheels you have there are actually semi rare, the VW crowd would pay big bucks for them.
re-welded and widened original VW steel wheels ...

Are not! Why do you call them VW rims while they are early style, factory 914 wheels??? IMPO, all they need are chrome center caps.
ChrisReale
I bought a set of Panasports for my 914. 15x7 with 4 and 7/8" backspacing with 130x4 bolt pattern. They are great. Cost about $240 each because they have to machine them for our unique bolt pattern. 4x100 wheels are closer to $200 each.
Mueller
I like those steel rims on that car.......I'd go with tires just a little wider while keeping the same diameter....

The fit looks good in the rear, the front needs a spacer to move the wheels out some to fill up the void, but this is true for all stock 914's IMHO

I'd rather see the lug nuts instead of putting the hub caps back on barf.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Anton @ Jul 30 2003, 02:23 PM)
Are not! Why do you call them VW rims while they are early style, factory 914 wheels???

because they're EXACTLY (down to the stamping on the back) like the wheels the bugs (02 and 03) came with in the early/mid seventies ...

i had 5 or 6 of those (bugs) and they all came with those wheels in 5 1/2" wide and the big chrome centercaps.
and all the bug guys look for those with different ET or widened ...

trust me laugh.gif
Andy
Aaron Cox
i thought they had a different offset than the beetle version
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jul 30 2003, 03:11 PM)
i thought they had a different offset than the beetle version

they came in different offsets, don't remember all the ET's but i recall that everyone was looking for the 5 1/2 with ET 21 to run 195/50 x 15 on them (for the bugs) ...

the ones in the pic above have to much (deep) offset to be original.
looks like they have been widened. which is exactly how they did my 8" and 9".
brad had a set on that old white 914 racecar that was something ridiculous like 9" and 11" ?!?

Andy
Aaron Cox
seems like quite a stretch confused24.gif 5.5 -> 11? double....wow. anybody widen f lug fuchs?
Aaron Cox
are the stock steel wheels lighter than the alloys? MDB2.gif
Joe Bob
Just got the new Tweeks catalog....they are still selling those cheesy Rivieras. 499 for a set of four....in either gold or balck accents..... barf.gif
serge914
Thats it, I had to check it. And of course the wife said : Problem with the Porsche again.

I just did pull one off the car and there are no number or anything in the back. No obvious soldering either. Tires are 195/50R15. The paint would be original if it would be a GM. And it came with the red lettering when I bought it a few months ago.

Thanks for all you comments. Next time I will post a pic of the wife and you can post you modifications suggestions .
serge914
One more: No I am not the guy on the picture.
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jul 30 2003, 03:36 PM)
seems like quite a stretch confused24.gif 5.5 -> 11? double....wow. anybody widen f lug fuchs?

they cut out the center and weld it into a wider rim.
they usually don't splice the rim and add material ...

Andy
ChrisReale
Here's a pic of mine
Aaron Cox
look alot like empi's to me... confused24.gif
ChrisReale
I think they are designed after the mini-lite wheel
campbellcj
Pic of my previous teener with Panasports + 205/50 Hoosiers --

I really liked these wheels as a wider 4-lug solution. They are very light and strong, too.
MJHanna
QUOTE(serge914 @ Jul 30 2003, 04:49 PM)

Next time I will post a pic of the wife and you can post you modifications suggestions .

I can’t wait to see a picture of the wife clap56.gif
Anton
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 30 2003, 02:08 PM)
because they're EXACTLY (down to the stamping on the back) like the wheels the bugs (02 and 03) came with in the early/mid seventies ...

i had 5 or 6 of those (bugs) and they all came with those wheels in 5 1/2" wide and the big chrome centercaps.
and all the bug guys look for those with different ET or widened ...

I trust you Andy, the majority of parts on the 914 is robbed from the VW bin. wink.gif

My point is, whether the 914 was originally equipped with either a "Porsche" or a "VW" part is irrelevant. Just call it a 914 part so that the poor guy knows that is okay to have them. Because, let's face it, everybody is trying to deny the VW background of the 914.
tat2dphreak
maybe I'm blind to the subtleties... but they look a lot like EMPI rims... and those are cheap to get...
ChrisReale
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 31 2003, 12:06 PM)
maybe I'm blind to the subtleties... but they look a lot like EMPI rims... and those are cheap to get...

Yes they are different. Looks are deceiving. If the empi's were lighter, stronger, available in 15 by 7 inches with 4 and 7/8 inch backspacing, and were made better, I probably would have bought the Empis

I got the Panasports for racing.
Anton
Nice car, BTW. I like the 916 front bumper. Particularly in the second picture the chrome wheels look good. aktion035.gif
serge914
Thanks Anton. The only problem with the front bumber is that it is half an inch larger than the fenders. Doesn't look right.

Honestly, I prefer the look of the 914-6 GT with the opening for the front oil cooler.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (serge914 @ Jul 30 2003, 04:49 PM)

Next time I will post a pic of the wife and you can post you modifications suggestions .

I can’t wait to see a picture of the wife
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't bother....the answer is........they all need bigger.......bank accounts....... w00t.gif
Qarl
Serge's car looks really, really nice.

If it were mine, I would reinstall black bumpers with the oil cooler outlet or chrome bumpers to match the wheels. You're right, the 916 bumper looks a little odd without the bigger finders in this case. In some cars it looks okay.

Overall.. it's a really nice looking ride!

Any interior pics?
serge914
Thanks but this is nothing compare to your project
Being optimistic, I would say there is room for improvement.
The floor will need some attention ( POR 15 ) but I am not planning to put any carpets.
I will leave the door panels without armrests, GT style.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.