Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am going to buy my first 914 tomorrow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ciateener
Tomorrow I am going to check 2 914 . One is a70 2.0 owned by some young fo that doesnt know what he has .The other is a73 1.8 owned by an old guy that knws what he has but has to get rid of it (the wife said so) monkeydance.gif
LukeD
From what you just posted..

70 2.0, 2 liters didn't come out until 73 so either they don't know or an engine transplant was done. If they insist on it being a 2 liter ask for documentation. I highly doubt it's 2 liter.

73 1.8, once again, 1.8's didn't come out until 74, if there is a big "square"air cleaner box on the passenger side of the engine compartment then it's a 1.8, if its round and sits on the top of the motor then it's a 1.7, if its sorta rectangular and on top of the engine it's a 2 liter.

This assumes that they are still fuel injected, if they both have carbs then getting the serial numbers off the engine is the only way to identify what type of case it has. If either car looks somewhat abused try and get the best price possible. I would suggest taking a digicam and posting detailed pictures on here before you hand over any hard earned cash. Also, if you are not interested please post pics anyway just incase someone in the area is looking for such a car biggrin.gif

Luke
ciateener

[SIZE=7]I need some advice on what to look for : for example rust , wire harness, engine noises , things that would cost me more $ in the long run that I could catch
now. I would apreciate any advice. biggrin.gif
ciateener
thanks for the reply. The 70 for sure didnt know anything but then again i dont know that much my self but the guy with the 73? did mention the car having dual webers
Tobra
Rust is bad, mmkay. Look under the area where the battery is, inside both trunks, pull up the carpet there, and in the interior, particularly behind the seats and near the pedals. Check out how easy it is to roll the windows up and down, look for missing trim, broken bits. Some of that stuff is crazy expensive. Take lots of pics and post them here. I am a total neophyte myself, and am going to the DMV tomorrow to get the tags on the car I purchased last Saturday. Take a flashlight, and a little mirror to look into and under things, wear crappy clothes, or bring some coveralls so you can crawl aroung on the ground. Check the VIN's, and the paint code, on the doorjam as I recall.
ciateener
now lets say Iget one of these two which would be a better choice the 1.8 or the 2.0 if in deed they are telling the truth
rktmn247
70 2.0, 2 liters didn't come out until 73 so either they don't know or an engine transplant was done. If they insist on it being a 2 liter ask for documentation. I highly doubt it's 2 liter.

unless the 70 2.0 is a six?
GWN7
You really should read This , it helps. beerchug.gif
swl
agree.gif Add to your list (taken from my car as an example of one with reasonably hidden rust damage that is just getting serious).

where the floor meets the inner longs (door sills). Particularly where the crossbrace meets the sill. The longs rot from the inside out so even a little hole there means some major reconstruction.

Ask him to jack the car up. If he baulks or brings out anything other than the factory jack get your head in the rear wheel well and look forward behind the rocker. The jack posts are the first to rot out. How bad is it? has it been repaired previously? What is the quality of the repair?

Under the car, the first 4" back the rocker panel toward the rear of the seat. Again it is part of the long. These longs are the structural frame - very important.

The car has ashphalt on the floor and rubberized sound deadening on the underside. Don't be fooled by good looking paint - the rust can travel between the two. Pick away at any cracks in that material and see what is under it.

YOU WILL FIND RUST. It is just a matter of how bad. Greatly effects the price you should pay.

And one bit of philosophy - don't buy it today. Take pictures ask questions then come back here and talk to some of these guys who have been nursing these things for decades.

Steve
DNHunt
Take an ice pick along when you look at the 73. If the guy knows his stuff he'll know why you have it. Don't use it, just listen to what he says. If he knows it's rusty he won't let you near it. That probably won't work on the 70.

Have the guys take the rocker covers off. If there is a bunch of dirt you know the car has been neglected and you should be skeptical.

Also drive the cars and listen for transmission noise. growling is not good.

Dave

rhodyguy
if you haven't done so, go to pelican and read the 914 Buyer's Guide. print it out if you can and take it with you. take a good flashlight with you when you survey the cars you are interested in. be prepared to walk away if you have any doubts. note any issues you discover, and report back here for advice. the car will prob be there tomorrow. beware of the "i've got 3 other people coming over to look at it today" ploy. during the initial chat, ask how long the car has been for sale.

k
URY914
Maybe there is a memebr here that would want to go with you.
There seems to be members on every corner in Cal. rolleyes.gif

Paul

skline
Send me a PM, I might be able to go with you to look at the cars. It depends on where they are and when you want to go. I am down in the OC. I know a little about these cars. biggrin.gif
Allan
If you have never dealt with these cars before I would HIGHLY recommend that you see if someone that does can go with you...
Mike D.
Where are the cars located. I'm in LA and might be able to help.
-Mike D.
mightyohm
Has anyone actually ever managed to convince someone to take the rockers off a 914 for sale? Drilling out plastic rivets seems like a lot to ask of a seller. It has never worked for me...

SpecialK
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Aug 31 2005, 11:16 AM)
Has anyone actually ever managed to convince someone to take the rockers off a 914 for sale? Drilling out plastic rivets seems like a lot to ask of a seller. It has never worked for me...

You might be able to remove the lower screws, and pull out the rocker enough to take a peek up behind them with a flashlight.......wear safety glasses to keep the inevitable "crap" from blinding you when it falls out.

Oh, wait....it's a Cali car, none of them have rust! lol2.gif
skline
Well, I just talked to Chris and we are going to meet over in Huntington Beach around 3:30 or so and go look at the first of the two cars he is thinking about. I will post up our findings when I get home and before I go to the dinner tonight.
skline
Well, the car is right around the corner from Joe Sharps house like 2 blocks away. I told him where it was at and he said that was the HB Slums. The car is a parts car. Broken windshield, crashed and fix (Badly) front end. It's a 71 with some major rust issues. Let's just say the door gap is getting smaller at the top of the passenger door. It's probably worth a couple hundred bucks. Lots of good useable parts though. Late door and the early doors, 2 hoods, 2 rear deck lids, halfway decent early interior, chrome bumpers including an early type rear but they both have dings in them. Empi wheels with flat worthless tires, 2 tailshift transmissions and a running 1.7 liter with FI. I gave Joe the number for the guy and left it up to him if he wants to cut another one up.

Next
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.