Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - There goes the gas prices...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
In my neck of the woods one of the big gas station chains is Speedway. Now in my big city of Portage Indiana blink.gif we have three speedways. I took my boy to Nana's so she could watch him for the day and on the way home I thought I would stop and fillup the truck. headbang.gif The station by mom is $2.97 for regular, I thought I would check the other two. The next station is 3 miles in the wrong direction from where I needed to go but hey look they are $2.83, so like a dumass I stop and fill up the truck ($48). I pass the speedway which is about 1 mile from my house, damn...$2.63 WTF.

My little trip this morning was 8 miles, so there is a $.36 a gal difference between 3 stations all from the same company. Why confused24.gif not that it really matters at these prices now days but still.
TimT
Te price difference is because the stations are franchises. And the owner of the station that is charging the most is giving you a sheeplove.gif

It would be economical to bypass the expensive station, and buy from the less expensive station.

$0.36 diff/gallon is significant
scottb
i saw a 40 cent per gallon difference within 16 miles here in MD. closer you get to DC the more per gallon.

$2.95 on my way in to the office this morning in darnestown.

ArtechnikA
have a look at the highs and lows here: CaliforniaGasPrices.com.

$3.19/gal for unleaded regular in South Lake Tahoe.
Lee Vining and Bridgeport (in the middle of nowhere on US 395) are typically $0.30/gal higher than that, but neither was reported in the 48-hr sampling period when i looked. watch out if you're headed to Yosemite up the backside...

you're kinda stuck there, because they're both too far from anywhere else to make driving there and back for cheaper gas possibly worth it.
skline
It all boils down to greed, you were not supposed to hear that oil is really only $21.00 a barrel, that slipped out, they want you to think the oil is $62.00 a barrel. They also want you to think that we need the oil from foriegn companies when in reality, we have enough stock piled to last ten years at the current trends.
skline
I was just talking to someone on the phone and they said that tomorrow is the day you are not supposed to buy gas. I started laughing, tell me what this would do? A big fat nothing!! One day wont change anything at all. The oil companies would just sit back at the golf course, sipping martinis, smoking big fat cuban cigars and laughing all the way tot he next day when the money came pouring in again. I told her if you really want to make a difference, it would take at least 40% of America to stop driving their cars for about 6 months, ride a bike to work instead, use public transportation. Even at that, it would probably not make much difference. She said she lived too far to do that. I asked how far she had to go, she said 12 miles each way. I told her, ok, if you rode a bike to work 12 miles, at the average speed of say 12 miles per hour, you would be to work in about an hour, no traffic hassles, you would be excersizing at the same time and this country would lose weight and be healthier. I could not find a drawback there. America is just a bunch of whiners that are over weight and spoiled. They all talk about trying to make a difference but wont do anything about it. They complain about gas prices and then go buy big old SUV's that get less than 10 MPG. All I have to say is, if you are not willing to do something about it, dont even talk about it. We only see what they want us to see, open your eyes world, we live in a controlled environment and it is controlled by big business and our government. It's only a free country if you do it their way. We are all doing what they want us to do. Why? Because so many of us are mindless and dont look past what is right in front of us. It's all about control and they have it.

End of rant, I could go on for days.
davep
Price jumped 20% here overnight.
balljoint
I filled up for $0.99/litre last night (praise your deity of choice). This morning gas is $1.20/litre. 20% increase overnight. confused24.gif

zymurgist
I don't know why Maryland gas prices are so high. I live next to the Mason-Dixon line. I have been buying gas in Pennsylvania for the past few weeks at a rather consistent 20 to 24 cent per gallon discount compared to the prices I seen in Maryland. It's worth a 10 minute detour for me... I did the math, and as long as I buy more than 2 gallons, I'm saving money.

Even with my 35 mpg Neon, it hurts.
cooltimes
Took me 3 times to log on today. Anyone else having problems. Cookies not allowed on my system.

Back to the thread:

Right on Skline but nobody reads the rants except the lurker who don't add a hoot. People seem to be just what big business wants them to be. Morons of the 1st degree. I was downsized to retirement 10 years ago because the place I worked didn't like the fact that older Americans THINK for themselves. They became concerned about my letters to the editor and actually gave me retirement from there only because I was spewing my story everywhere. I hadn't worked there long enough to get anything according to the retirement funding rules. My ranting paid me some $ per month for life from that corporation that I never would have gotten by being passive. If I had sat on my hard times butt, we would have been worse off than we are now. You can win but not by kissing anyone's butt.

I used the Internet to warn my 914 friends back in 95 but nobody gave a damn. Just some old man ranting. Now. Was I wrong? Hell no.

When the majority don't care about anyone beyond yourself, as many described, trouble will hit all of them between the eyes down the road.
The next generation can forget what America was unless this generation stands upright and make it work once again. Their children and grandchildren will be like the hurricane victims, Without anything. Conspiracy. No. Just a bunch of sheep. IMHO. Read again. IMHO !!!!

Took my Mother in laws car down to get some gas. 1st station, an independant station had signs showing no fuel of any grades. Next passed Exxon with $2.79 for regular. Was Empty. No Gas.
Passed that and went to the supermarket pumps, Krogers. Their reg was $2.75. No grades higher were available. Came home and told Mother in law and my wife we all need to walk more. Bicycles are all aired up here and ready to roll. Even have a basket on one for fetching groceries and supplies.

davep
You have pretty well nailed it. No arguments here. My boss is telling me less and less because, after 16 years here, I know too much already. My annual increases the last few years have been trying to push me out the door.
GaroldShaffer
Well the station that WAS $2.63 is now $3.19. Neighbor just filled. I'm lucky my commute is only 14 steps, I work from home biggrin.gif
markb
$3.35 for 87 this morning. $40.00 to fill a 914??? D@mn! ohmy.gif
scottb
GOUGING!!!!!

price went up $.43 between 9am and 4pm today.

i call bullshit!

Toast
Was $3.03-$3.13 this morning. I hate to see what it is now. flipa.gif headbang.gif ar15.gif
flatout
skline, agree.gif Have been trying to tell people here to get cars that get better mileage than their big suvs and trucks,the usual response is "Can't haul much then,can I?I bet you can't haul much in those little cars of yours!"I stop and consider the source and think,one day, they will wish they had a 'little car' that gets better gas mileage than their big rig.Gas here went up 60 cents in 3 days.Disgusting........
Sammy
You think it's bad now? Wait for a week or two when they start the manditory rationing.

I got the call today. I and my staff are offered up to help get the refineries up and running again, along with countless thousands of others.

Not sure if I will be working from california or Louisiana, but I will be responsible for helping getting a lot of pumps rebuilt. Not sure how many yet, my guess is the total will be between 6000 and 8000 large API style pumps. I'll probably have several hundred for my crew to rebuild at at least $20k each. Some will cost 10 times that.

My shop is maxed out if we have 30 pumps a month (we work on the big stuff) and normal turnaround time on a pump is three weeks. We aren't going to have that kind of time.
They don't even know how bad it is yet because they can't even get to some of the refineries. Others are not as bad, they are only under 3 feet of water. Pumps and motors don't like being under water. This is ugly.
nyum96
$5.49 in downtown Atlanta. A lot of gas stations are taking advantage of the situation. Sure, Atlanta has had an increase in refugees but still, prices can not double every half hour. On an average, prices rose 20-30 cents overnight in the ATL/burbs area

. I think the GA government stepped in and put out an executive order on these money hungry gas stations.

BB
Tobra
QUOTE (scottb @ Aug 31 2005, 12:48 PM)
GOUGING!!!!!

price went up $.43 between 9am and 4pm today.

i call bullshit!

Exactly, they gouge you because they can get away with it. Thing is, California does not use gasoline refined in the Gulf, so this Hurricane really should have no impact on prices. Of course, they will say it is from increased costs, which begs the question, how does a hurricane hitting have any impact on the gasoline you bought and paid for two weeks ago, you opportunistic bastard. Nice how they are raping the refugees. They are doing that in Houston too, $200 for a night in a hotel that cost $40 the day before, ar15.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 31 2005, 03:38 PM)
You think it's bad now? Wait for a week or two when they start the manditory rationing.

Was just talking to a co worker about this very same thing. IF there is a shortage then there should be manditory rationing. I say that while I sit here in my home office listening to my backyard neighbors running their 4 wheelers and go cart.

I think it would be a good thing, it would make people think before they just go and waste their fuel.

I am trying to confirm something that I heard today on the radio. That oil from the Alaska pipeline is actually sold to Asia and other places. I have found nothing to back that statement up, but if it is true why would we do that and buy oil from places in the middle east? That makes no sense to me.

oops, there I go spreading a rumor. Its just that Rumor that I can't find any trurth to.

Sammy, good luck to you and your people. I have spent all day on calls working out details on how to restore cellular service (what we can) in New Orleans. We have a crew of 15 heading out in the next few days to help get switching service back up.
914GT
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Aug 31 2005, 05:16 PM)
I am trying to confirm something that I heard today on the radio. That oil from the Alaska pipeline is actually sold to Asia and other places. I have found nothing to back that statement up, but if it is true why would we do that and buy oil from places in the middle east? That makes no sense to me.

I was just standing next to the Alaska pipeline about 2 weeks ago. I was told by the locals that a percentage of the oil is sold to Japan and some other Asian markets. The reason is economics - it's far cheaper to ship oil to Japan because it's closer. Also it had something to do with refinery capability in California and having to send oil through the panama canal to east coast refineries. This works out assuming Japan and these countries give equal value oil credits with the US for other supplies.
914GT
A few pics of the pipeline that I took:
David_S
Went by one of the cheap places here this morning and paid $2.55 a gallon. Stopped by at lunch and got gas for the lawn mower and it had already went up to $2.77. Wished I had filles up. headbang.gif Drove past the same station this evening after work and the shit was $2.95. Looks like I am either going to start walking to work or get the old Yamaha out of storage and get it running again!!!!
redshift
Kiss me.

Yesterday: $2.79

Today: $5.69

You think I am joking?

M
Kostamojen
I guess i'm lucky... Only went from $2.75 to 2.85 since monday at my local station.
Kostamojen
Nevermind, its up to $3.01 now for regular...
cooltimes
All this price acceleration has me puzzled. Some say the price for a barrel of crude is actually $21 so here is where the confusion enters. Nowhere have I seen our government suggest stepping in and identify those that are driving the oil up. I really want to know who is responsible. I want their names plastered on all the front pages of every newspaper in this country. Who they are, where they live and more than anything how they can get away with this. It's one thing to make a gain on an investment but to rape every man, woman and child with runaway gouging is a crime that should have a harsh punishment. Hell, the government has froze wages, price of gold and other things in the past and if the man in charge in DC won't say enough is enough, I think more than 80 million others who are going to be hungry and likely unemployed because of the Jackels doing this should be ready, willing and able to stop this dodo. What? Think of a Clint Eastwood movie title.

Fuel here has risen to $3.19 (87 octane), long lines and out of gas signs well over 2 hours ago.
It is really sad we have to use this 914 bbs to say these things since those robbers doesn't have one.
redshift
The futures market is what has blown it up, just like the speculation in real estate.. here comes the big shiver..

If you are a speculator, hang-on-to-your-pants, the ride is about to begin!

M
Andyrew
2.95 for reg at chev....
SLITS
****Flash****Tonight in SoCal at the cheapies..$3.05 to $3.39. I have my butt plug in!
David_S
QUOTE (cooltimes @ Aug 31 2005, 10:08 PM)
and if the man in charge in DC won't say enough is enough,

Don't mean to turn this political, but when that "dodo" is a Texas oil man himself, he ain't gonna say it is enough for a while. The more he can get for the oil he sells, the more money goes into his pockets. Want cheaper fuel??? Maybe we should elect a few politicians that aren't tied in with the oil industry and don't own their own oil wells. Just my opinion ....... Flame Suit is on !!!!!!!
redshift
QUOTE (David_S @ Sep 1 2005, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (cooltimes @ Aug 31 2005, 10:08 PM)
and if the man in charge in DC won't say enough is enough,

Don't mean to turn this political, but when that "dodo" is a Texas oil man himself, he ain't gonna say it is enough for a while. The more he can get for the oil he sells, the more money goes into his pockets. Want cheaper fuel??? Maybe we should elect a few politicians that aren't tied in with the oil industry and don't own their own oil wells. Just my opinion ....... Flame Suit is on !!!!!!!

Let's not fall to easy conspiracy, or political tactics that use disasters to further themselves.

M
cooltimes
Political or not, there is truth that Governments around the globe need to investigate. Too many conditions in the last couple of years imply some will do anything to futher their cause. Power, as all things are not altogether about money. They lose nothing but gain great power over millions not to mention their super wealth when things happen because of trusted politicians who lie and think it is honorable to be deceiving others.

No political party can be blamed for what Mother Nature does. But political or not, many connected with their political buddies are gaining from the misery created by old Mother Nature. When people in those hurricane disaster areas are trying to get out of there with their children and they can't because of the gas prices, they could die a slow horrible death. Disease is probable. Seen how filthy all the water is. Full of sewage as well as years of accumulated filth. Sure there is relief but not enough, soon enough.

Some had the foresight to leave as quick as they knew what was coming. They are the BTDT crowd so they know. There are more than 10,000 hurricane refugees here in Memphis as I type. They had money and could afford to get out of that area. Most of those left are the poor and elderly. Many are now looting. Understand, if it was you, you probably would too. Like all beings, it is their duty to survive.

redshift
Government:

What we lose in the margins, we'll make up in volume!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.