Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car won't start-but it did 5 minutes ago!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Just replaced the fuel pump, which took care of 1/2 of my running problems. The car still hesitiates below 3200 rpms though. Last night I tested the TPS by unplugging it- it helped a bit, but not enough to make me think that it's the whole problem. Plugged it back in, and drove it home. Fiddled with the 2 front turn signals which don't blink I (the back ones do), couldn't find the problem, so then I went to start it up to pull it into the garage for the night, and couldn't get it started again. headbang.gif
The engine turns over just fine, the fuel pump is working (and I can feel gas in the lines) but the engine won't catch. I had started it up and drove it around not 5 minutes before, and previously it always started right up (the one thing it did well). Anyone have any ideas? I've checked to make sure all wires in the engine compartment are still connected. Hanes manual was no help, according to it, the cars flooded. However a day later same thing, car no work-ey. I think this car hates me.
TravisNeff
I'd start with checking your dwell and timing first, FI components next
rjames
I guess I should have added that it came out of the shop not 3 days before this happened, where they made sure the dwell and timing were set correctly, and checked the distributer points as well. My thought was that timing couldn't have 'adjusted' itself so badly as to cause it not to start. But maybe I'm wrong on this...
freezing14
I had the same thing happend to me,, the CHT was disconnected, no cht connected it will not run
markb
Same thing if the grounds on top of the motor came unplugged. dry.gif
TravisNeff
The spade connector on the CHT is unsheilded, make sure it is not grounding out on the tin
echocanyons
Were does the ground on the top of the motor go to/come from?
TravisNeff
To the ECU
TravisNeff
To the ECU
rjames
well the CHT was connected and the spade connector wasn't touching anything. Ground wires from the engine? Where exactly are these ground wires (every wire I can find so far is connected to something...)
I've got a 75 2.0 if that helps anyone to help me :-)

I'm going to check resistance all the way to the ECU from the CHT tonight. yay.
TravisNeff
All the ground wires for the FI - on your engine all go to one place, look behind the intake plenum on the block. There is a bolt through the top of the case that should have 3 spade ground connectors - the wires will be white.

If your car is just hesitating, it could also be your TPS is out of whack. That is attached to your throttle body - disconnect it and go for a spin. What that part does - it has 11 clicks on it where it sends a bit of extra fuel when you add throttle before the MPS can react. Your car will be sluggish, but if the hesistation is gone - then you know you need to reposition/calibrate your TPS.
nyum96
Hot wire the car. Mine problem was a result of a bad mechancal portion of the ignition (at the steering wheel). One minute it was fine and the next it would not start, at all. Engine would just turn, pump worked, etc, etc.

BB
rjames
Well it turned out to be a bad relay board. Plugged in one that I bought on ebay a while back and it started right up. The new board also took care of the 'hesitation problems under 3200rpms' that I was experiencing. Car drives beautifully now! mueba.gif

Now I just need to replace the front wheel bearings, fix the rear brakes, battery area, right turn signal, blower motor switch.... rolleyes.gif

Thanks again for all the help everyone, much appreciated!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.