Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Clutch Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
I'm concerned about my clutch adjustment. Am I being a hyPORcondriac?

Car: 914/6. New everything between engine and transmission (including cup bushing). Rebuilt pedal cluster 500 miles ago - cluster felt good before clutch job.

Current clutch adjustment: Nut is 1/2 inch screwed into place on adjustment rod/cable.

Pedal feel: Sloppy. Pedal sits 1/2 to 3/4 inch below brake pedal. I seem to remember it sitting higher. I tightened the adjustment, and got some better feel, and no more gear "crunch". I would think that this much adjustment would be enough.

Seems like I'm having to adjust it too far. Clutch "grabs" at the bottom of the pedal, as I first start to lift my foot. I'm used to the clutch engaging much higher.

So... tighten more, or look for problems elsewhere?

-Rusty smoke.gif
airsix
How much free-play is there when you PULL the pedal toward the seat? Shouldn't be a lot. I forget the spec. Oh, wait my Haynes manual is only 36" from my right hand. Hold on... Spec is 13 to 19mm (that's roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch but this is a Porsche and it don't speak inches).

The tighter the cable is the further back it pulls the pedal. If you reach down and pull back on the pedal and it doesn't pivot back there is no free-play. If it moves back more than 3/4" there is too much free-play.

-Ben M.
Joe Bob
I believe there is a helper spring that keeps the pedal level with the brake pedal...it is the floor board area......free play is the adjusted at the trans via the double nut. Should be 1/2 to 3/4 inches like the previous poster (Ben) said.....
Lawrence
There's a LOT of pedal play when I pull the pedal towards the seat. 2 inches? Maybe more. I'm going to tighten the cable some more at lunch.

If I have time, I'll pull the mats and pedal board and peek at the springs in the cluster. They were all fine before I did the job, and I didn't mess with them. Hmmmm.
JFJ914
The clutch pedal spring holds the pedal down, that's why you pull the pedal back against the spring to check the free play.
Lawrence
I tightened it up, and it feels good. It was much too loose.

Thanks, and sorry for the bother. Sometimes I get a brain cramp on simple shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.