Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: B for 9...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeloMech
Greetings All ~

My grandfather had an old 914, then my father had one (says it's in pieces in storage somewhere) and I mentioned to my mother that I wanted a little 2-seat convertible. Well, she stumbled across this 74 MGB that was a mess. I've cleaned it up and got it running now. Replaced alot of little things on it.

Anyway... I posted the mg for sale and I'm going to start looking for a 914 project to restore. I'm guessing I'll want a pre-75 with a 2.0. Can you offer any other tips on the typical problem areas with these little beasties?

thanks.
Robert
lapuwali
'73-'74 are the years with 2.0s, though the '70-'72 chassis are lighter, and the 2.0 goes into anything. If you stick with '73-'74 and everything in it is stock (which is far from guaranteed), your primary problems are rust, rust, and rust. There's been a lot of discussion on this question, but no one has really written a definitive guide on this. Don't expect the car to be rust-free just because it's in California, either.

Your best bet would be to hook up with a SoCal board member and have them inspect the car with you.
Mike D.
How much rust on the B. I've got a friend looking for a shell with less rust than his east coaster
Dave_Darling
Check the "how to buy a 914" article and the 914 FAQ over on the Pelican Parts site. For the Buyers Guide, go into the Porsche section, then on the left side of the page under "914" click on "Buyers Guide". For the FAQ, click on "Tech Articles" and then scroll down until you see FAQ, then click on it.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Aug 31 2005, 03:06 PM)
Your best bet would be to hook up with a SoCal board member and have them inspect the car with you.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.