Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question regarding Rennshifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brokenmoped
I am highly considering purchasing a Rennshifter in the near future and had a few questions...

First, is it as smooth as everyone says it is? How can it be "new car" smooth on the 901?

Second, is first gear easier to find and will I still nick reverse on occasion?

Third, You know how when you shift into first, or any gear for that matter, and you start to shift, but you kind of have to muscle the shifter an extra bit to get it into gear...will that disappear with the Rennshifter?

Fourth, is first as smooth as the other gears to get into? (I swear I've pulled my shoulder trying to get that damn thing into gear!)

Ok, that's about it. Actually one more...is it worth the price?

Thanks,

C.
Aaron Cox
you can push straight up from first and its impossible to hit reverse
Mueller
it sounds like you have other issues with your shifting, are the bushings shot?

is the shifter aligned correctly per the manual instructions?

brokenmoped
Bushings are fine. Shifter is aligned...but apparently I have some weird short shift kit right now - don't know brand or when it was installed. I lubed everything up with grease and it improved very minimally.
Joe Bob
It helps if the shift rod, bushings and other wear items have been renewed.

Nothing will fix a screwed up synchro except for a trans rebuild....
scottb
if your bushings are new and everything aligned properly, your shifting will improve.

then add the rennshift and you will have that "new car feel".

when i put mine in a couple of weeks ago (and my bushings are new and alignment proper) i posted that it was like a new car and the best money i had spent on improving the car. i still believe it.

you CANNOT nick reverse.

you know what gear you are in and can adjust your spring tension and or throw reduction.

there is a waiting list so get on it. then buy it. you won't regret it.

lapuwali
If you have a short shift kit, that's the cause of first being so hard to get into. This is doubly so if they did BOTH the Weltmeister short shift AND the stronger lockout springs that Weltmeister also sells. My car had these things on it, and I could barely pull it into first. The solution is to find a used shift lever off Ebay, EASY, et al, and discard the Welt stuff. This means longer throws, but it will be MUCH easier to move the lever around, esp. against the springs into 1st.

Side-shifter or tail-shifter? Makes a big difference.

If you're nicking reverse, your shifter is NOT adjusted properly. Even with a tailshifter, it's possible to adjust it so you don't touch reverse on a 1->2 shift. You need to set it up so while it's in 2nd, the shift lever is just BARELY kissing the sprung lockout plate. If you have it too far to the left, you'll likely touch reverse even with a Rennshift.

If you're using a side-shifter, have you checked the bronze bushing at the base of the shift lever? This one is commonly forgotten, and if it's not replaced, shifting will be bad.
xitspd
smilie_pokal.gif Rennshift is an excellent shifter! I have bought two and plan on buying many more. Rennshift is the shifter I am using in my 3.6 project. James is a pro and does exactly what he says he will do. 5 STARS!
1970 Factory 914-6, 3.6 964 Engine, 50MM PMO Webers, Electromotive Twin Plug Crank Fire, Aase RSR Valve Springs with Titanium Retainers, WEB Euro Spec Grind Camshafts, PatrickMotorsports 1 3/4" Jet Coated Racing Headers with PatrickMotorsports Silencers, 901 Converted Side Shift Transmission with Factory 904 Main Shaft and A,E,J,Q,X Short Gears, Billet Aluminum Intermediate Plate, 225MM PatrickMotorsports Racing Clutch, PatrickMotorsports RSR Billet Aluminum Flywheel, Quaiffe LSD and Billet Side Plate, PatrickMotorsports Solid Transmission Mounts, Tilton Transmission Pump System with HD Fluidyne Oil Cooler, B&B 930 Front Mounted Engine Oil Cooler with Thermostat, 911SC Front Suspension with Aluminum Cross Brace, Porsche Twin Turbo Brakes and Rotors Front and Rear, Pagid Racing Pads, 23MM Gun Drilled Front Torsion Bars, 930 Turbo Tie Rods, Charley Front Sway Bar, Porsche Factory Rear Sway Bar, RSR Threaded Front Bilstein Struts and Sport Valved Shocks, Eibach 275lb Rear Coilovers, Racers Group Adjustable Monoball Upper Strut Mounts, Poly-Graphite Suspension Bushings, 19MM Master Cylinder, 17 X 8 & 17 X 9 1/2 Kinesis Polished 3 Pc. Wheels, 914-6GT Chassis Stiffening Kit, 914-6GT Boxed Rear Suspension, RennShift Performance Shifter with Steve's Custom Fab Linkage, Full Chrome-Moly through the Bulkhead Cage, Porsche Factory GT Flares Butt Welded, 5Five5 Composite Front and Rear Hoods and Bumpers. Terazoom Quick Release Steering Hub. MOMO Prototipo Wheel, MOMO Competizione Shift Knob, MOMO Composite Racing Seats, SPA Fire Suppression System, Patrick Motorsports 914 Tank Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Martin Baker Vintage GT Gas Cap, Boman Graphics, Steve Aven Crew Chief (714)-634-1234...
brokenmoped
It's a '74 side-shifter with around 150k miles on it.

Also, I rarely nick reverse, but it happens sometimes and I would like to eliminate that lovely grinding sensation.
john rogers
I've had one for a while and it is fantastic. I have new bushing yearly, one of the sealed aircraft couplers in place of the factory cast aluminum one, home made rear trans bushing with no free play. At the races in Mexico I can shift into 1st gear at the 25 MPH U-turns and there is no grinding, while many of the "oriental" cars can't do that! I would have to rate it as one of the best things I bought for the race car, so I'd say get it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.