Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arizona smog program info please! NPC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
Howdy! The Cap'n needs some factual information on getting a Vanagon through the AZ smog test program. It's a 90 Syncro, and it's moving to Sun City in the Phoenix area. Runs clean as can be, but it's a Jetta engine conversion and won't fly in CA because of equipment issues.
MarkV
Equipment issues ?

I believe they look for the equipment that came on it. They look for a converter, air pump, fuel fill restrictor....

They also check CO & HC. The limits were posted here a few weeks ago. They must pass smog back to 1968.
TravisNeff
They will check for NOX as well.
MarkV

Cap'n Krusty
Let me clarify: I have NO problem with the numbers! This car has a cat, an O2 sensor, motronic FI, and runs really clean. I need to know what the process is. Do they check for a MIL? There is no provision for it in the ECU, and 90 Vanagon syncros didn't have the little O2 sensor light on the dash, so I can't fake it. The Cap'n
lapuwali
AZ is the only other state besides CA to do a "visual" check of equipment, so if it won't pass the visual in CA, it probably won't pass the visual in AZ, either. They use the Federal per-year limits, not CA's tighter limits. They check back to 1968 because that's how far back the Federal limits go. There are no Federal limits for 1967 or older cars.

I have no idea if AZ has a referee system like CA does to bless engine swaps. I also don't know if they have variable rules depending on where you live, as many states do, though I'd suspect the rules around Phoenix would be pretty tight.

Full online info on:

AZ emissions
914GT
Only the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas require emissions test, all other areas are exempt unless you job commute from outside into the metro area. Engine swaps are fine, I have done two with a third soon to go to emissions. We did an '88 Chevy truck from FI V6 to 4 BBL carbureted 350 V8. On later models all they check for are presence of catalytic converter, O2 sensors, PCV valve, smog pump, and fuel filler restrictor. The pump must show it to be connected to the exhaust manifold and a vacuum line to the carb (or engine controls). A decent condition engine properly tuned will easily meet the standards even with a non-functioning converter (hollowed-out) and dummy smog pump.
MarkV
Haven't had anything 1990 for a while, if I recall there inspection doesn't amount to much. They look under the hood for air pump and connections, they look at the gas cap & they use a mirror to look for a converter.

They seem to do the same check on my 73 914. They look in the engine compartment. They look at the gas cap to make sure it has a seal, they don't test it. They look under it with a mirror. It passes the visual and it has DRLA 40's on it.

You can get a one year waiver for missing emission controls. They do have a referee station.

Newer cars are exemot for the first three years. On the fourth year they don't sniff the tail pipe, they plug in to the data port.

gregrobbins
Cap'n: Took a 1.7L through emissions today. Mostly young people working there. They checked the VIN and looked at the gas cap. They never even asked me to open the engine lid. If they did, I am sure they would have no idea what they were looking at or what to look for. All they really care about is the emisssion numbers. The vehicle should be fine.

Oh, I failed: car is at the shop to get leaned out and the idle cranked up to 1500 RPMs or so and I will do it again tomorrow. mad.gif
914GT
You lucked out Greg. I took our old 87 Acura in last week and they had 3 people studying the engine for a few minutes. Looking in there with a little flashlight. I was ready to raise hell if they said anything, because I knew that engine was completely stock and no mods. For the second year in a row it measured 0 on CO.
jasons
QUOTE (914GT @ Aug 31 2005, 08:01 PM)
I took our old 87 Acura in last week and they had 3 people studying the engine for a few minutes. Looking in there with a little flashlight.

Sometimes when they do that, they are training newbies.
TravisNeff
Of the several times I have been to the emissions station for the 914 They have NEVER done any visual check besides the gas filler.
jasons
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Sep 1 2005, 07:41 AM)
Of the several times I have been to the emissions station for the 914 They have NEVER done any visual check besides the gas filler.

They should only do visuals on 75 or 76(can't remember exactly) and later.
TravisNeff
makes sense to me
914GT
They must be easier on you folks in Phoenix area. They do visual check on both my 74 914 V8 and my 68 Chevelle. Of course they seemed more amazed just looking how the V8 fit in the 914 and maybe weren't even looking at the emission controls. I'm not sure what they are looking for on my Chevelle unless it's just a PCV valve. Maybe they just like looking at old cars.
Flat VW
QUOTE (914GT @ Sep 1 2005, 08:05 AM)
They must be easier on you folks in Phoenix area.  They do visual check on both my 74 914 V8 and my 68 Chevelle. Of course they seemed more amazed just looking how the V8 fit in the 914 and maybe weren't even looking at the emission controls.  I'm not sure what they are looking for on my Chevelle unless it's just a PCV valve. Maybe they just like looking at old cars.

I get a kick out of smogging a 914 in Arizona, it's kinda fun watchin em'. clap.gif

First, they open the front trunk (looking for the motor) confused24.gif , then, they open the rear trunk (looking for the motor). confused24.gif

Then after calling over a supervisor (the kid with the least amount of acne on his face), they politely ask if I can show um' where the motor is located.... too funny.....

Capt'n, don't sweat it, it is ALL about the MONEY and, of course, the car has to "blow the correct numbers".

John

Flat VW
Oh, one more piece of advice, probably the most important piece.

Take it in for the test, mid-month, mid-week, and eight minutes before 5 P.M. when they close.

This will help ensure that you will receive the "quickest and briefest" visual inspection. w00t.gif

John

"The dead sure come alive at quittin time" mueba.gif
jasons
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Sep 1 2005, 08:36 AM)

"The dead sure come alive at quittin time" mueba.gif

Yeah, have you ever gone to Fry's Electronics 15 minutes before closing time? Lotsa helpful "associates" at that time. Rest of the day, they are all AWOL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.