Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RUST UPDATE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
Ok here is the update. I took the windshield out and here is what I found. I think it might be better then I thought it might be Any thoughts?

I tried to upload on previous post, but I couldn't .. Sorry...
TINCAN914
The above is of the passanger side bottom of the windshield. Sorry So big.
THe rust has not gone all the way through...
TINCAN914
Here is a better side view same section
TINCAN914
Ok last view for now the windshield channel. THere appears tobe surface rust, but nothing really appears to be rusted through. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. If you can see, there is a small pin hole or two.
Andyrew
Take a wire wheel to all of it, then a screwdriver.. find the week metal or the holes, cut it out and replace it with new metal...

Thats what I would do.

Looks doable
McMark
Can you take a picture father back?
TINCAN914
Sorry Mark trying to edit, but aparently I am incapable.. Try these.
TINCAN914
another
McMark
I know of a really nice 74 chassis that would be easier to restore than this one. It's original black and is pretty darn straight. Registration is current and you can get it for a song. It's up here in Nor-Cal, but it would be quicker, easier and cheaper to pick this one up and swap the parts over. Let me know if you want the contact info. It's an original black car. Not very common.
TINCAN914
Mark,

Stupid question, but you reallythink that this is in that bad of shape?
I thought after pulling the windshield out, I was in better shape then I thought.. Man your kilin my buzz... wacko.gif
THe people of the board know better then I do, that's why I posted it. I don't mind the work, probabely since I really don't have the experience.

Thnx
AndyC
In Cali its a parts car....... In the rest of the world its a minor setback on the way to restoration, I vote fix it! smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
it's fixable... (anything is biggrin.gif), but these locations are a PITA to access...

you say/think it's surface rust, but judging from your pics, I'd say it's not
it's prolly wafer thing and if you put your welder onto it, it'll burn nice big holes (BTDT rolleyes.gif )

IF you decide to fix it, fix it good, it'll save you a lot of headaches and regrets later on

how's the rest of the car? If the windscreen is that bad, I'm sure you'll find more nasty surpises

I'd take up Mark's offer in a heartbeat...
TINCAN914
Well the problem is I'm trying to keep from dumping more then I have to at one given time. Mark, how much do you figure it would cost, and insted of me driving up there, does anyone haev any idea's what we would be looking at to have it brought down here via truck / shipping company...
lapuwali
QUOTE (bmunday @ Sep 1 2005, 08:27 AM)
Well the problem is I'm trying to keep from dumping more then I have to at one given time. Mark, how much do you figure it would cost, and insted of me driving up there, does anyone haev any idea's what we would be looking at to have it brought down here via truck / shipping company...

Car transport from NoCal to SoCal runs $600-800 if you use a regular transport company. IMHO, before making any decision, I'd do a LOT of investigation on the chassis you have. I agree with Jeroen that if the windscreen frame is that bad, that the rest of the car is likely to be pretty bad, too. Pull up the seals in the front trunk and look under them. Remove all of the carpeting and the backpad and look below the rear window and the floors. Use an awl or a Philips screwdriver and really jab everywhere you see "surface rust", and make sure it's not solid-looking but flimsy. If the top surface is flaky, that section needs to be replaced.

If there are other sections of the car that are as bad, then I'd part that chassis and use another tub.
McMark
Well, if you brought that car into my shop, you'd be looking at a $1000-$1500 repair. Time to replace the chassis in my book, since we have such nice ones available here in CA. I think in the long run, you'd be better off to pick up a nice clean chassis. The one that I know of needs a new front trunk floor (A/C Car) but that's a hell of a lot easier of a job than what you're looking at. A trunk floor isn't important, but if you weld your windshield in wrong... wacko.gif What you've got isn't a deal breaker, but what you don't want is to keep finding surprise after surprise. Spend a few good long hours with the car and really find out all its secrets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.