Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just How Screwed Am I
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnmhudson111
I have, at great effort on my part, removed all the threads on the passenger side strut. Can I get a nice rethreader (is that a word?) kit and fix it up or do I get to buy a new set of struts. These are Bilstein struts off a '77 911. I have been told that they are not rebuildable but one seems to have a wide collar and the other has a thin silver top.
Help! headbang.gif
Were is the xanax.......
cooltimes
It's called a thread die. I have no idea why you removed the ones on there unless you stripped all with the nut trying to remove it. A handy device for all tool boxes, large or small, is a nut splitter in the event that is what happened. Anything is worth trying. You can try to rethread the threads but try to get it started as straight as possible and use plenty of threading oil to keep the shavings out of the die as they will likely gum up the die and make your job fail having 100% good threads.
Jeroen
which threads did you mess up?
can ya post any pics?
TimT
Bilstiens are certainly rebuildable.

If they are from a 77 911, look near the bottom of the strut, behind the stub axle, and you will see a roll pin. drive out this pin with a drift, and send the inserts back to Bilstien in Cali. They charge about $55/ per to refresh a strut

the threads may be shot though, and you may need a new set of inserts

Sammy
New Bilstein HD struts are around $100 last time I checked at shox.com
Might be worth it just to replace it, might not.
Wild 6
Just had a rebuild done at Bilstein in San Diego (Poway, CA). It's $65/Shock. Much better than new. They will tune the shock for the cars weight, springs, torsion bars and preferring driving style. Go to www.bilstein.com and select services from the menu.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (TimT @ Sep 1 2005, 10:55 AM)
Bilstiens are certainly rebuildable.

If they are from a 77 911, look near the bottom of the strut, behind the stub axle, and you will see a roll pin. drive out this pin with a drift, and send the inserts back to Bilstien in Cali. They charge about $55/ per to refresh a strut

the threads may be shot though, and you may need a new set of inserts

I will take a look at them today, I got my other two tires so I will be taking the fromts to get mounted today, not to mention bleeding the brakes, etc.

I assume that you have to replace the bilstien insert with a new bilstien one, I have not seen a "replacement" listed....
johnmhudson111
For the short term I have rethreaded the strut to SAE 1/2" size until I get new struts.

Now I have to figure out the fender rolling thing, and the brake bleeding biggrin.gif unsure.gif headbang.gif mad.gif laugh.gif smash.gif beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.