Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squealing Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Took my car out yesterday and actually drove it to the office and to run some errands. After about 4 or 5 miles I started to get a high pitched squeal from the left rear brake when I applied moderate pressure and it goes away if I press harder or let off. I'm sure that there is still some air in the system and am wondering if that can cause it.

I'm going to re-bleed the brakes this weekend.
ArtechnikA
Can trapped air cause it?

no.

probably just a glazed pad.
when you're comfortable with their performance overall, do a series of relatively firm stops from ~60->20. you need to work the brakes to wear off/through the glaze. they should be hot but you should not work them to failure. then see if that helps.

if not, check to make sure that all the brake hardware is in place and working, especially the spreader spring.

what lind of pads ?
URY914
The squeal comes from the pads vibrating on the rotor or against the piston, not from air in the system.

Allan
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Sep 1 2005, 06:50 AM)
what lind of pads ?

PBC semi-mettalic with new /6 rotors.

I was wondering if that if there was air in the caliper it might keep the pad from getting enough pressure against the rotor allowing it to vibrate.

I have been doing quite a few 40 - 10 mph brake runs to try and get everything to bed in. Maybe it just needs a few more...
Eric_Shea
Maybe it just needs a few more...

That'd be my guess...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.