Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Smokies last Ha Rah
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I removed Old Smokie today. It never really let me down but, it was getting tired so I dropped today to make room a 2270 my son and I put together from 1 of Jake's kits.

Last weekend it ran like a top up to Whistler on about a quart and a half of oil. The smoke came in handy one time when a Cayenne ran up my butt on a straight. I just let off the throttle and puffed a bunch of smoke. No more problem with that guy.

It's last service to me was to act as a trial horse for a way to start the new engine out of the car. It started right up with a little puff and idled nice and smooth. 167,000 miles in the car with 1 rebuild at 103,000. Since it's the engine that came with the car I'll keep it and maybe rebuild it later. Here it is just before we shut it down for the last time. Rest in Peace Smokie.

Dave

pete-stevers
Congrats on the new motor! boldblue.gif I had better get my but in gear and get my done too....or else I'll be at the back of the pack..... ohmy.gif
all the best
steve
TravisNeff
Giddyup! burnout.gif
rhodyguy
vroom, vroom dave!!! you got lots of driving out of that engine. taking it out before it blows up. different approach biggrin.gif . sat or sun? i'll let gerry take me out for a drive after it's broken in. wink.gif happy11.gif

k
DNHunt
How fast we forget our heros. Old smokie meets the same fate as chicken manure.

Dave
Jake Raby
Dave,
Glad to see the real engine is going in soon!

Don't forget to call me before its time to fire it up again.... Gotta go through that check list!
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Sep 5 2005, 06:48 PM)
How fast we forget our heros. Old smokie meets the same fate as chicken manure.

Dave

The tailgating cayenne reminded me of an old friend back in the early 60s that had an old 53 Chevy. When someone followed too close he would turn off the ignition for a sec then turn it back on. The resultant back fire was so loud it scared the crap out of whoever was back there. Maybe you shouldn't try that in the 914 though.
Cheers, Elliot
Britain Smith
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Sep 5 2005, 07:03 PM)
Dave,
Glad to see the real engine is going in soon!

Don't forget to call me before its time to fire it up again.... Gotta go through that check list!

Hey Jake, anu chance you could give us some of that checklist? I have to fire mine up soon also and I wanted to get your suggestions.

-Britain
DNHunt
Jake

It's a done deal.

Checklist:

1) Kick it in the ass.

2) Light it off.

Dave beerchug.gif
DNHunt
Actually

1) I used a pump to charge the oil system to 25 psi

2) Checked the oil level

3) Checked all the electrical

4) Cranked it over with the starter without plugs in

5) Primed the fuel system by running the fuel pump

6) Started it and took it to 2200 rpm for 20 min.

7) Changed oil, filter, and screen

8) Fixed leak at oil pump

9) Checked valves (spot on)

10) Inspected oil and filter (no metal)

11) Restarted and started tuning

Dave
rhodyguy
did you do the bag of ice trick?

k
DNHunt
Kevin

The laptop (laptop is getting hot and crapping out) ran fine for the 15 min I had it going the second time. So, I tuned the idle and a little bit off idle.

Exhaust O2 is much more steady with this engine. I suspect it is because of the injectors being a little closer to the right size. Pulse widths at idle are 1.9 / 2.0 ms compared to 1.5 / 1.6 ms with the 2.0 liter. The idle air screw is wide open with the 2270 and it was full closed with the 2.0 l. Vacuum signal at idle is lower (sorry Sammy) 60 kpa for the 2270 and 35 kpa for the 2.0. Atmospheric pressure is 97 kpa here. Standing in the exhaust is not a good idea cause it moves a bunch of air.

Dave
rhodyguy
is gerry making plans to rebuild smokie for a super beetle transplant yet?

k
DNHunt
Quiet Kevin
rhodyguy
i'm already looking dry.gif . i've seen a pretty clean orange one on s 72nd st that's been sitting awhile ohmy.gif . i'll take the camera with me today when i go to the machine shop.

k
DNHunt
Kevin

You're gonna get me in a Sh#tload of trouble. I have to get this project done and go back to being a regular person (doing yardwork and such).

Dave
sixnotfour
74 and later have better front suspension, the metalic blue ones have rack and pinion steering(Sun Bug) I have 2 -73 sport bug wheels.(steel ,reversed stock, wide track look)
And a truck load of T-4 motors

New motor smilie_pokal.gif
Britain Smith
Thanks for the start-up list Dave.

You know, I am moving to Portland at the end of this month. When I get closer to firing my engine up, I might enlist your expertise and solict your help.

-Britain
DNHunt
Britain

Jake added one more thing for me. Don't run it too rich. Last time I diluted the oil.

Dave
Britain Smith
Yea, I was actually planning on starting it up for the first time on Carbs. Then I will switch over to the EFI.

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.