Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Gotta get the Scirocco running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Some of you asked about the S1 pictured here. It's been on the back burner for a while, but I started working on getting it running this week.

I picked it up last year from a guy who had installed a 16V engine from an '86, but was in way over his head electrically. I spent about a month rewiring the front of the car and sourcing correct boxes and sensors before I put it on the back burner to finish the RS.

It hasn't been in service for over 10 years. I had to replace the gas tank, but it will now start and idle (roughly). I know the CIS-E system, but it's been a while. I did a differential pressure test on the distributor and got a control pressure that was HIGHER than system pressure. Logically, this shouldn't be possible.

Any CIS-E gurus here?
pete-stevers
I have a bunch of mrk1 stuff in the shop but the cis is out of a 8v motor....If the tank is rusty you are looking at big problems with the distributor as the filter may not take all the particulates out, or the plunger on the distributor may stick from rusting, depending on the moisture content of the fuel. I was ready to split the tank and get it re-coated and redo the fuel system before i decided to split with that rocco and got a second generation 16v.
steve
rick 918-S
Explain the test please. Could it be the accumulator? BTW, I've seen that car... wub.gif
Series9
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Sep 1 2005, 09:13 PM)
Explain the test please. Could it be the accumulator? BTW, I've seen that car... wub.gif

Test measures the differential pressure between the upper and lower chambers of the fuel distributor. You can perform the same test on your engine, but your control (differential) pressure is controlled mechanically where CIS-E cars have electronic control.

Differential pressure should be 3 to 7psi LOWER than system pressure. I'm thinking this fuel distributor has simply been out of service for way too long.
ejm
Need a better idea of which CIS-E system you're working with. Does it have a frequency valve or a differential pressure regulator? Do you have the gauge hooked up with the valve on the correct side of the loop?
porschenut
Check your hose routings. I had all sorts of problems with a 924 until I discovered the cold start injector and regulator hoses were reversed. The hoses were bundled together so I figured they were properly hooked up. After modifying the warm up regulator and seeing no change in pressure I figured it out.
Series9
QUOTE (ejm @ Sep 2 2005, 03:44 AM)
Need a better idea of which CIS-E system you're working with. Does it have a frequency valve or a differential pressure regulator? Do you have the gauge hooked up with the valve on the correct side of the loop?

Differential pressure regulator. The valve is on the correct side.

For this test, the pressure gauge is connected to the bottom chamber and you disconnect the DPR and note the pressure drop (but in this case, it actually rises 4psi).
brer
those are great cars. I had two back in the 80's.
gotta love the Italian styling.
TROJANMAN
my first car in high school.
lots of memories wub.gif
Series9
I should have known better than to assume the last guy didn't get his hands in the ignition timing. My timing light broke a few months ago, so I hadn't done any checking.

This morning, I loosened the distributor and started screwing around. It's still coughing after ten years of sleep, but it's getting close. It idles almost normally and revs in an almost drivable manner.

There are a number of things to complete before I can run it down the street, but I'm now expecting the Roc to exit the back yard for normal service within a few weeks.
TravisNeff
Glad to see you moving forward on the Roc, share s'mo pictures when you get a chance! I had a 16v sciricco, which was my first new car - I loved it. Can't help with the CIS-E, my car was new and never had any problems while I owned it.
Series9
Things are going pretty well today. The thing about this S1 is that it's been converted to a 16V S2 engine.

The PO was in way over his head and I'm trying to sort out his mess without being able to see either the car or the engine in their original configurations.

Today, I would REALLY love to see some detailed pictures of a 16V cooling system in its normal home.
Jaiden
Go to vwvortex.com Hit the rocco section of the forums. My buddy has a 16v gen 2 that he's been slowly working on and always gets good advice there.

They have photos schematics the whole nine yards!

Series9
A big moment in the life of any car that hasn't moved under it's own power in ten years.

I drove the car 15 feet! It doesn't have a drop of water in it, so I'm not running it for more than about 45 seconds at a time.
Series9
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Sep 2 2005, 12:57 PM)
Go to vwvortex.com Hit the rocco section of the forums. My buddy has a 16v gen 2 that he's been slowly working on and always gets good advice there.

They have photos schematics the whole nine yards!

Good advice. I put a post up and was already greeted by a guy who saw this thread earlier today.

Nice.
Qarl
I had an '88 16v (2.0L motor). Awesome car!

Gint
It's even yellow!
Series9
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 2 2005, 05:56 PM)
It's even yellow!

That's the reason I got it......from Denver.... cool.gif
Series9
Not too much love at the VW Vortex site. It's huge, but it seems like there's a lot of fighting and a bunch of youngin's who think they know it all.

I've found pictures of quite a few S1s w/16V PL engines, but nobody really wants to help. That's OK, it's not like I can't figure it out.

Do you know that they have to upload pictures to a private web space and link to the picture's address to post pics in a thread? I thought that was crazy. They didn't seem to like that I thought that was crazy.

Makin' friends........ unsure.gif
cooltimes
Here's a pix of my 80 S that I bought new in 1980. $14,750. Traded in my 74 911S and never looked back.
That 80 Sciricco S was the best driving German car I ever owned. White with early ground effect, black strip with red highlight. Recarro (sic) seats were burnt orange and fit like a glove.

http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/scirr.jpg

Good to see you got one.

Mike Cooley
Memphis
Series9
It runs! And not just barely like before. Persistence pays. After much work, research and rewiring, the Scirocco is fully alive.

When I got it to operating temp for the first time, a 10-year-old 16V-only hose exploded rather dramatically. Luckie stopped to pick up a new one for me.

I'll be doing burn outs in the 'hood within the hour. burnout.gif
Gint
Yay!

Drive it to RRC. Along with 914RS of course. You got plenty of drivers comin right?

I forgot... MORE PICS!
Series9
Sleeping after her first day out in ten years:
Series9
The engine. Say NOTHING about the Sharpie plugging an intake hole:
Series9
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 13 2005, 04:27 PM)
Yay!

Drive it to RRC. Along with 914RS of course. You got plenty of drivers comin right?

I forgot... MORE PICS!

RRC is a little close for this girl. Like I said, I blew a hose on the first warm-up. It's fixed now, but I don't intend to leave the 'hood until I feel much more comfortable.

She still has no gauges, no carpet, virtually no interior, one tire that won't stay inflated, brakes that need serious servicing and a shifter that refuses to find all the gears.

However, I did accomplish a 50' burn out in front of the house. I tried to get a picture of the tire marks just now, but the pictures won't come out in the dark.
Series9
New dash came out well:

user posted image

But not before I cut the wrong size hole for one of the gauges and had to weld it up and start again:

user posted image
TravisNeff
Looks great, you afraid of having speedos in your cars? lol
Series9
We don't need no stinkin' speedos....
Series9
17" wheels make a big difference. Now it needs to be 2" lower.

user posted image

The donor car in the background with its new boring wheels.

user posted image
Aaron Cox
nice....
jd74914
Joe, have you ever done a rear disc brake conversion on one of these things? How hard is it because my buddy was wondering if its worth the work, and noone we've seen has done it themselves.

Nice rims BTW
cool.gif
Series9
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Oct 3 2005, 07:30 PM)
Joe, have you ever done a rear disc brake conversion on one of these things? How hard is it because my buddy was wondering if its worth the work, and noone we've seen has done it themselves.

Nice rims BTW
cool.gif

I didn't actually do this one either, but I understand it's very easy. If you want to pick up the entire rear beam from a 16V, the swap takes no time at all.
jd74914
Sweet.
TravisNeff
Gahroovey~! wink.gif
Series9
Interior coming along:
Series9
Last:
smac
I had a 1975 Scirocco in High School 23 years ago! That car was crap! It was a carbureted, automatic, vaper locking nightmare. But it was the first model year in America. I wish I had bought a later model with EFI like yours. aktion035.gif Oddly enough, you don't see them on the road ever. unsure.gif But, yours looks like sweet project!
Series9
Don't worry. Cis-e and computers make it right.
Mr.C
I remember as a kid with my dad racing a lowered caged Scirocco in the 911 on the 166 out of Bakersfield. That is one of the best dad memories that I have.
Dad was driving like a maniac trying to lose this guy. We would pull him on the straights, but he would quickly catch us in the corners. We finally let him pass after sailing sideways hitting the paint in the middle of the road. Dad said it wasn't worth his boys life to win a race! laugh.gif
Every since then I have always wanted a Scirocco. wink.gif
cbass
Nice looking car! That 16v have minislip?

Best thing you can do is to junk the CIS and convert to Megasquirt. VEMS is preferrable but more expensive... You can get 2.0 Digi 16v injector holders and they will screw in, if I recall correctly. Also, you would be very surprised at just how cost effective you can make a megasquirt conversion. I managed to put together a 52mm throttle body with a GM TPS, 6 injectors, coolant and air temp sensors for $20 from a local scrap metal yard.

Tuning is easy as sin, and you can keep your motronic with knock control as well. The 1.8's have CIS-E with motronic too, don't they?
Series9
After 5-weeks' shipping from Germany, the coilover suspension finally arrived. It goes on the road on Wednesday:

user posted image
Tom Perso
I second the MegaSquirt conversion.

Add the MSnE code for crank fire and impress ALL of your friends. smile.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

Tom
xitspd
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 11 2005, 07:25 PM)
After 5-weeks' shipping from Germany, the coilover suspension finally arrived. It goes on the road on Wednesday:

user posted image

ohmy.gif Joe,
What brand of shocks and springs? They look sweet..........
nomore9one4
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Sep 2 2005, 08:01 AM)
my first car in high school.
lots of memories wub.gif

My buddy in high school got a brand new 86' for a graduation present. He flipped it end over end before the last day of school. It was dead with less than 500 miles on it! sad.gif What a sad day that was and even sadder thinking back how long ago that was.. sad.gif
Series9
QUOTE (xitspd @ Nov 12 2005, 08:31 AM)

What brand of shocks and springs? They look sweet..........

FK. They're German.
pete-stevers
hey ...lets see some more pics....are you putting 10.1 brakes on or are you going to 11s... how bout the sway bars....big nuespeeds perhaps? biggrin.gif
Series9
On the new suspension. Very low:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.