Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The neo914-6 Concept
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
neo914-6
neo914 purpose: An exercise in creative design, to promote the enthusiasm for the 914 and introduce new ideas, designs, and components not previously installed on a 914…

"neo" translates to "New" in German thus "neo914-6"

What would a 914-6 look like today? Imagine the character of the 914 we all “grew” to love retained in a modern version…

Design sketched 8/05:
Click to view attachment

Car shown at SEMA 11/06:
Click to view attachment

Original 914 design:
Click to view attachment

Guests, please create a membership and log in to view the signature links and post comments if you like. Click the links (over 70) to detailed threads
welcome.png smile.gif
neo914-6
Let’s start with a great race prepared 914, with track success… smilie_pokal.gif
Bill’s and Doris’ car

Click to view attachment
neo914-6
Add metal hand shaped flares by Metalshaper John Kelly and 18" diameter wheels.
See more details of John's work

Click to view attachment
neo914-6
Drivetrain candidates were: Audis, 996 w/G50, and even New BMW/Mini. I already did a domestic V8 conversion and it truly wouldn't fit this theme. Had my bid for a Cayenne V8 twin turbo motor been high enough, it would have had a great “cool” factor ala Rick Ollah's 928 "alien"! It would have also added at least a year in making it and the 4WD work...

I decided to maintain plausible factory constraints: Use Porsche / Audi / VW drive train parts as in the Cayenne's example:
"The first V6 in any Porsche model"
While the engine block is sourced from Volkswagen, which is Porsche’s partner in the construction of the 2004 Cayenne’s unit-body chassis, the 15-degree, 3.2-liter V6 engine has been extensively reworked by Porsche engineers. They designed an entirely new intake system for the engine, with two overhead camshafts and continuously variable intake valve timing. They also reworked the exhaust system to provide the sound that immediately identifies the Cayenne as a true Porsche."

If this engine becomes "affordable" I'll see if it fits in the Neo914-6. rolleyes.gif

Why not the Boxster or 996 engines? A local member and friend is doing a Boxster conversion with new rear suspension which requires fabrication beyond my abilities and schedule. He virtually cut out the whole rear trunk and suspension to make it fit. I was very close to chosing the Audi 1.8 turbo but another local club member, Sonu had already installed one. I chose the Audi 2.7L V6 twin turbo which directly bolts to the Boxster transaxle

Click to view attachment

Is this a Ship of Theseus?
neo914-6
This is what I chose to replace the classic Fuchs:
Techno 996 Wheels, they have lines similar to the unique 914 targa. In fact I will reform the targa trim to match a bit more…As much as I love the Boxster and Turbo twists, I think the "softness" of the wheel wasn't appropriate to this design.

Tech: 18" SportTechno One-piece alloy wheel featuring powerful yet lightweight hollow-spoke design technology giving a weight reduction of 25 % over conventional wheels. Hollow aluminum alloy spokes are inseparably fused to the rim using a patented friction welding process. Employs new surface treatment technology for even better looking wheels.
neo914-6
C U R R E N T S P E C I F I C A T I O N S:
Audi 2.7L V6 twin turbo engine, intercoolers, and ECU
Boxster 5 speed transaxle and B&M short shifter
Turbo and 911 axles, ? CV's
Braille Battery
993 pedal cluster with integral hydraulic cylinder
Moved steering column to align with seat and dash
18"x8" 996 SportTechno wheels
Pirelli Asymetrico tires 225/40 ZR 18
911 Front Struts / Konis / Vented Discs (5 lug)
Boxster brake calipers
27mm Front Adjustable Smart Racing Anti-Roll Bar
23mm Front Torsion Bars
Shine needle bearings
914 Rear Vented Discs (5 lug)
Rebuilt and powdercoated trailing arms by Roaster fan (Jim)
Rear MSDS ebrake (debut at the SEMA) pending
Mueller needle bearing, PMB v-caliper, stock pads
18"x11" 996 SportTechno wheels
Pirelli Asymetrico tires 295/30 ZR 18
Rear Bilstein Struts/ Shocks
Adjustable rear spring perches
15mm Stock Anti-Roll Bar Rear
350lb/sqin Eibach Rear Coil Springs
911 19mm Master Cylinder
Cockpit Adjustable Brake Bias Valve
986/996 dual radiators assemblies
Audi instrument panel
Power steering - planned
Audi climate control
scotty b
smilie_pokal.gif Me likes sketch! Now, how do I get rid of you and take over???
neo914-6
QUOTE (scotty b @ Sep 3 2005, 04:21 AM)
smilie_pokal.gif Me likes sketch! Now, how do I get rid of you and take over???

I revealed 90% of the details so go for it! biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Wowsers!!! Simply amazing.

I love the design, everything flows well.

I must say I love the rocker pannels. Do you plan on building them yourself? That design is awesome and I'd love to be able to make some for myself.

BTW.
Tomorrow im dedicating the day to your flares. I should get the pass side done, and depending on how I like the drivers side, possibly that one as well.

Andrew
Brent
Felix,

It looks as if the front bumper is a cross between a 916 and early GT style chrome one. Is this your insperation? Looks great.
-B
neo914-6
QUOTE (Brent @ Sep 3 2005, 11:10 AM)
Felix,

It looks as if the front bumper is a cross between a 916 and early GT style chrome one. Is this your insperation? Looks great.
-B

Brent, the intent is:
-allow for some form development that continues from the hood and fenders
-eliminate the rubber top dictated by the 70's DOT or TUV regs. Did they really think it would soften the harm to a person's limbs?
-retain some metal chrome finish so it is not just another plastic cap and give a sense of strength and retro-styling
-give some importance to the radiator intakes "bezel"
-retain the stock valance, I like the torsion bar "bumps"
-continue with a radius on the bottom edge of the car with the rockers to give more curvature to the body, an air dam or side skirts would have eliminated this.

IMHO

Happy bday "Seve"! just dropped my daughter off at a bday... birthday.gif
TravisNeff
Felix, the design in your drawing looks great, looks powerful and purposeful! Just plain bad ass!
neo914-6
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Sep 3 2005, 10:42 AM)
Wowsers!!! Simply amazing.

I love the design, everything flows well.

I must say I love the rocker pannels. Do you plan on building them yourself? That design is awesome and I'd love to be able to make some for myself.

BTW.
Tomorrow im dedicating the day to your flares.  I should get the pass side done, and depending on how I like the drivers side, possibly that one as well.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew I'm looking forward to them, Sept 24 is coming fast...

The radius will be done by a sheet metal HVAC shop, the transitions to the flares will be a challenge. I will mock it up in urethane and probably take it to a metalshaper. I also need to position the intercoolers to see if they will get enough airflow.

The rear features will be trick too, stay tuned...
goose2
great stuff Felix...keep it coming please beer.gif
jonwatts
Kewl stuff.

Hey speaking of fenders, I still have one for you from McMark. Need it anytime soon?

Jon
campbellcj
WOW, what a project! I will follow it closely as I've got the S4 with the 2.7T and can't wait to see/hear what that is like in a 914.

One technicality on your parts list though - you won't be able to use the "S" calipers with the 911T struts. Actually if it were me, I'd probably go to bigger brakes like 930 or Boxster monoblocks or something. If you chip the ECU the car will be a torque monster and stopping ability=good.

Keep us posted as the thoughts flow! pray.gif
Brent
Felix, very sweet. The front bumper looks like it will be amazing! As well as the rest of the car. You are our Foose buddy...keep it going!

(ps. Waiting for the Avatar to change with Seve's pic in it. Will keep his pic there for this month. He said thanks for the Bday wishes. We just got back from the Jungle in Saratoga. He is always over my shoulder reading the forum with me.)
-B
neo914-6
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 3 2005, 05:59 PM) *

WOW, what a project! I will follow it closely as I've got the S4 with the 2.7T and can't wait to see/hear what that is like in a 914.

One technicality on your parts list though - you won't be able to use the "S" calipers with the 911T struts. Actually if it were me, I'd probably go to bigger brakes like 930 or Boxster monoblocks or something. If you chip the ECU the car will be a torque monster and stopping ability=good.

Keep us posted as the thoughts flow! pray.gif

I believe they are currently 911, are the s-calipers spaced differently? Brake choices are still open but I have this nice set of rebuilt s-calipers...

Stock ECU will do for now but when it gets to that purchase point I will consider stand-alone engine management.

Thanks!
campbellcj
The 911T struts have 3" caliper bolt spacing (same as the 914) and the S calipers have 3.5" mounting hole spacing. If you can find struts from a '69 911S (or an E with the S front-end) thru an '89 Carrera those would fit the S calipers.
yahthatsright
How much $ might it cost to have flares like your done?
neo914-6
If you were to do the work it would be minimal. You could buy John Kelly's DVD @ www.ghiaspecialties.com, a small investment in metal working tools, alot of time, and noise tolerant neighbors. This is for modifying the existing fenders.

Or you can find a automotive metalshaper and get quotes to roll and form new metal. I don't know of any standard to rates and how much time it will take for each metalshaper to do custom work. I believe John spent over 100 hours work within ~5 months.
neo914-6
Project schedule:

Many of the sub-projects run in parallel but these are target dates:

Nov 05 - lights mounting, refit rear flares, weld and widen front flares, mod front hood, mount pedal cluster & GT3 seat @ Original Customs
Dec 05 - engine, trans, & shifter mounted @ TC Design
Jan 05 - exhaust, instruments & climate control system
Feb 06 - mount radiators, plumbing, single arm wiper
Mar 06 - single piece windows, interior @?
April 06 - mold bumpers and fabricate rockers
May 06 - HID headlights, shorten tail lights, retractible spoiler
June 06 - disassemble, suspension
July 06 - final body prep, paint @ Altissimo
Aug 06 - re-assembly, shake down
Sept 06 - details, cosmetics
Oct 06 - marketing
Nov 06 - SEMA
jonwatts
Now multiply that by two.

wink.gif
neo914-6
It has a date next Nov so it WILL be done. Mark is finishing up much of the metal work this month and then it's off to Tony's. He needs an excuse to shove your car out in the rain laugh.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 10 2005, 11:35 PM)
He needs an excuse to shove your car out in the rain laugh.gif

Apparently yes.

I shouldn't give you a hard time for planning, planning is good. It's hard, and imperfect, but necessary.

neo914-6
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Nov 10 2005, 11:38 PM)

I shouldn't give you a hard time for planning, planning is good. It's hard, and imperfect, but necessary.

It's cliche but so true: If you fail to plan then you plan to fail...

I went to the DMV to get my personalized plates activated and transfer registration so the DMV lady tells me it was never applied for non-operation, oh and by the way it also needs smog certification. Thanks alot Bill! mad.gif

I tell her it's an exempt 1974! She says "oh, you're right." 5 minutes later she prints out and gives me the registration as if it were a running car. Thanks alot Bill! biggrin.gif

"All" I need now is to get her running... rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
neo914-6
Nice progress, thanks MarkD... clap.gif
sj914
Felix,
Lookin good.
nine14cats
Felix, your welcome!.... wink.gif

I shoulda never sold that car.... burnout.gif

Bill P.
marks914
Heres an early concept sketch for my car...
Maybe I will do some at lunch tomorrow

Mark
marks914
heres a quickie...
McMark
I like that one. drooley.gif
goose2
clap.gif
Gint
Now that's talent!
degreeoff
I would love to know the budget for this project. Hell I am starring 12k in the face for a six with FG parts and paint (all done by yours truly).

Also where did you aquire the HID's

lastly SWEET design ( the 1st sketch )

Josh

Keep em running........
neo914-6
QUOTE (degreeoff @ Nov 26 2005, 05:11 PM)
I would love to know the budget for this project. Hell I am starring 12k in the face for a six with FG parts and paint (all done by yours truly).

Also where did you aquire the HID's

lastly SWEET design ( the 1st sketch )

Josh

Keep em running........

All I can say is my daughter better get a full scholarship when the time comes. laugh.gif

The HID's are Hella DEs, many sources

Thanks, I will have more sketches soon...
jonwatts
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 19 2005, 09:33 PM)
I tell her it's an exempt 1974!  She says "oh, you're right."  5 minutes later she prints out and gives me the registration as if it were a running car.  Thanks alot Bill!  :D    

Ima confused. Did you have to pay the back-registration because it was never non-oped? Or did you skate around that because of the smog exemption? (one isn't related to the other)

marks914, how'd you do your sketches? Airbrush? Software? I can't tell. Either way... smiley_notworthy.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Nov 26 2005, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Nov 19 2005, 09:33 PM)
I tell her it's an exempt 1974!  She says "oh, you're right."  5 minutes later she prints out and gives me the registration as if it were a running car.  Thanks alot Bill!  :D    

Ima confused. Did you have to pay the back-registration because it was never non-oped? Or did you skate around that because of the smog exemption? (one isn't related to the other)

marks914, how'd you do your sketches? Airbrush? Software? I can't tell. Either way... smiley_notworthy.gif

Jon,

Initially she wouldn't give me registration until I produced a smog cert which was incorrect. Not having it non-op status turned out to be a blessing. Having current registration takes a burden off my shoulders... wink.gif

Mark's technique:

I mostly use a pencil or a ballpoint pen to do a line sketch.  Then I will scan it into photoshop or studio paint.  I rarely use markers, they just dry up, even AD markers.
I taught myself to sketch in photoshop, its pretty much like using paper.  When I was in school I bought an Aiptek tablet and stylus, I think they are about $150 for a 10x14.  It worked great, just like at work. Most guys use SID, which is an extension of the Alias Autostudio program, it is replacing studiopaint.

When is your Suby 914 going to be running?
neo914-6
Updated schedule:
Nov/Dec 05 - refit rear flares, weld and flare fenders, remove wheel well lip, fill side marker holes, mount GT3 seat, remove roll cage, fix chassis cracks, install Engman kit by Original Customs smilie_pokal.gif
Jan 05 - mount engine, trans, & cable shifter, install cooling lines @ TC Design, fab exhaust, fab door, fit single piece windows, design interior, HID headlights, shorten tail lights, retractible spoiler
Feb 06 - mount radiators, ducting, and plumbing
Mar 06 - reupholster panels @ ?
April 06 - mold bumpers and fabricate rockers
May 06 - final body prep, paint @ ?
June 06 - re-assembly, seals
July 06 - details, cosmetics
Aug 06 - marketing
Sept 06 - performance options
Oct 06 - buffer
Nov 06 - SEMA

I found out an old friend has a 2000 Audi A6 who gave me some great info on the 2.7tt engine. This means I have access to a running car for reference or ph34r.gif laugh.gif

Given the scope of the project, I may postpone incorporating the single wiper and maybe the Audi dash and climate system. These can wait until after the engine is running and the body is painted.

Paint is going to cost alot more than expected and I really hate looking at alternatives for a key part of the aesthetics. It won't be a "show" car per se but it will be at SEMA, maybe other shows, and likely several magazines. I'm considering selling my V8 914 to fund it but the market for my Chalon and V8 is extremely limited. It outlasted all my "cool" cars and was my first 80's "neo914"... smile.gif
Andyrew
Is the color of the car a secret??

I would like to know what the new 914 color would be... biggrin.gif

"pink is the new purple"....? wink.gif

Andrew

I wish I was skilled enough to tackle the paint for you.. But unfortunately... One term in auto body painting 1 probably aint gona cut it.. Even if I got an 'A'.. lol
neo914-6
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 13 2005, 11:20 PM)
Is the color of the car a secret??

I would like to know what the new 914 color would be...  :D

"pink is the new purple"....?  ;)

Andrew

I wish I was skilled enough to tackle the paint for you.. But unfortunately... One term in auto body painting 1 probably aint gona cut it.. Even if I got an 'A'.. lol

It will likely be a Porsche Seal Grey. I want it to highlight the surfaces. I hate to admit I like the new Infinity grey too...

I painted a few cars in my teens but costs of materials and shop rates are not what they used to be. You get what you pay for and now that I've invested so much in the car I "can't" cheap out on the paint... unsure.gif
Andyrew
I hear you...

I was going to go with the factory single stage phoenix.. but I now think that a dual stage would be stronger and look nicer.
neo914-6
Mueller will transport the car from Marks Napa shop to Tony Coliccllio's TC Design in Milpitas this Wednesday. clap.gif

It is far from being ready for paint but here's a view of what it will or should look like...
Trekkor
you really should have Brandon paint the car...

KT
neo914-6
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 26 2005, 09:20 PM)
you really should have Brandon paint the car...

KT

I prefer a club member or someone referred by a club member. When the time comes I'll compare several shops for cost vs. technical experience vs. 914 experience only because it is a large sum of $ (largest single cost of this project)

Have you priced a "good" paint job recently?
Andyrew
Yup... best guy in town quoted me 5k to do everything 3 years ago...

He said he would shoot it for 800... and that was with hook ups...

dry.gif

Main reason for me to take the painting class was to tell if I could paint my car myself sucessfully
neo914-6
Mike the Man Mueller delivered neo914-6 from Mark's Original Customs in Napa to Tony's TC Design in Milpitas for engine mount fabrication.
neo914-6
Mark did a fantastic job with the custom metal work. He welded welder.gif on new front fenders and formed smash.gif them ala John Kelly on-car technique. He sawzall-smiley.gif and butt welded John's "big A$$" rear flares, yes pun. laugh.gif He filled in all the DZUS , side marker and antenna holes. He extended the seal channel for the headlight delete hood. He also installed the Engman stiff kit and made the GT3 Recaro seat mount work. clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.