Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video of LeMans (in car)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
restore2seater
Don't know if any of these have been posted before, but in case anyone missed them.

WARNING: This first one is a mpg download. 15MB.
Mike Hawthorn in 1955 in a XK- D type Jaguar

Peter Sadler in 1969 in a GT 40

Derek Bell in 1983 in a Porsche 956
URY914
QUOTE (restore2seater @ Sep 2 2005, 07:23 AM)
Don't know if any of these have been posted before, but in case anyone missed them.

Oops problem with the links. Damn it.

I've seen them before. Pretty cool. wink.gif
restore2seater
QUOTE (URY914 @ Sep 2 2005, 07:26 AM)
QUOTE (restore2seater @ Sep 2 2005, 07:23 AM)

Oops problem with the links. Damn it.

I've seen them before. Pretty cool. wink.gif

Links fixed. Sorry about that. rolleyes.gif

I didn't know if anyone had posted these before. Couldn't remember seeing them.

I got them off of the www.metalmeet.com website. I joined their forum yesterday.
Aaron Cox
jag video, there are people on the road-

"cyclists on the race track...typical french." laugh.gif
Jacques
QUOTE (restore2seater @ Sep 2 2005, 08:23 AM)

user posted image
avendlerdp
I don't thik Derek Bell is in a 356. Not sure what it is but it's not a four cylinder and if it is I want that motor for my car. Note that he uses the full track including rumble strips.

Alex
Howard
Great stuff, Pat. Thanks!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (avendlerdp @ Sep 3 2005, 07:11 AM)
I don't thik Derek Bell is in a 356.

Read again--it says "956", not "356". Full-on race car.

Amazing to see the contrast between the 1959 video and the 1983 one. Mostly the difference in speed!

BTW, the Bell footage seems to be the same thing (but without commentary) as is in "In Car: 956". (Wish I hadn't loaned my copy out, never to have it returned!!)

--DD
campbellcj
Yep the 956 clip is in that "In Car 956" video and perhaps was grabbed from it -- very cool tape (and car!) but the sound + video quality is not quite up to modern standards.

user posted image
campbellcj
Definitely not a 356... wink.gif

user posted image
mikey
What's terrifying is to go to the site where these videos are - http://syjmauco.free.fr/Videos/ - and watch the Renault R5 Turbo mpeg. The onlookers are suicidal - jumping out of the way of the cars at the last minute. Crazy French. Love the R5 Turbo!

wub.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (mikey @ Sep 3 2005, 08:37 PM)
What's terrifying is to go to the site where these videos are - http://syjmauco.free.fr/Videos/ - and watch the Renault R5 Turbo mpeg. The onlookers are suicidal - jumping out of the way of the cars at the last minute. Crazy French. Love the R5 Turbo!

wub.gif

...thanks...just spent 20 min watching that r5 vid smile.gif
Hammy
I always thought the Germans were the nutty. smile.gif Look at those French blink.gif
That R5 turbo coming within inches of them, slapping dirt and dust in their faces, they love it biggrin.gif screwy.gif and for the Jaguar 50's vid... What the hell are people doing riding their bikes and driving their family cars on the track? Bit confused, or are they just crazy? huh.gif
Dave_Darling
Much of the Le Mans "track" is actually public roads that are closed off for the race. Obviously, the film was taken while the roads were still open for public use.

--DD
campbellcj
You guys inspired me to dust off the 956 VHS and watch most of it last night...I drove a few laps of the 'Ring in GT4 beforehand (poorly, the beers didn't help) beer.gif

The cornering speed and ground-effect grip of that 956 is just mind-boggling. The "tight" corners are taken at 100+ in many cases. screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.