Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Got both bumpers and ready to swap those big black heavy ones to the light shiney chrome ones. Got the old ones off last night.

On
Allan
No nasty rusty suprises

Off
Allan
Front off

Allan
I know that the sheet metal piece #1 needs to be removed but not sure about #2.

rhodyguy
i'll take the little bumperetts if you're just going to toss the old bumpers.

k
Allan
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2005, 08:47 AM)

k

If you want the ones off of the rear no problem. They look the same. The fronts are promised to Aaron...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Headrage @ Sep 2 2005, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2005, 08:47 AM)

k

If you want the ones off of the rear no problem. They look the same. The fronts are promised to Aaron...

smilie_pokal.gif

my 73 tits are gettin a reduction Kev
rhodyguy
that's good aaron. i don't think i could stand it if you went to early bumpers w/o tits, and your car looked even more like mine wink.gif . you should be recieving the template in a day to 2. it went out wed.

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2005, 09:11 AM)
that's good aaron. i don't think i could stand it if you went to early bumpers w/o tits, and your car looked even more like mine wink.gif . you should be recieving the template in a day to 2. it went out wed.

k

thanks again Kev,

AA
tod914
I could use the front license plate screws that attach the license plate bracker to bumper if you dont mind smile.gif If you plan on removing the rear bumper shocks, I would be interested in those as well.

Thanks

Tod
RustyWa
QUOTE (Headrage @ Sep 2 2005, 08:40 AM)
I know that the sheet metal piece #1 needs to be removed but not sure about #2.

Take lots of pics of the progress you make on this project and post them.

My understanding is that you have to cut the horizontal section of #2 off, BUT leave the vertical section in so that it holds the hood seal in place.
Allan
Okay ya vultures biggrin.gif how about some direction before I hack the sheet metal in all the wrong places...
maf914
Where's Qarl? He did the bumper removal and metal trimming to his 75 six project car. It might be on one of his progress threads from about a year ago.
rhodyguy
craig l is savy on this mod too. off to costco, anybody need anything?

k
Allan
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2005, 11:26 AM)
off to costco, anybody need anything?

k

A pallet of toilet paper and a churro please...
jonwatts
So does this mean you're no longer interested in my chrome rear bumper?

Hopefully you found some closer to home.

Allan
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Sep 2 2005, 01:43 PM)
So does this mean you're no longer interested in my chrome rear bumper?

Hopefully you found some closer to home.

I found a guy here in Bakersfield parting out a '71. Pretty straight chome with almost perfect rubber for 50 bucks.

I shoulda gotten back to you.

Sorry.... sad.gif
jonwatts
No problem, sounds like a killer deal!

Allan
Got the rear tabs cut off. I'll clean every thing up after I know the bumpers are on.
Allan
Got a problem already. The dog bones kick the bumper waaay out. Any ideas???
Allan
Well I got the front on fairly straight. I think it needs to come up a little on the passenger side but nothing major. I think my hood is warped a little.

Allan
another

TravisNeff
Looks good! For checking the height of the bumpers, compare it from the front fenders rather than the eyebrows and hood. That will give you a better measure if it is cockeyed. You can manipulate the eyebrows a little and work with the hood to get it straight.
Allan
I think it's going to take a little tweeking on both the bumper and the hood.

Allan
w

Allan
Rear pics for Craig.

Allan

Allan

Allan

Allan

Allan

Allan

Thor
QUOTE (Headrage @ Sep 3 2005, 10:20 AM)
Got a problem already. The dog bones kick the bumper waaay out. Any ideas???

How did you get by this, Headrage ?
I didn't see any responses.
Allan
QUOTE (Thor @ Sep 3 2005, 03:39 PM)
How did you get by this, Headrage ?
I didn't see any responses.

I haven't figured it out yet. Had to give up for the day. I have been getting instructions from Craig at CAMP914 via the phone and he won't be back until later to look at the picks...

Hopefully tomorrow.
boxstr
Allan, You don't have the rear side tabs completwely removed. That little piece that lies horizontally in the indent must also be removed, that is why the bumper is not fitting flush to the rear of the body.
CCLINBIGBLACKBABYBUMPER
boxstr
Look at pic.

Allan
Craig,

I was able to stick my fingers between the bumper and that piece. I'll see if I can get the rest of it removed but confused24.gif .

Thanks...
Allan
see this...

Allan
Here we go...

Heading over to the shop to see if I can tackle this rear bumper....

Gotta be done today so I can make the GAF.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.