Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Utah people...Need Your Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
I need advice from you Utah club members.

My dad has a car he wants picked up from Cedar City but it needs to be trucked.

Does anyone in Salt Lake City (probably where I'd fly into) rent covered car carrying trucks or trailers? confused24.gif

If so who do you recommend?

Need to do this next weekend.

TIA!
jonwatts
You can do this with a Budget rent-a-truck or possibly a Hertz/Penske. They are dock height and flat inside (no wheel wells). Guess what, a flat bed tow truck is also dock height. So, put car on tow truck, back tow truck up to rent-a-truck and roll car into rent-a-truck. Secure the car with some tie-downs and off you go. When you get to your destination removal is the reverse of the procedure biggrin.gif

Oh, the downside to this method is that wherever you're going you'll get there at rental truck speed. On our drive to CA from FL this was 67mph unless going up hill, then it was 50mph mad.gif
Toast
Cedar city is a Loooooooong way south from Salt Lake, almost the whole state. You may want to try to find a flight into Cedar City or St. George. (dont remember which city has the airport, but they aren't too far from each other).

Look how far apart!

Both cedar city and St. George are big enough citys you should b e able to find retal trailers in either one.
Toast
You may want to consider flying into Vegas and going to Cedar City.

It's Much closer and has some really cool scenery!

Vegas to Cedar

You even get to pass through the Virgin River! happy11.gif

GTeener
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Sep 2 2005, 12:38 PM)
You can do this with a Budget rent-a-truck or possibly a Hertz/Penske. They are dock height and flat inside (no wheel wells). Guess what, a flat bed tow truck is also dock height. So, put car on tow truck, back tow truck up to rent-a-truck and roll car into rent-a-truck. Secure the car with some tie-downs and off you go. When you get to your destination removal is the reverse of the procedure biggrin.gif

Oh, the downside to this method is that wherever you're going you'll get there at rental truck speed. On our drive to CA from FL this was 67mph unless going up hill, then it was 50mph mad.gif

How would we tie down the car inside the rent-a-truck if there are no wheel wells or tie downs inside the van?

Uhaul offers 17' & a 24' moving vans. Penske & others are probably the same confused24.gif

Good point about flying into Salt Lake and driving 6 hours to Cedar City. Mygrandfather lived in SLC , though, an he just passed away. We need to visit the house there too sad.gif
seanery
good rental trucks will have e-track inside, or tie down loops.
Sammy
it's only about 275 miles from SLC to cedar city wink.gif

Vegas is about 125.
Plus if you go from vegas you get to drive through the Virgin river gorge. Abolutely mind blowing every time i go through. I always trick the wife into driving that section of the trip so I can check it out. onliest problem is she gets vertigo from looking at the cliffs and almost crashes.
Toast
LOL. I do that every time I go through the River too. Except I'm driving....and I'm the one that looks out the window. huh.gif
GTeener
QUOTE (seanery @ Sep 2 2005, 01:36 PM)
good rental trucks will have e-track inside, or tie down loops.

Which companies & trucks would those be? An dare they in St George or Cedar City?
GTeener
Alternatively...

If we hire a trucking company to pick-up and deliver this car, who would you recommend?

It must be an enclosed trailer....
Tobra
If you are going to go the enclosed truck route, do not tell the rental company you plan to transport a car inside their truck. I mentioned this when moving from Texas to California, and the U-haul(NEVER, EVER rent from them, long story) guy got more than somewhat agitated about it, something about the gasoline in the vehicle, did not do it, did flat trailer instead. Had several offers to buy it, as we spent a lot of time sitting by the side of the road with a broke down rental truck.

When does this have to happen? I have a cousin who was a car dealer in Murray(Near SLC) for about 30 years, I have no doubt he would know someone in the auto transport biz.
GTeener
QUOTE (Tobra @ Sep 2 2005, 05:53 PM)
If you are going to go the enclosed truck route, do not tell the rental company you plan to transport a car inside their truck. I mentioned this when moving from Texas to California, and the U-haul(NEVER, EVER rent from them, long story) guy got more than somewhat agitated about it, something about the gasoline in the vehicle, did not do it, did flat trailer instead. Had several offers to buy it, as we spent a lot of time sitting by the side of the road with a broke down rental truck.

When does this have to happen? I have a cousin who was a car dealer in Murray(Near SLC) for about 30 years, I have no doubt he would know someone in the auto transport biz.

Thanks for sharing.

It's gotta happen this weekend. My dad called some transporters and he said it is going to be more expensive than he's wants to pay and they won't haul it when he wants it hauled.

So looks like we're back to the haul it ourself on a trailer behind a pull-vehicle. The guy we got the car from in Cedar City happens to be a retired general contractor and he's going to load the car for us onto the tariler and devise a wooden container (side slats) so we can pull the car covered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.