Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought myself a driver...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
I've been wanting a driver 914 again for a while now. With gas prices going up and up, it seemed like a better idea all the time. I bought this from the Classifieds section. Link to 73 2.0 for sale in Boulder. It's got a few rust spots on the cowl and rear trunk, the battery tray has fallen off and there is a small rust hole or two on the inner fender where the tray mounts, but the hell hole(s) actually don't look bad and the car doesn't sag. Runs and drives pretty damn well. I don't plan to sink a lot of money into it, just required repairs and the occasional $10 beauty part.
Allan
Nice score. You have about what....... 3 months of driving weather before it gets garaged?

Use the time wisely... wink.gif
Gint
QUOTE (Headrage @ Sep 2 2005, 04:25 PM)
Nice score.  You have about what....... 3 months of driving weather before it gets garaged?

Garaged!?!?! You CA guys need to get out more. Unless there is actually snow on the ground, you can drive a 914 in Denver all year 'round. Especially a car that I don't really care about the finish.

But thanks! BTW I didn't pay nearly that price for it. wink.gif
brant
congrats mike!
its a good driver

(just don't try to fix it to concour standards our you'll have to sell that -6 shell to me!!!!!!)

brant
Gint
I'm just gonna drive it and fix what I have to. It needs a few little odds and ends already. Maybe a rear wheel bearing or cv joint too. Front brakes squeal, some piece of tin is rattling, wipers not working, etc...

The plan is to get it into shape for the run to Moab for RRC. driving.gif
brant
I LOVE the plan...

good for you!
(I'm definitely not driving the van now!)
I also think I'll be the only non-914 in the friday caravan

brant
Joe Bob
Ummmm, watch out fer slow cars..... wink.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 2 2005, 03:35 PM)
The plan is to get it into shape for the run to Moab for RRC. driving.gif

Now yer talking. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif mueba.gif
krk
Hey Gint!

Congrats on the pickup -- I have to catch up on your resto project (give me time smile.gif)

Hope things are well!

kim.
rick 918-S
Dang! Sweet! clap.gif
thesey914
I like the front spoiler...what kind is that?
Gint
QUOTE (krk @ Sep 3 2005, 12:56 AM)
Hey Gint!

Congrats on the pickup -- I have to catch up on your resto project (give me time smile.gif)

Hope things are well!

kim.

Thanks Kim! Where have you been hiding?

QUOTE (thesey914 @ Sep 3 2005, 02:52 AM)
I like the front spoiler...what kind is that?

Beats me. I'm not crazy about it myself.
bd1308
speaking of front spoliers,

I used to have the "Ultimate Air Dam" on my car...it left me with about 1 monkey hand of clearance...I kept on scraping it over everything.....

it broke in the wreck, so i bougth a low profile one.

looks shorter than mine though....

nice car..
cooltimes
Nice appearance in that photo. Share more photos as you can. Good luck.

Thanks Mike

Mike

SpecialK
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 2 2005, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Sep 2 2005, 04:25 PM)
Nice score.  You have about what....... 3 months of driving weather before it gets garaged?

Garaged!?!?! You CA guys need to get out more. Unless there is actually snow on the ground, you can drive a 914 in Denver all year 'round. Especially a car that I don't really care about the finish.

But thanks! BTW I didn't pay nearly that price for it. wink.gif

Werd!

Plus the Denver area is pretty good at keeping the roads clear. Never got stuck the entire time I lived there. driving.gif
krk
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 3 2005, 05:44 AM)
QUOTE (krk @ Sep 3 2005, 12:56 AM)
Hey Gint!

Hope things are well!

kim.

Thanks Kim! Where have you been hiding?

Well, it's actually a long story -- we're in the mode of (hopefully) adopting some kids and, well... guess where my "spare time" went.... ;-) Yeh, they (two girls, 4 & 6) are living with us now (yea!) and between them and the county, we're just a tad short on free time.

But we've gotten through the big part of the process and as it settles, I'll get a bit of my old world back again. 'Course, I won' t get it all back (!), but c'est la vie. I'll at least move my status up to "lurker" from "where the heck is he?".

kim.
Gint
QUOTE (cooltimes @ Sep 3 2005, 12:55 PM)
Nice appearance in that photo. Share more photos as you can.  Good luck.

Thanks Mike

Mike

It looks better in that pic than it does in person. Runs pretty good though. It's a driver. Pics will have to wait. I'm in Canada eh!

QUOTE (krk @ Sep 3 2005, 02:10 PM)
Well, it's actually a long story -- we're in the mode of (hopefully) adopting some kids and, well...  guess where my "spare time" went.... ;-) Yeh, they (two girls, 4 & 6) are living with us now (yea!) and between them and the county, we're just a tad short on free time.

But we've gotten through the big part of the process and as it settles, I'll get a bit of my old world back again. 'Course, I won' t get it all back (!), but c'est la vie.  I'll at least  move my status up to "lurker" from "where the heck is he?".

kim.

That's great! If you thought you had not time before...
Gint
New pic

user posted image
TROJANMAN
nice. can't wait to see it on the road next to mine.

(i used to have that same rear window sticker on my first car, 81 scirroco)
Gint
Drove it some more today. I found myself driving down I25 to get on 36 (you know, where the construction and major slow down is), grinning like the village idiot. I had to check myself before the other drivers thought I was absolutely nutz. I really did forget how much fun it is to blast around in one of these cars.
siverson
Cool, sounds neat. I think that was a very smart move too to get a car while yours is under construction - that was the biggest mistake I made. I didn't drive a 914 for -5 YEARS- while I was "re"building mine, and started to really forget why I was doing it?!?! But now I remember!

-Steve
markb
This is exactly how I started. Dad's car needed a lot of work, so I bought the Blue car "just to drive until Dad's was done". 5 years later, replaced most everything on the Blue car, including new paint, and ain't done diddly on the other car. It's an obsession, I tell ya! biggrin.gif

BTW, the car looks good (from a distance). smile.gif What color is that?
Gint
QUOTE (markb @ Sep 16 2005, 06:24 PM)
This is exactly how I started. Dad's car needed a lot of work, so I bought the Blue car "just to drive until Dad's was done". 5 years later, replaced most everything on the Blue car, including new paint, and ain't done diddly on the other car. It's an obsession, I tell ya!  :D

BTW, the car looks good (from a distance).  :)  What color is that?

Thanks Mark and Steve.

It's actually a crappy (I mean really bad) repaint over the original Zambezi green. Fortunately they left the jambs, engine compartment, underside and trunks alone so the exterior panels could actually one day be be stripped and painted Zambezi green and keep the costs down. I'm going to do a tune-up this weekend, adjust valves, pull the valances and generally have an in depth look around. Aside from the small rust spots on the cowl (easily repaired), surface scale in the rear trunk (POR15 candidate) and some holes behind the battery tray that's fallen off the inner fender well, this car is starting to appear to be a really solid tub.

I also looked through the old receipts today. It was very well maintained in Mountain View CA. up until 2003 when it was brought to Boulder. Documentation would also bear out that the mileage shown (96k) is very close to actual. Of course the odometer appears to be inop at the moment.

My worst fear is that I somewhat prefer the driving characteristics of the 4 cylinder car over the /6. The 4's seem much lighter and nimbler than the sixes do. Part of me has always preferred the 4. But on the flip side, 3/4 of the money for the /6 "rusto" has already been spent, so it's just a matter of time.

But yes, I now remember why I started down the slippery slope...

More pics after the Hotsy rental this weekend.
jsteele22
Hi Mike,

Congrats. And please do tell us more about the "hotsy rental." happy11.gif

Jeff
Gint
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Sep 16 2005, 08:51 PM)
Hi Mike,

Congrats.  And please do tell us more about the "hotsy rental." happy11.gif

Jeff

Hey Jeff. I'm going to rent a Hotsy tomorrow (Saturday) to clean this beast. A Hotsy is basically a pressure washer. They use a lower pressure and have a burner to heat the water. Nothing cleans a motor/tranny better than a hotsy or steam. It melts the grease. Does your 914 need a clean on the underside? Come on up to my house tomorrow. I posted on the local list. It would be worth the trip to really get all of that grease off if you need to. I just need to have everyone out by 5. Call my cell if you're interested. 720-480-2540
Trekkor
I'm glad you bought that car clap.gif

Looks nice, too.

What color green is that?

Will you keep the car after the SIX is completed?
i want it...heh hehph34r.gif
Nice score...

KT
Rusty
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 16 2005, 11:18 PM)
Hey Jeff. I'm going to rent a Hotsy tomorrow (Saturday) to clean this beast. A Hotsy is basically a pressure washer. They use a lower pressure and have a burner to heat the water. Nothing cleans a motor/tranny better than a hotsy or steam. It melts the grease. Does your 914 need a clean on the underside? Come on up to my house tomorrow. I posted on the local list. It would be worth the trip to really get all of that grease off if you need to. I just need to have everyone out by 5.

Yeaaah... You're really looking for yet another way to piss off your neighbors, huh? happy11.gif

Nice score on the car, dude. More and more, I'm starting to like the look of black early bumpers.

You've got your powdercoating rig still, right? Think about it... strip all the chrome, black it out with powdercoat, some nice paint... wub.gif
Gint
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 17 2005, 12:06 AM)
I'm glad you bought that car clap.gif

Looks nice, too.

What color green is that?

Will you keep the car after the SIX is completed?
i want it...heh hehph34r.gif
Nice score...

KT

Three posts up Trekkor.

It's actually a crappy (I mean really bad) repaint over the original Zambezi green. Fortunately they left the jambs, engine compartment, underside and trunks alone so the exterior panels could actually one day be be stripped and painted Zambezi green and keep the costs down.

QUOTE (Lawrence @ Sep 17 2005, 05:08 AM)
QUOTE (Gint @ Sep 16 2005, 11:18 PM)
Hey Jeff.  I'm going to rent a Hotsy tomorrow (Saturday) to clean this beast.  A Hotsy is basically a pressure washer.  They use a lower pressure and have a burner to heat the water.  Nothing cleans a motor/tranny better than a hotsy or steam.  It melts the grease.   Does your 914 need a clean on the underside?  Come on up to my house tomorrow.   I posted on the local list. It would be worth the trip to really get all of that grease off if you need to.  I just need to have everyone out by 5.

Yeaaah... You're really looking for yet another way to piss off your neighbors, huh? happy11.gif

Nice score on the car, dude. More and more, I'm starting to like the look of black early bumpers.

You've got your powdercoating rig still, right? Think about it... strip all the chrome, black it out with powdercoat, some nice paint... wub.gif

This thing is a little loud too. happy11.gif Glass pack'll do that you know.

I'm hoping to keep costs down on this rig. But it will make a screamin deal for someone when I'm ready to sell it. After the /6 is done of course.
BMartin914
Can't wait to see it later. Sweet!
pete-stevers
Mike that is a shweet car , you guys down south...a little rust....you lucky buggers, a little rust 'round here means the whole suspension console gone, the longs gone, afew holes here and there....i can't wait to go 914 shopping again, down south! biggrin.gif
nice lookin car, i like green!
maf914
Good deal! Not a bad looking car.

I'm curious about the color. The photos make it look like it has a bit of blue or aqua in the green. Is the color accurate or is it just the photo?
Gint
QUOTE (maf914 @ Sep 17 2005, 12:00 PM)
Good deal! Not a bad looking car.

I'm curious about the color. The photos make it look like it has a bit of blue or aqua in the green. Is the color accurate or is it just the photo?

That last photo is a reasonably accurate rendition of the color. It was probably supposed to match Zambezi (the stock color) but didn't quite make it. It's a amatuer job at best anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.