Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Securing the Rear Valence
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
How is it supposed to be secured? I am thinking bolt with washer, through valence and body of car/rear bumper, then washer and nut. What size bolt, metric 10 mm maybe. Should nuts, bolts and washers be stainless or anything to prevent rust?
914GT
I just installed one this afternoon. I basically did what you described and found some stainless steel screws. On the ends I used longer screws and some rubber washers similar to what was used originally.
Tobra
so rubber washer to protect sheet metal and bumper, makes sense, sort of like the fender welt on a bug where the fenders connect
ArtechnikA
self-tapping screw, hex-head 4,8mm x 16 (914.6 - 19)
washer, 5,3mm
speed nut

the ends are different. for 72+:
hex bolt M5x20 inserted from top
washer, 5,3mm
spacer (lots of cars are missing these...)
lock ring (split lockwasher)
hex nut, M5

70-71:
self-tapping screw, hex head 4,8mm x 19
spacer
washer 5,3mm
speed nut
Tobra
I have been looking for these fasteners for a few weeks. The ones for the ends are readily available at hardware store, metric self tappers are nowhere to be found, any suggestions on a source, dealer perhaps?
ArtechnikA
since it's only going into a speed nut, unless you're looking at a national-class concours competition, the US-sized hardware should be just fine.

interestingly, 4,8mm is a gnat's eyelash from 3/16" ...
Tobra
dude, you rock
now I don't have to drive with my ass hangin' out

rocking nana.gif

where did you get that picture anyway
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Tobra @ Oct 1 2005, 10:20 AM)
where did you get that picture anyway

the picture is from ETKA - popularly known as "PET." available on CD through dealer sources now, for not much, and elsewhere. i'd go for a legit copy now that they're available... look around for "PET CD" and you'll find links...

it has all the parts information for *all* the Porsche models. an invaluable resource even if you don't have to deal with a 356 Pre-A, a 914.6, and a '71 911 with '75 engine and '84 transaxle...

as for the time - something of a sore subject. lots of stuff i need to be doing today, but you caught me finishing breakfast so it's an easy reply.

my day job has me in front of a computer 8-10 hrs a day, so i can usually take a moment to help out.

but there is much to do this weekend, many overdue projects i have to make progress on ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.