Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Oil Cooler install.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron Cox
Today i decided to embark on my journey to prep my car for -10 braided line, and a 16x3" setrab Oil Cooler.

STEP 1
cut square hole in passenger foot well area for lines.
user posted image

STEP 2
Decide whether to run braided lines up the rocker area, or throight the heater tubes.... idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif beer3.gif idea.gif rocking nana.gif

STEP 3
Decide that running lines down the rocker is easier to access..... cut access holes to go from rocker area to inside footwell like GT cars
user posted image

Step 4
Cut outside access hole
user posted image

Step 5
Cut front trunk access holes for lines to run to cooler....
user posted image

Step 6
Marvel at your ugly openings, and take an artsy fartsy hole to hole shot
user posted image

Step 7
Drill out 6 spotwelds holding down the spare tire mount, prepare to move it vertically to the firewall to secure a spacesacer like this (STEVE's car)
user posted image
Aaron Cox
Did i mention that AN fittings are a royal mot**r F****ng pain in the @$$????

TimT
hmmm are you lubing up the hose and fitting?

-10 should be a piece of cake to assemble.. its the -16 and -20 lines that are a pain in the nads
Aaron Cox

-10 should be a piece of cake to assemble.. its the -16 and -20 lines that are a pain in the nads

1. wrap hose with tape.
2. cut in the middle of tape.
3. deburr the end with diag. cutters.
4. apply vigorous amounts of wd/40 or 30 wt oil
5. swear swear curse curse and get red fitting over braided end.
6. push blue tapered fitting into rubber hose.
7. tighten.

i did 4 ends today. still picking braids out of my hand....
Mueller
I guess I could wait until you post a picture, but how big should the exit hole be for the cooler and shroud??
Aaron Cox
havent done that yet. going to do something like this....

user posted image
Maltese Falcon
Aaron, don't let that braided hose end fall on your OSHA approved steel-toed flip flops (BTDT) ohmy.gif
PM me about the GAF cool_shades.gif
Marty
BMartin914
Way to go aaron! So you decided to go down the rockers?

It was kind of a pain to go through the heater tube, but it only took me a couple hours to cut all the holes and run the lines. Seems worth it now. No regrets.

Mine is about 90% done. The hard part is over. Too lazy to take pics and too excited to drive it again. In the process of buttoning up the interior and then... driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
Today i decided to embark on my journey to prep my car for -10 braided line, and a 16x3" setrab Oil Cooler.

Hey Aaron, what's ya doin? I, thought your motor didn't have enough HP to even heat the oil up, and now your installing a external cooler? happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
richard, i gots me a 78mm scat crank....

gonna go BIG like yours... soon. think like next summer soon smile.gif

laying the groundwork for a big motor biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
here is the cooler, for those who care

about 3" tall, 14" wide/16" with brackets
user posted image
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 2 2005, 07:48 PM)

So, you've been holding out mad.gif Well I guess a 78mm crank will make a little heat, what have you decided on for cylinders? And if you say 96mm, I won't talk to you anymore happy11.gif let alone help you happy11.gif
Brando

Maybe you should learn to drive what ya got before upping the car.

I can tell you're askeered of me with that new motor... already thinking of a 2300++ lol2.gif
john rogers
Before you run the hoses, try and get some sheetmetal edging so the edges will not cut that braided hose you drove so far to get. It is available at places like Marshall's in San Diego and will not only prptect the hose but make it look really professional. If you can't find that use some small black vacuum hose and slit it and put over the edges, I've done that with success too. Looking good so far!
Brando
to make it real pretty, we can cut up some aluminum and put doughnut rubber washers/seals inside just the right diameter for the hoses that you can screw down over the large sharp square holes.
Aaron Cox
John, yep - a grommet material is being sourced. dont want to cut them hoses smile.gif
brant
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 2 2005, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (TimT @ Sep 2 2005, 08:01 PM)

-10 should be a piece of cake to assemble.. its the -16 and -20 lines that  are a pain in the nads

1. wrap hose with tape.
2. cut in the middle of tape.
3. deburr the end with diag. cutters.
4. apply vigorous amounts of wd/40 or 30 wt oil
6. push blue tapered fitting into rubber hose.
7. tighten.

i did 4 ends today. still picking braids out of my hand....

doing a bunch of fittings can be a pain:
machina
I have dozens of -6, -8, and -10 fittings on my car.

The best $$ I have spent was on a giant pair (36") of hose shears, they cut thru even -16 braided hose like butter making a clean and ready to install hose end. You can get a set from mcmaster for around $100 or less.
TimT
The best $$ I have spent was on a giant pair (36") of hose shears

agree.gif werd up

I was just looking through summits new catalog whilst in the library, and noticed that they are selling the shears for $39.95

Also the brand of hose end seems to make a difference, XRP, Aeroquip, and Earls are slightly different

iirc earls are the more difficult to use
SLITS
A Dremel / DoMore with a cutoff wheel will make a nice clean cut.

I would soft vise the fitting and push the hose on.

Also, after pushing the fitting on, I would mark a line on the tape at the end of the fitting. When I screwed the second part of the fitting on, watching the mark would tell you if the fitting was pulling out of the hose.

Tricks to save blood.............
rhodyguy
i'm surprised you're not going with the fancy, finned, oil lines that Elephant sells, that run through the pass side sill supports. that way, your slow to warm up engine will take even longer. ya kill me kid!! rolleyes.gif

k
rhodyguy
another dumb ?. how the hell do you purge all oil out of the system when it's time for a change? any idea what the total capacity will be?

k
SLITS
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 3 2005, 09:02 AM)
another dumb ?. how the hell do you purge all oil out of the system when it's time for a change? any idea what the total capacity will be?

k

You don't, unless you blow the engine..........

/6 race car with front mounted cooler was ~ 13 quarts
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 3 2005, 08:59 AM)
i'm surprised you're not going with the fancy, finned, oil lines that Elephant sells, that run through the pass side sill supports. that way, your slow to warm up engine will take even longer. ya kill me kid!! rolleyes.gif

k

kid? its got a thermostat. so warm ups will be the same flipa.gif

Oil cycles all the time, you dont purge it unless you want to.

and... guessing 4 more quarts....
rhodyguy
wouldn't that be the fan thermostat? i was refering to the non-existant one for the cooling flaps. over half a box of oil when it's time for a change, nice. i hope you're going with the real exspensive stuff. bootyshake.gif

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 3 2005, 09:26 AM)
wouldn't that be the fan thermostat? i was refering to the non-existant one for the cooling flaps. over half a box of oil when it's time for a change, nice. i hope you're going with the real exspensive stuff. bootyshake.gif

k

no silly fan thermostat. but your extra cold oil point is moot. 5% of the oil is always circualting through the cooler. at 180 deg, 100 percent is going to the cooler....

AA
Aaron Cox
DAY 2 Delete boxed sill support and fab a gusset to replace it
Purpose: to allow the lines to clear the rocker panels.

check out this fab skill biggrin.gif
the gusset
user posted image
another view
user posted image
In place, now double wall gussets eliminating boxed section that prohibited lines from running.
user posted image
Now drill 2 x 1 1/8 holes in each sill support to run lines.

Also moved spare tire mount to firewall to enable shroud mounting......
user posted image

RTV'd grommets in all openings, ready to run lines tomorrow biggrin.gif
Duffster
Sehr Gut!!!! pray.gif
ArtechnikA

I use a Gould pipe vise (pictured) with cutting guide for cutting hose; a sharp 32-TPI hack saw blade goes through in a few strokes. use a couple of turns of racer's tape in the area of the cut; mark the tape. the pipe vise is small enough to go into the track box.

it's usually easier to put the red fitting over the hose before you cut it.

SLITS is definitely right; grip the fitting in "soft" (aluminum or brass) vise jaws, push on the hose. the rest of his tips are spot-on too.

there's an illustrated guide on the Earl's site.
Aaron Cox
DAY 3....ALMOST DONE

fitted thermostat sandwich plate. ran lines. mounted cooler.
a few hours away from being done....

step 1-
notch engine bar to utilize oil filter. removing heater stuffs made this easy...
user posted image
another look.
user posted image

custom grommet material wink.gif
user posted image
more fuel lime grommetry smile.gif
user posted image
again.... works good on square openings
user posted image

more pics in a few minutes...
Aaron Cox
almost done.

oil lines are almost done.
padded 1" hose clamps.... smile.gif

2 hoses come together at the long, through a union,... so you could drain the lines if needed....
user posted image
Brando
Looks great Aaron!

Should have run the lines down opposite sides through the rocker holes... That's what they're there for.
Aaron Cox
Looks great Aaron!

Should have run the lines down opposite sides through the rocker holes... That's what they're there for.

wrong - lines are 1" diameter, holes in rockers are 3/4- do you see any sill supports here? dry.gif

flipa.gif
Trekkor
Good job. Glad to see you take this on.

I'm still lagging behind in the oil cooling dept. dry.gif

KT
cha914
If I want to drain my lines I just pull both ends off the sandwitch adapter and fire up the air compressor. Put one line in a catch can, stick the blower in the other line...presto drained lines!!!

Otherwise looks good...

Tony

Duffster
the great thing about external coolers is the number of new places to spring leaks... That extra 3-4 quarts will defiantly come in handy in your cone-bashing exercises. Finish up and suck a few after the test drive. clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif (oh god! did I just give AAron the clap?!!!)
Aaron Cox
all done except the shroud....

thanks to herb meeder (hmeeder) for the mounting tip.
tie into front a arm protector bolt holes...

the mount (1/8 x 2 x 27 AL bar)
user posted image
The rubber isolators (4)
user posted image
cooler on rubber isolators
user posted image
mocked up. bolted in
user posted image
close up.
user posted image
top view
user posted image
line mockup
user posted image
another view
user posted image
sideview
user posted image
lines will be well hidden by passenger foam foot rest.
user posted image
side of the ride
user posted image

on to shroud design smile.gif

got about 3 qts in the cooler and the lines, im sure they arent full yet....
Twystd1
Dude,
Your my Hero..

Crap.. did I say Aaron was my HERO?

I apologize to the club..... wink.gif

Good job bro...

Twystd1
Markeydoo
Nice job AAron...
Where does the microwave go??? cool.gif
Type 4 Unleashed

Aaron, how about info on that Scat crank, what journal size, and what have you decided on for Piston & Cylinders? happy11.gif
MattR
Thats baaad

and by baaad, i mean gooood

keep on rockin', son
agrump
Can I get an update on how this cooler performed? I'm thinking of doing something similar.
Aaron Cox
works fine with no ducting and no exit as of yet...

motor gets to 180 ish....

ill have it ducted and shoruded as of summer...

gonna go ALuminum i think
agrump
Excellent! Thank you. I was just measuring on my car and I think I am going to have to go with two 8x4 coolers to get around the spare and the AC condensor. Should be about the same surface area as what you have. I'll be able to duct it out the wheel wells if needed.
jhadler
Was currious about the overall height of the cooler and fittings. I have am aftermarket spoiler with a nice opening that I'd like to fit that cooler into. I'm trying to keep the overall height of the cooler with fittings to 6". Do you think that with 90 degree fittings, that it might make it under 6"?

Thanks,

-Josh2
Aaron Cox
with 90's? hmmm i would think it would be a tad too tall. cooler is 4" and the fittings may be taller than 2"......

maybe with the 135 degree fittings.....
Brad Roberts
That cooler is too damn small to be effective on the track Josh. Step up and get a Fluidyne that is the same heigth/length but double the width.

I installed a 13 row Earls in a 914 (in 6 hours the other night) Worked perfect at Buttonwillow with the air temps in the 98deg. range. Kept everything in check. I needed a cooler quickly for this event, so I went against my own "Fluidyne" preaching.

Aaron,

I like the concept of runnin through the rockers, but cutting into the frame rail TWICE is not something I think I would want to do. I ran Birgit's through the heater tube and had it exit out of the factory hole in the frame rail just behind your exit point.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 5 2006, 04:46 PM) *

Aaron,
I like the concept of runnin through the rockers, but cutting into the frame rail TWICE is not something I think I would want to do. I ran Birgit's through the heater tube and had it exit out of the factory hole in the frame rail just behind your exit point.
B

Another voice crying in the wilderness....I got 2 AN 12 lines out thru that hole.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 5 2006, 04:46 PM) *

Aaron,

B

point undertood. this is how the factory did it tho....

and did you look at the date of this thread?? it has been revived....

J P Stein
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 5 2006, 05:38 PM) *

and did you look at the date of this thread?? it has been revived....

Was it revived so's you could be punished?
OR
does that mean it don't count? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.