Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler EXPLODED, what exhaust is this???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
So I've noticed this "buzzing" sound for the past few weeks in the teener. I gradually got worse...... I noticed a lot of backfiring during deceleration...... it gradually got worse as well.

Today, my wife and I go out, and the car is LOUD as hell..... gargling and backfiring all over the place. I crawl underneath it....... low and behold, the muffler has almost literally exploded.

Off to Auto Zone.... got some quickie muffler patch-up stuff.... patch it at my parents house..... let it dry for a couple hours while watching a movie. Drive home.. car sounds much better, no more backfiring.. car feels to have a lot more power.... I'm pretty happy.

Nope... the patch falls off halfway home..... gargle gargle.... pop pop pop..... back to square 1.

Obviously my car runs good with the exhaust thats on it..... so I need to stick with something exactly like it, or very close........... but I have no idea which exhaust it is.

I took some quick pics...... I know some of you smart guys will know exactly what it is...... plus you can see how my muffler exploded biggrin.gif

Lastly..... I looked on eBay........ NOTHING. Whats the best (cheapest) place to get this exact exhaust.... or one just like it??

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Matt
ninefourteener
another
ninefourteener
another
ninefourteener
last one
Aaron Cox
BURSCH
ninefourteener
Who has the best prices on a Bursch exhaust?? Pelican? Tweeks? Someone else??

Anyone got one laying around??
Maltese Falcon
Bursch, mfg by Horsepower Engineering, you may be able to buy it (as a replacement) . They're kinda geared to send you down the road to Performance Product$...so just tell them how great they are and maybe get a NEW muffler.
626-440-0440 (no web- major 19th century)
OR just have Muffler Manglers hang another 2" dynomax turbo muffler in there headbang.gif
Marty
ninefourteener
Uh Oh..... another question.

I know my engine wasd built to 2.0 specs.. but I'm unsure what it originally was.

Now I'm seeing listings for 2 different exhausts......

was there a difference between the 1.7/1.8L exhaust, and the 2.0 exhaust.

Is there an easy way to tell, or should I just snap another pic?

Another question..... Pelican has an alternative to the bursch.... the "Sebring"... is this decent, or is it crap??
rhodyguy
in the one picture it looked like you have the kicked up pipe he's, 1.7/1.8 style. the header piping is prob still fine. as suggested, replace just the muffler and save yourself some money. make sure off the he's. dif he to muffler gasket, 2.0 vs 1.7/1.8. show a good picture of where the he's meet the muffler.

k
Allan
agree.gif Looks like 1.7/1.8 H/E's...
ninefourteener
here's a couple more pics... I tried to get the heat exchangers... both where they meet the exhaust, as well as further up.

I just want to make sure I order the right exhaust, you know? Nothing would piss me off more than getting it in, and having it be wrong.

I see bursch exhaust, I see sebring exhaust, I see different engine types, different flanges..... not sure what to buy here.

Here's the first of 2 pics:

ninefourteener
the second:
Cap'n Krusty
1.7/1.8 heat exchangers. Get a muffler shop to weld in a replacement can and be done with it. If that don't get it for you, buy a new 1970-1974 1.7/1.8 Bursch from one of the regular sources. The Cap'n
TravisNeff
I agree with the cap'n, get a new muffler and have it welded on. A new bursch will be close to 2 bills, a replacement muffler (dynomax, flowmaster or whatever) will be about 50 bucks plus the welding. If you get a new bursch, it won't be long before it looks like what you already have as their paint just burns off.
rhodyguy
check out www.edelbrock.com, look for the SDT mufflers, part# 55740, 2.00"/2.00" in/out. a zillion parts stores can order them for you.

k
Brando
Forget a new muffler... weld on a $10 cherry bomb or straight pipe for $5!

Because you hate your neighbors...
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Brando @ Sep 3 2005, 12:06 PM)
Forget a new muffler... weld on a $10 cherry bomb or straight pipe for $5!

Because you hate your neighbors...

smilie_pokal.gif happy11.gif agree.gif

and forget a stereo you'll be deaf... wink.gif
ninefourteener
Thanks for all your help folks!!!

I took your advice, cause although some of you said around $200 for a new Bursch, although the ones I found were $250, or more.

I brought it to a local custom exhaust place.... they do good work...... plus I have a warrantee on the muffler. Total cost of everything, was $84.00.

Here's what I want to know......... My exhaust was in GREAT shape... some road grime, but it wasn't rusty or rotted... it still had a lot of the factory coating on it too.. The 6 bolts all came out with little or no effort at all, no WD40 or PB Blaster required, at all.

Yet..... the muffler EXPLODED like it was made from a pepsi can. Why????
TravisNeff
Look for a potato in the tailpipe wacko.gif

My only guess is that from all the heat and cool down cycles cracked the steel and finally came apart from warping, rather than exploding. If you exhaust was that plugged up to blow up your muffler, you'd have a blown up engine - no? At the least it would barely run if it was plugged.
Brando
No, it was not made from a pepsi can...

But multiple pepsi cans...
TravisNeff
Prolly a fosters lager big can wink.gif
rhodyguy
if you followed the hanging flap all the way to the end, was it at a seam? you should have saved it for wall art in the garage.

k
Tom Perso
The amount of time that it takes to split a cheap muffler is directly related to how heavy your foot is.

wink.gif

Shit happens. Shit happens quicker to shitty stuff...

'Nuf said.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.