Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thunderhill SVR-PCA/ Trackmasters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
This will be my first "real" DE.
I downloaded the in-car video and the turn-by-turn descriptions.

I wonder how fast I can get the car to go? 130? 140?

Anybody else running?
The GGR-PCA DE/TT is the on the next two days.
Maybe I'll try and sneak on with them, too unsure.gif

Not really, that would be wrong...
KT
KenH
Whoa!!!

If all you have done is "watch a video" about TH the LAST thing you should think about is how fast you can go.

You need to have an instructor with you at least for 1/2 a day before you run at speed.

Ken
DanT
I agree with Ken!

If you get regular GGR instructors (which you probably will) for a DE you will be learning the line, braking points, etc. Not looking to set top time of day. Anyway the top speed is not the objective. 914s with small displacement motors are never the fastest in a straight line. It is the ability to translate the speed you do have and carry as much of it as possible into and thru the corners. Thats what driving a small displacement 914 on the big track is all about. MOMENTUM You only get that by putting all of the factors together.
Smooth transitions, good braking, learning the track and line are all objectives for your first time on track.
Trekkor, your car has a good AX set up suspension wise. You may find with the front so soft that you may be alittle tail happy on the big track.
It will be interesting to hear your comments after the event.
I will see you there on Friday. I am completing my last event as GGR communications director for the TT series...next season back to the track with my new putput.
Be safe and learn.
biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Will Trekkor turn into a Track Junky . Needing more than the 60 second fix , Autocross provides. More motor, more brakes ,more bigger tire/wheels
Tails of addiction to unfold.

Have Fun beer.gif
Trekkor
Thanks for the "tone it down". wink.gif

I will take it easy. I get excited sometimes. boldblue.gif
I want to go 130, though...Muhahahahah!

KT
DanT
No problemo...adrenalin rush tends to do that. That is one of the things you learn to control on the track if you want to keep it on the pavement and in one piece.
I am sure you will do fine I think Nathan got a new appeciation for the big track last month at Th. wink.gif
Demick
QUOTE (trekkor @ Sep 2 2005, 11:43 PM)
I wonder how fast I can get the car to go? 130? 140?

I want some of what Trekkors been smokin' biggrin.gif

9146R
Trekkor,
Fun times at Santa Rosa autox with you today...wish I could join you at T'hill. Agree with all the previous posts about instruction...it is a REAL necessity for the first adventure. Whole lot more risk if you err on the track vs a spin at an autox....I know from experience. But, the seat time is HUGE and you will get hooked even deeper than you are with autox...be forewarned ! Oh, and have fun but be safe...slow in and fast out of the turns works well there. Greg
grantsfo
Trekkor you'll be fine. Get a good instructor, spend a little time learning the lines, braking points etc. You'll find your going fast without trying hard at all after a few laps. Just gain a healthy respect for what being off the power in fast sections does to the physics of your car.

I think value of PCA instruction can be overblown at times however - frankly I have found good instruction at a variety of events. And have even found some bad instruction at some Porsche Club events. Hell at Russell school at Infineon I was out on the track by myself in a formula car ripping off some pretty quick times in a car much faster than a 914-6 without an instructor in my car - never spun the car or really even got close to being in trouble the entire 3 days with hours of solo seat time. Its not as if you dont have car handling skills from all the AX and more recently the carting you have done. You just need to understand what happens to cars when your moving faster. Spinning really isnt an option on the track so always better to drive 8/10ths and focus on lines etc.

Biggest thing is figuring out the course, driving a fast line and not driving beyond your capabilities. Some people make TT sound like a big deal even for people with signficant seat time in their cars. Its pretty straight forward stuff in my opinion. I had never done a competitive event ever before I went to a POC event about 3 years ago. Took the 914 out with an instructor for a few laps and then was ticking off near record laps for my class the next day.
DanT
The reality of the situation is that Trekkor probably will not have an option of whether or not to have an instructor. If it is run the way GGR runs their events (SVR has run that way in the past) you will be assigned an instructor for at least the first half of the day. Depending on your ability and the feeling of the instructor you might be turned loose or you may also be assigned an instructor for the afternoon.
Most PCA groups in Norcal run their DE/HSDS in the way GGR does it. All of zone 7 uses GGRs rules for TT/DE/AX/HSDS. Always have.
Until you have shown your abilities to a trained PCA instructor you probably will not be turned loose.
Grant,
Yes, we take our DE and TT events very seriously in Zone 7. GGR/Zone 7 has been running these events safely for almost 30 years now (2006). That is why we have a very trouble free record overall. I have seen the way other track groups select their instructors and I am not very impressed. I guess that is why some of track groups average at least one totaled car per event. Not to mention driver injury.
Don't compare us to Russel or any other proffessional instruction. Does not equate. Most of this instruction does not happen in your car.
I have had many many students over the last 15 years from AX and TT that state time and again that the instruction they recieved at our events was far superior to any thing they have gotten at the proffessional schools.

yes, Trekkor your AX skills will greatly increase your learning curve on the track but you will need help... it is not the same sport.
I do not know Grants experiences but I am speaking with 15 years of experience and most of those have been spent as an instructor.

Trekkor, If you find out who your instructor/s will be before the event send me a pm with their names and I will give you the low down on their expertise.
If you are lucky you will get a 914 driver like Sergio Meza, John Seidel, Brian Perry, Todd Harter, Gary Dorighi, Eric Ostley, Rich McGlumphy, All excellent 914 drivers. Every thing from BP cars up to LM and Z class cars.

You will have a great day and will probably get hooked just like I did many years ago after AXing for 2 or 3 years.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif clap.gif boldblue.gif
Trekkor
Having an instructor is key. I know that.
It was very helpful for me having Randal as my a/x instructor.

I'll be out on new tires and the car will be in perfect mechanical order.

I'll start slow, then work up as my confidence comes up.
In-car video, of course!

Greg, glad you and your son came out to race at the a/x.
Great driving! That car really hold's on with those new Hoosier's. You had TTOD until that last pass by Gary Dorighi. I think all the 914 drivers were in the top 8 smilie_pokal.gif

Grant, where were you? unsure.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.