Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThemWyatts
I am changing the oil today. I decided to go with Castrol, I had an MGB years ago and it seemed to work the best, I am a firm believer in it.
My question is , how much oil should I expect to use?
I see nothing in anything that I have read that says what range (safe range) is good.
Please advise.

I know it is a rather elementary question for many of you. But we all have to start somewhere.

I know, if it is overflowing in the street, that is probably too much.

Please help!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ThemWyatts @ Sep 3 2005, 07:51 AM)
I am changing the oil today. I decided to go with Castrol, I had an MGB years ago and it seemed to work the best, I am a firm believer in it.
My question is , how much oil should I expect to use?
I see nothing in anything that I have read that says what range (safe range) is good.
Please advise.

I know it is a rather elementary question for many of you. But we all have to start somewhere.

I know, if it is overflowing in the street, that is probably too much.

Please help!

For summer use, 20w50, and about 4 quarts. The lines on the dipstick are .5 quart apart. If you clean the sump screen, you'll need a gasket kit, and the torque on the sump plate nut is 11 ft/lbs. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!!!!. If you only change the oil and use the drain plug, you need a new copper crush washer, and it MUST have the barely-visible seam pointed AWAY from the engine, toward the head of the drain plug (same for the seal on the sump nut).
Your choice of winter oil is based on your climate and I can't comment on that. Use a Mann, Knecht, or Mahle filter. NO FRAM!, they're among the worst filters out there. The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
The Book says 9.4 lb-ft, Cap'n...

--DD
ThemWyatts
Thank you both very much for the input. pray.gif

I am learning as I go!

joeav8tor
3.7 quarts with the filter change.
Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.