Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: surfboard carrier?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey guys.

well im buying a surfboard- a 9'6" to be exact. how can i utilize my 914 to get the board and me too the beach? strap it to the targa? buy another top and put rack on it? stick it out the top of the car? (passenger footwell thru the roof)
Qarl
I like the 2nd Top idea... You can pick one up on E-bay or a swap meet for $50 to $100.

Then you can drill holes in it and not really care.

Find a regular surfboard rack and mount it to the top...

The other idea is to strap it sideways on the rear trunk. Just make sure you are the ONLY car on the road if you choose this option... ha ha!
Jeffs9146
I used a soft rack attached to the back of the targa and I had a trunk luggage rack that I strapped it to!

Jeff
airsix
Once upon a time didn't someone make a surfboard rack for the 914? Didn't it use the foam-fill holes on the bottom of the targa bar like the ski rack?
-Ben M.
VegasRacer
Somebody showed up a few years ago at one of the 914 Owners Association meets with a long board attached to their teener. If I remember it was a two piece rack that attached to the trunk and targa top. I'll search thru my non-digital photos to see if I can find a picture.

I don't think this vintage ad from 73 will help with your 9-1/2 foot board.
nomore4
I thought about using a spare roof to attach a rack to but was afraid of it tearing off. I had a rack full of boards blow off my Dart on top of a bridge once. Mine goes out the roof. As a bonus it leaves no roof for my sponger friends. laugh.gif
ninefourteener
nomore4........ Where did you get that rear spoiler????

I want one of those!!
Qarl
ninefourteener?

No you don't want one of those spoilers!
nomore4
The trunk lid is from AIR.
ninefourteener
Yea, thats kinda what I figured... AIR.

Too $$$$$$ for me--LOL
Dave_Darling
Steve Stromberg, over on the Pelican BBS (or steve@pelicanparts.com) is a certified 914 nut, and also a surfer. He uses his 914s to transport surfboards all the time. See what he uses.

--DD
grantsfo
I remeber seeing some surf racks on 914's back in the Seventies. Metal rack that appearted to hook in similar places as ski rack for the car. Lately I think people use soft racks (type where you strap foam tubes to roof and trunk.
markb
We just sold a top at the shop with a modified ski rack that was being used for a surfboard. Worked well, looked nice. The only modification to the rack was having rollbar-type material wrapped aroung the bars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.