Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
From some of my reading it sounds like a 195 55 15 for my new tires.

6" rims.

1.7 motor.

pretty much a street car that i like to have some fun with. I do some freeway cruising in it so i am hesitant to go smaller than 55's. Dont really care to drive it in the rain. I do like to go up the canyons though.

what do you think?
Howard
Brer, know this is posted here somewhere, too, but here's a Tire size claculator.

205/50/15's have almost the same diameter as 195/55's and better performance. Both are smaller than stock, so buzzy, but IMHO worth it for the handling and acceleration. Speedo will be off about 10% with either. Biggest tire I found that will duplicate stock rolling radius (165/80/15 or so) without messing with the fenders is 195/65/15.

I solved the problem by having both biggrin.gif but sure hate putting the 'street' tires on.

rhodyguy
why 55s? you could just go with 60s and your speedo will be near if not dead on.

k
brer
dont want to mess with the fenders!
do want to have better handling, and a good cruising car.

I'm planning a cross country trip in the next year.
brer
what the biggest size i can use without rolling the fenders then?
I'm going to put those Deep Six alloys on it for the time being.

6" with 120mm offset. like the gt rim.
brer
you cant do 205's without rolling the fenders correct?
TravisNeff
I have 205x55 which from the looks of it is a little lower than 195x60's. I have aftermarket enkei wheels, I had to to some nasty work to get them to fit.

However, if you have stock wheels (you have stock steelies right?) they should fit without a problem. Unless your steelies are bug type wheels, and even with 195x60 you'll probably have to do a little work on your fenders.
brer
New Rims are coming soon!

Dropped those early Fuchs alloys off at Al Reeds Specialty Polishing yesterday.
So i'm going to use those until I get the set I'm really after.

Eventually I'd like it to have a set of the WCH Billet 911 wheels that look like stock 911 steels, and run hubcaps with those. Until i'm super rich i'm going to run the Fuchs alloys.

The KUMHO ECSTA Supra 712 seems affordable and comes in the size 195/55VR15

I would do 205's but I really dont want to roll the fenders. Its one of those situations where you buy all the stuff and then see if it fits. eeks. I'm also keeping the 1.7 motor.

Anyone with a -6 running deep 6" Fuchs on stock setup? Whats their tires of choice?
TravisNeff
several people run 205's with 5 lug fuchs without fender mods that I have heard of, they have the right offset. But I'll let others comment that have BTDT
Tobra
I almost went with a 195-55-15, but decided to go for the 60's due primarily to ride considerations. You will have a lot more choices with a 195-55-15 than a 195-60-15 for performance tires as this is the stock size for the integra type R and GSR, I think a few others too.

I had the Kumho tires you refer to on my integra in a 205-50-15 and would never buy them again. They were pretty good when new, but started to pull side to side, follow grooves in road badly and make a lot more noise. I am much more impressed with yokohama, and got the ES 100's, will pick them up today, and report back. I have had several sets of yokohama tires and have not been disappointed by their performance(they do wear a bit fast) They are a bit more $$ than the Kumhos, but to my mind, your tires are the most important part of your suspension.
gregrobbins
Running Toyo 205/50X15 on 15X6 five lug Fuchs with stock fenders.
brer
I got the 205's in the end.
Curse you racer people.
Its so irresponsible. rolleyes.gif
Howard
50's ? What brand?
brer
Yokohama. 75 a piece.
Was going to get the Azenis, but went with the ones that were $100 less money in case i dont like the way they ride or such.

I changed my order 5 times at the credit card input page.
The website server must have been really irritated with me.

195/60 or 205/50

I'm going to have to watch it with my restored rims now i'm thinking.
Allan
QUOTE (brer @ Sep 3 2005, 04:50 PM)
I changed my order 5 times at the credit card input page.

Hope you don't end up with 5 sets of tires on you doorstep...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (brer @ Sep 3 2005, 11:49 AM)
you cant do 205's without rolling the fenders correct?

On most, but not all 914s--with stock wheels. Depends on the exact details of how your 914 was assembled at the Karmann factory.

Many aftermarket wheels will not let you fit 205s. Some of the Bug ones won't let you fit anything wider than 165s!!

--DD
Bleyseng
I had no problems using 205x50's on 911 6" Fuchs with stock fenders now running the 7" Cookies caused some fender problems..........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.